UK Politics - BoJo Kool-Aid vs Project Fear Cocktail of Terror

A wilding

8 hours ago, broken one said:

As far as I know companies employ them for contacts they have rather than any skills, they can handle stuff with certain people.

The one talent required is to enjoy the feeling of a cold wet tongue traveling down the Crack of one's ass.

8 hours ago, A wilding said:

The classic behaviour of a dictator of course.

But for me, the true take home there is how far the Tory party has sunk. How may previous Tory leaders were able to that? Which of them had no "big beasts" who had to be included in the cabinet because of their ability, stature and following?

The Tory Party once sunk so low they had to elect Iain Duncan Smith as leader, an act of desperation that still makes them shudder in disbelief. I'm not sure they're quite at the same level - at least then they were in opposition! - but electing Raab or Patel as leader would be at least a comparable level of incompetence.

I am trying to recall when a party in government with a strong majority lacked any heavy hitters or people capable of formulating a power base or being proven vote-winner. That might be why Johnson endures, because there's literally no one else who they have confidence can win votes from the population at large, but if there is the feeling that Johnson is too badly damaged to be even reliable to do that any more, they're going to be in dire straits.

Not necessarily that the Labour Party is in a much stronger position, but Starmer's somewhat staid and boring reputation - John Major Mk. II? - might be a stronger vote winner then you'd think. Unfortunately it's still some considerable time before the next election and the Tories might be able to effect a recovery, somehow. They probably need a promising new leadership candidate, maybe from the new northern intake who is unsullied by all the bullshit of the previous few years.

7 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Johnson makes a shamble of his speech to business leaders.

“But later, before heading back to Downing Street, the PM gave an interview to a reporter, who simply asked: "Is everything OK?"”

Johnson’s “doesnt she look tired?” moment? (A Dr Who reference)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-59373237

The picture of him at Peppa Pig World in that article has him looking happier than he has for a long time. Maybe we'd all be happier if he gave up on politics and spent more time there?

7 hours ago, Werthead said:

I am trying to recall when a party in government with a strong majority lacked any heavy hitters or people capable of formulating a power base or being proven vote-winner. That might be why Johnson endures, because there's literally no one else who they have confidence can win votes from the population at large, but if there is the feeling that Johnson is too badly damaged to be even reliable to do that any more, they're going to be in dire straits.

The sad part is, Johnson really wasn't delivering a particularly strong campaign. The late days of his last eelection he was haunted by being confronted with the father of a sick child and Johnson looking away from that man's cell phone and Johnson literally hiding in a fridge to dodge reporters. And he ended up with that super majority, because Labour under Corbyn was this absolute shambles. That some people in Labour, or supporting Labour think, they should get Corbyn or one of his guys back in charge is mind boggling. 

I’m imagining that Carrie was telling bedtime stories to little Wilfred and Boris was hanging about awkwardly in the background. Wilfred was like, “mummy, what does business mean?” and Carrie said, “well, you know how we’re going to Peppa Pig World tomorrow … Total lightbulb moment for Boris.

4 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

I can confirm that before 16/17 and the ghostbusters/Dr who double whammy there was no crime. 

Must have been a crime wave in 1989 when Dr Who was cancelled, and Adrien, Jonathan and Sebastian started causing shit in the park, coked up out of their faces.

But he said it went further than 007, adding: "In recent years we have seen Doctor Who, Ghostbusters, Luke Skywalker, the Equaliser, all replaced by women, and men are left with the Krays and Tommy Shelby.

The fucking Equaliser?! That’s how short of examples he was? Yea I know I was devastated when that mediocre action film from 7 years ago got a female lead series (that I’d never heard of and had to look up).

Nick Fletcher:

"(I) in no way linked Dr Who being female to crime being committed by men"

Also Nick Fletcher:

"In recent years we have seen Doctor Who, Ghostbusters, Luke Skywalker, the Equaliser, all replaced by women, and men are left with the Krays and Tommy Shelby. 

"Is there any wonder we are seeing so many young men committing crime?

6 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Seems he was actually making a good point about lack of positive male role models , which is actually pretty true. 

Strange, because that letter confirms he was talking crap and doesn't understand the criticisms he has rightly received.

His point, which was not at all nuanced and was pretty clearly understood by his critics, was indeed that there are fewer male role models. What he has missed is that a, there are still more male role models than female (or nb) ones; b, there have historically been few female, nb, minority ethnic, lgbt role models but these groups don't offend in larger numbers; and c, his point is therefore crap. It seeks to explain the world only in terms of men and the things that affect men. He thinks he's making a good point: in fact he's only exhibiting the narrowness of his worldview.

2 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

You have not included everything he said which removes the context. Thought you were better than that 

If the second quote from the BBC news article is actually two quotes stitched together then I retract, if not, then he’s clearly linking those two things regardless of context.

Archived