Stannis’s death

3 minutes ago, Lord Lannister said:

I'm just curious if you have the source of that handy. Thanks for sharing either way. 

Screenrant has it 

The Three Most Shocking Game of Thrones Spoilers GRRM Told Showrunners (screenrant.com)

Money quote:

It wasn't easy for me. I didn't want to give away my books. It's not easy to talk about the end of my books. Every character has a different end. I told them who would be on the Iron Throne, and I told them some big twists like Hodor and 'hold the door,' and Stannis's decision to burn his daughter. We didn't get to everybody by any means. Especially the minor characters, who mau have very different endings."

Just now, Aejohn the Conqueroo said:

Yeah... I've always been a Stannis fan but that's going to be a hard one to square.

Yeah an ideal ending for me would be what @Lord Lannister mentioned because it fits with his character more than burning shireen to try and summon the stone dragon or something

1 minute ago, Lord Lannister said:

Agree. I was hoping the distance between the two of them, if it was going to happen it'd be Melisandre. 

I personally suspect it will be Stannis' queen that harps on it when 'the time comes'. It would be interesting if Mel had nothing to do with the decision when it gets made (even though with the knowledge the decision is going to be made we can deduce that she insisted Shireen  be brought north solely for the purpose of said burning)

1 minute ago, Aejohn the Conqueroo said:

I personally suspect it will be Stannis' queen that harps on it when 'the time comes'. It would be interesting if Mel had nothing to do with the decision when it gets made (even though with the knowledge the decision is going to be made we can deduce that she insisted Shireen  be brought north solely for the purpose of said burning)

Mel has other kings blood nearby tho. She has Cregan Karstark(Bc of ancient Stark line), Monster, the descendants of Raymund Redbeard and even Jon(if R+L=J) 

11 minutes ago, Aejohn the Conqueroo said:

It wasn't easy for me. I didn't want to give away my books. It's not easy to talk about the end of my books. Every character has a different end. I told them who would be on the Iron Throne, and I told them some big twists like Hodor and 'hold the door,' and Stannis's decision to burn his daughter. We didn't get to everybody by any means. Especially the minor characters, who mau have very different endings."

after Stannis left Shireen back in the wall , I hoped that Selyse and/or Mel will burn her without Stannis knowing it... he must get so desperate that he goes back to " what is a boy's life against the realm " and all.....

and one more thing... that means Bran does end up on the iron throne itself???? I honestly assumed King Bran thing would work out in some other way .. like Bran becomes King of children of forest or something... for this to happen he REALLY REALLY needs to have a way way bigger role in the winds

4 minutes ago, EggBlue said:

after Stannis left Shireen back in the wall , I hoped that Selyse and/or Mel will burn her without Stannis knowing it... he must get so desperate that he goes back to " what is a boy's life against the realm " and all.....

and one more thing... that means Bran does end up on the iron throne itself???? I honestly assumed King Bran thing would work out in some other way .. like Bran becomes King of children of forest or something... for this to happen he REALLY REALLY needs to have a way way bigger role in the winds

Yeah. There seems to be a pretty huge leap between where we last saw him in the books and where we last saw him in the show and the show doesn't do much to connect the dots.

I think you can take everything Marwyn says about prophesy and substitute the word 'spoilers'. We'd all have been better off not knowing some of this stuff.

42 minutes ago, Aejohn the Conqueroo said:

So once zombified they will take revenge on people who they feel wronged them in life? Seems like such a petty use of the power over life and death. LSH seems hellbent for vengeance, but I don't see it in Cold Hands or Beric. Jaffer and Hothor were definitely out to make a couple of key assassinations, but I suspect that they had more to do with being strategic targets for their masters than resolving some personal grudge with the targets in question.  What do you see that leads you to Jamie and Brienne wanting revenge?

According to GRRM in an SSM, fire wights (such as Beric) are driven by their oaths, but also lose aspects of themselves.

Brienne did take a vengeance oath ("I swore it 3 times") to take King Renly's sword and kill King Renly's slayer (Stannis).  Catelyn, in turn, made an oath to Brienne that she would not keep her from this mission, and Brienne took service to Catelyn on that understanding.  As Brienne was being hanged, she screamed the word "sword", which represented the choice to "take the sword and slay the kinglsayer", which in this case refers to Jaime.  I suspect, therefore that her two oaths to kill kingslayers have been generalized in her Zombie mind, and her mission is now to hunt and slay any kingslayer (regardless of whether it has anything to do with her own personal vengeance).  She also has taken oaths to search out and find Sansa.  But Sansa is (reputedly) a kingslayer, so that's not going to go well.

As for Jaime, his repetition of the mantra "Lancel and Kettleback and Moonboy for all I know", and the twitching of his phantom (killing) hand when he thinks of Cersei's betrayal, suggest the possibility that that he was engaged in homicidal musings, and maybe a muttered oath, as he trudged through the woods with Zombie Brienne behind him, as she prepared to strike.

I do suspect the dark force behind fire wights has a malevolent purpose of its own.  But if so, it must work with what it is given (in the form of some kind of oath) and twist them to its own purposes.  There was not much it could do with Beric's oaths, which were noble ones, so when the time came the force discarded Beric in favor of Stoneheart.

GRRM's SSM seemed to apply to fire wights.  It is not clear that he means ice wights to operate by the same rules.

Nice. That all makes logical sense, maybe a leap with Jamie, but it may be a good leap.

3 minutes ago, Mister Smikes said:

GRRM's SSM seemed to apply to fire wights.  It is not clear that he means ice wights to operate by the same rules.

I know he's made the distinction between ice and fire wights in one of his interviews, I wonder how different they actually are though. I personally suspect that it's not very much, but I'll admit that's discounting some obvious differences like the fact that the wights at the wall never spoke and our others have.

I have a lot of issues with Stannis but much of his arc is about doing the hard stuff that doesn't get rewarded. Robert has epic song friendly battles like the Ruby Ford and the Battle of the Bells but Stannis has a long grueling siege that no one sings about. Stannis is the only contender for the throne that came to the aid of the Night's Watch and look what happened. No one is really happy with him. The North isn't happy because he let wildings through the wall even though he stopped the invasion. The wildings aren't happy because he made them take his god even though he brought them through the wall. It would be totally fitting to have Stannis march off to a horrible but important battle with the Others but get little credit for it even though he dies saving people. 

1 hour ago, EggBlue said:

And Davos wouldn't be there to save Stannis from himself. I always figured Davos and Melisandre were like the cartoon angel and devil on Stannis' shoulders telling him to do good/evil things respectively. 

1 hour ago, Brynden"Bloodraven" Rivers said:

Mel has other kings blood nearby tho. She has Cregan Karstark(Bc of ancient Stark line), Monster, the descendants of Raymund Redbeard and even Jon(if R+L=J) 

How do you "get" kingsblood? Do you simply say you're a king and bim, you have kingsblood? It's odd. 

17 hours ago, Jaenara Belarys said:

How do you "get" kingsblood? Do you simply say you're a king and bim, you have kingsblood? It's odd. 

You don't decide.  The deranged occultist who is thinking of burning you to death is the one who decides what counts as having "kings blood".  If the magic doesn't work, he'll just have to redefine his terms and try again with a new victim.  And I suppose, in theory at least, the demon god he worships is not a mere puppet-on-a-string, and gets to have a say in whether he is pleased with a particular human sacrifice, or whether he thinks it's fun to get his follower to murder more people before he hands out some kind of cursed magical reward.

23 hours ago, Brynden"Bloodraven" Rivers said:

Stannis Baratheon. The man needs no introduction. A seasoned battle commander and badass, he is arguably the best suited to the Iron Throne. But even the most hardcore Stannis fans agree that he will not sit the Iron Throne. But he won’t die a wimpy death like in the show. How would Stannis’s eventual death be poetic and meaningful ? How would you write Stannis’s death so it is relevant to the plot and not just an off-screen death?

The main adversary for Stannis is Roose.  The two bastards, Jon and Ramsay, will carry the fight after the elders are gone.  Jon the wight and Ramsay will fight over Arya, Winterfell and the north.  Roose will win his fight with Stannis but he will loose to Mance and the Wildlings. The harsh weather, and starvation will kill the survivors.  Most in the north will die. The white walkers will wightify the dead and Jon will be the zombie king in the north. The north will become the land of the wights. 

2 hours ago, Aejohn the Conqueroo said:

Nice. That all makes logical sense, maybe a leap with Jamie, but it may be a good leap.

Yeah, the Jaime part is more of a stretch - basically taking the original idea and running ahead with it.  One point I forgot to mention, though, is Lancel's (prophetic?) dream about Jaime coming to kill him.

On 10/21/2021 at 8:50 PM, Brynden"Bloodraven" Rivers said:

Stannis Baratheon. The man needs no introduction. A seasoned battle commander and badass, he is arguably the best suited to the Iron Throne. But even the most hardcore Stannis fans agree that he will not sit the Iron Throne. But he won’t die a wimpy death like in the show. How would Stannis’s eventual death be poetic and meaningful ? How would you write Stannis’s death so it is relevant to the plot and not just an off-screen death?

First of all, to paraphrase Balin from "The Hobbit": It's not a show... it's an ABOMINATION!

And if I had my way regarding Stannis' death? He lives long enough to take on the Others or Daenerys (whichever one of them is more evil by the end of the story) and dies heroically in battle (which is ironically just as his elder brother Robert wished he himself had died). Only the North would remember him, but they'd remember him as the King who Cared. If I had my way further, I'd also make doubly sure that he plays no part in Shireen's burning; maybe he even kills Selyse's personal knights for allowing it to happen.

Archived