Stannis’s death

Stannis Baratheon. The man needs no introduction. A seasoned battle commander and badass, he is arguably the best suited to the Iron Throne. But even the most hardcore Stannis fans agree that he will not sit the Iron Throne. But he won’t die a wimpy death like in the show. How would Stannis’s eventual death be poetic and meaningful ? How would you write Stannis’s death so it is relevant to the plot and not just an off-screen death?

I just hope that he ends up having a choice of going north or going south at some point. The Others threaten to break the wall, when he's poised to march south to claim the Iron Throne. He makes the correct choice and dies defending the North from the Others. The death of an infamous claimant to the Iron Throne is what causes the other pretenders to take the threat from the north seriously. 

I think Stannis will burn the weirwood at the Crofters' village and execute Theon, but he'll hear a voice from the fire (from the tree in reality) yelling No! From there on everything will go catastrophically wrong, forcing him to retreat back to the Wall.

Along the way he will hear Selyse and co fled to the Night Fort after making a mess of the alliance with the free folk. At the Night Fort, Selyse will try to fill in Mel's role (who has abandoned Stannis as she stayed at Castle Black with Jon), and she will convince Stannis to make sacrifices, especially as he'll believe he screwed up and didn't do what R'hllor wanted because of the voice he heard.

It will do no good whatsoever, and winter will continue to worsen.

Defeated, having lost everything, he will order his men to take the black, and then he'll announce he's taking the black as well. Since his men will outnumber the watch they will vote him in as 999th lord commander (666 flipped).

He'll open the Black Gate and disappear in the winter storm.

“So as cold and death filled the earth, the last hero determined to seek out the children, in the hopes that their ancient magics could win back what the armies of men had lost. He set out into the dead lands with a sword, a horse, a dog, and a dozen companions. [...] One by one his friends died, and his horse, and finally even his dog, and his sword froze so hard the blade snapped when he tried to use it. And the Others smelled the hot blood in him and came silent on his trail...

Zombie Brienne, the Undead Hound, will take the sword and slay the kingslayer

- First, she will do Jaime

- Second, she will do Gregor

- Third, she will do Stannis

- Finally, she will go after Sansa.

Jaime will come back as Zombie Jaime.  He will have his own list:

- First he will do Lancel;

- Second he will do Kettleback(s)

- Third he will do Moonboy;

- Finally he will come after Cersei.

8 minutes ago, Mister Smikes said:

Poor Moon Boy. 

I think he or Jon will be the next Night's King. Actually, TBH I'm sick of him, so my wish is for a delightful session of freezing to death along with the rest of his fanatics. 

Remember when Qhorin said:

"The cold winds are rising. Mormont feared as much. Benjen Stark felt it as well. Dead men walk and the trees have eyes again. Why should we balk at wargs and giants?"

The cold winds already rose south of The Wall, the trees have eyes again and there are also wargs and giants.

Soon the accursed kinslayer will be feeding hundreds of Freys to the lake next to that ancient weirwood tree. Don't play with old powers and don't feed the trees!

3 hours ago, Lord Lannister said:

I just hope that he ends up having a choice of going north or going south at some point. The Others threaten to break the wall, when he's poised to march south to claim the Iron Throne. He makes the correct choice and dies defending the North from the Others. The death of an infamous claimant to the Iron Throne is what causes the other pretenders to take the threat from the north seriously. 

I would really love this. Stannis is probably my favourite character in the series, and this would be a fitting end for his character arc; the final culmination in his journey from fighting only to get the Iron Throne, all else be damned, to fighting for a greater cause, and a more selfless one. 

Stannis will almost certainly die before the end of the series, but I hope it's in a noble and heroic way, as rare as those are in this series.

I’d like to see Stannis face off with the Others. Do well and have a confrontation where “lightbringer” shatters along with his expectations. Maybe too much in common with Royce in GoT prologue from a visual moment, but the main idea feels fitting. False hero revealed and opening the door for the other characters to reconsider who Azor Ahai really could be.

2 hours ago, rotting sea cow said:

I really believe that Stannis will be the 1000th Lord Commander of the Night's Watch (another good candidate is Jaime) and he will be in charge of organizing the defense against the Others and die in his post.

What of his wife and kid? What of Mel? What of his men and lords?

10 minutes ago, Falcon2909 said:

What of his wife and kid? What of Mel? What of his men and lords?

Well, there is the theory (quite justifiable) that Stannis will burn poor Shireen, probably in an effort to avert the invasion of the Others. When that fails, his wife will probably commit suicide. Melisandre's endgame it's harder to guess. I think that at least a good fraction of Stannis surviving army will become part of a reinvigorated NW.

11 hours ago, Brynden"Bloodraven" Rivers said:

Stannis Baratheon. The man needs no introduction. A seasoned battle commander and badass, he is arguably the best suited to the Iron Throne. But even the most hardcore Stannis fans agree that he will not sit the Iron Throne. But he won’t die a wimpy death like in the show. How would Stannis’s eventual death be poetic and meaningful ? How would you write Stannis’s death so it is relevant to the plot and not just an off-screen death?

He'll probably burn Shireen in desperation against the Others.  He'll then possibly die in a suicidal action against the Others.  Hopefully, it works.  In any event,  I expect him to go down fighting.  "Give up" isn't part of his vocabulary. 

4 hours ago, Nevets said:

He'll probably burn Shireen in desperation against the Others.  He'll then possibly die in a suicidal action against the Others.  Hopefully, it works.  In any event,  I expect him to go down fighting.  "Give up" isn't part of his vocabulary. 

Just curious, why does everyone believe Shireen is going to be burnt by Stannis? I thought it was just a bad decision for the TV Series. Why would Stannis burn his only living heir and issue and for what? He explicitly states that he loves her with all his heart and he would never sacrifice her for whatever Melisandre promises him.

I suspect Stannis gets an offscreen death which turns out to be fake, but in the end we'll see him burn.

24 minutes ago, Brynden"Bloodraven" Rivers said:

Just curious, why does everyone believe Shireen is going to be burnt by Stannis?

I don't recall if this was actually Martin confirmed or if it was like King Bran where they announced in the DVD extras or something that this was a plot turn right from Martin's mouth, but it was one of the two.   

25 minutes ago, Aejohn the Conqueroo said:

I suspect Stannis gets an offscreen death which turns out to be fake, but in the end we'll see him burn.

I don't recall if this was actually Martin confirmed or if it was like King Bran where they announced in the DVD extras or something that this was a plot turn right from Martin's mouth, but it was one of the two.   

I put this in there with why Dany went Mad. I think that its what Martin had planned all along. Personally, I thought King Bran was obvious in the opening of the first book. I suppose that Martin could always change his mind, but Bran finds helpless puppy's. Bran loses his legs. he has all the empathy. Most importantly if used properly, he can see just about everything. 

As for Stannis, I suspect that Stannis dies unexpectedly in battle. He can't be raised back because Melisandre is with Jon. I think it's at this time that Melisandre figures out, perhaps with Brans help, who Jon actually is. This sets up three Targarayans for the end of the book. Also am coming of the opinion that there is a revelation coming with Tyrion. The irony may be that Tyrion may be the bastard, his father knew it and chose to raise him as his son anyway. Which would be the hardest revelation for Tyrian to hear, because it makes Tywin not what Tyrian wants him to be. 

3 hours ago, Brynden"Bloodraven" Rivers said:

Just curious, why does everyone believe Shireen is going to be burnt by Stannis? I thought it was just a bad decision for the TV Series. Why would Stannis burn his only living heir and issue and for what? He explicitly states that he loves her with all his heart and he would never sacrifice her for whatever Melisandre promises him.

Do you want spoilers?? Because that's how you get spoilers.

Read them at your peril.

Spoiler

Martin confirmed a few months ago that the decision of burning Shireen was Stannis's.

41 minutes ago, frenin said:

Do you want spoilers?? Because that's how you get spoilers.

Read them at your peril.

Reveal hidden contents

Martin confirmed a few months ago that the decision of burning Shireen was Stannis's.

I’m curious is this in the show or the books because Stannis is not with shireen rn 

12 minutes ago, Brynden"Bloodraven" Rivers said:

I’m curious is this in the show or the books because Stannis is not with shireen rn 

Spoiler

Both, so the implication is that he'll be near her at some point in the future. Then, he'll marinate her for a good bbq.

18 hours ago, Mister Smikes said:

Zombie Brienne, the Undead Hound, will take the sword and slay the kingslayer

- First, she will do Jaime

- Second, she will do Gregor

- Third, she will do Stannis

- Finally, she will go after Sansa.

Jaime will come back as Zombie Jaime.  He will have his own list:

- First he will do Lancel;

- Second he will do Kettleback(s)

- Finally he will come after Cersei.

So once zombified they will take revenge on people who they feel wronged them in life? Seems like such a petty use of the power over life and death. LSH seems hellbent for vengeance, but I don't see it in Cold Hands or Beric. Jaffer and Hothor were definitely out to make a couple of key assassinations, but I suspect that they had more to do with being strategic targets for their masters than resolving some personal grudge with the targets in question.  What do you see that leads you to Jamie and Brienne wanting revenge?

Archived