UK Politics - BoJo Kool-Aid vs Project Fear Cocktail of Terror

A wilding

3 hours ago, A wilding said:

Meanwhile, away from a random Tory MP letting his prejudices slip out ...

Would love to put this story to bed, but the poor little emasculated snowflake cretin has actually sent his wife out to defend him in the media.

Unbelievable.

3 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Would love to put this story to bed, but the poor little emasculated snowflake cretin has actually sent his wife out to defend him in the media.

Unbelievable.

Hey, can’t you give the guy some slack. he clearly had very little/no positive male role models growing up to show him not to be sexist asshole.

Though seriously anyone who thinks this guy might have a point; just look up what action movies hit theaters this year and who their protagonists are. It’s not who far-right babies say.

also I found this; 

48 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Unbelievable.

Um, that’s a spoof video.

(or has he actually sent his wife out and this is a spoof of that?)

58 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Unbelievable.

Everyone who thinx such bs should be forced to watch McDonald & Dobbs!  Both seasons.  Three times. The whole deal in that series is that it takes aggression and thoughtfulness, quick thinking and meticulous research, those qualities working together to get 'er done. It doesn't matter in which sort of body or gender identification any of those qualities are lodged -- it's the qualities themselves, which are in the minds inserted into all sorts of bodies -- not just white CIS males.  :cheers:

11 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Your post made it unclear if you were aware :p

Come on, surely I deserve a bit more credit.

Though, reading the text of my post back, it might appear that I didn't realise it was a joke. On the other hand, surely the nature of the tweet I posted - I mean, it is sooooooo obvious she is taking the piss - justified my decision to go full deadpan. :D

33 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Come on, surely I deserve a bit more credit.

Though, reading the text of my post back, it might appear that I didn't realise it was a joke. On the other hand, surely the nature of the tweet I posted - I mean, it is sooooooo obvious she is taking the piss - justified my decision to go full deadpan. :D

We have a PM mumbling about Peppa Big in front of the CBI. 
We’re through the looking glass on what might or might not be satire

7 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Again, I think pointing out the trend is important, because it shows a direction of travel.

If we think that the way we portray the sexes in the media is important to the social fabric ( and lots of people clearly feel that was hence the large push to create a very particular positive female presence on screen) then shouldn’t we also pay attention to the way men are portrayed? Why is ok to worry about female stereotypes but not male ones?

If we want equality then what we’d want is a whole range of characters where sex and gender doesn’t totally define who they are allowed to be. A lot of energy has seemingly been poured into correcting for the past by throwing in a load of lazily written ‘strong independent women’ characters at basically all the major franchises, whilst at the same time making men nothing more than the butt of the joke. It was funny for a bit but then you wonder if it will get to a point where things will even out. 

Fletcher comes across as rather ridiculous because it seems like he’s connecting lack of male Doctor Who’s to crime, but on a wider point he is kinda right that there is an assumption that men just have it easy, that they can just glide through life. But the trend lines on a number of areas don’t look good for men, for instance doing worse in education. At what point do we look at that and have to start writing more ‘strong independent don’t need no woman bad ass men’

Growing up in the 50s through the 70s, I can tell you a lot of men did skate through life. Men are doing worse in education because the are taking 'dad', who got a Ivy League degree just by showing up, as a role model. George W Bush is not the exception to the rule, but the example of the rule. If you have nothing handed to you because of race, class or gender, one does work harder because when things get tough the Dubyas get looked after and the rest of us use our wits to survive. Does anyone really think Bojo makes his way through life depending on talent and intelligence? 

33 minutes ago, maarsen said:

Growing up in the 50s through the 70s, I can tell you a lot of men did skate through life. Men are doing worse in education because the are taking 'dad', who got a Ivy League degree just by showing up, as a role model. George W Bush is not the exception to the rule, but the example of the rule. If you have nothing handed to you because of race, class or gender, one does work harder because when things get tough the Dubyas get looked after and the rest of us use our wits to survive. Does anyone really think Bojo makes his way through life depending on talent and intelligence? 

Pretty sure the 50s-70s were quite a long time ago.. even if as a dumb male I can tell you that 

4 minutes ago, HoodedCrow said:

People can always watch an almost endless amount of T.V. and movies that show white “hetero” male  leads, and women that don’t do a lot. Maybe there needs to be a new rating system:)

Yeah there is plenty of stuff from the 50-70s they can go watch it seems

12 hours ago, Week said:

Bond is a positive role model for young men?

Yes, absolutely.

Let me tell you the story, of a man coming from a family of impverished French migrants, who was inspired by James Bond to become the greatest PM since Neville Chamberlain.

Face masks back to mandatory for shopping and travel and SI for 10 days if you close contact someone with the new variant, even if double jabbed. 

At least they are responding I suppose. Going to be hard to get people to put their masks back on though, after all this time. 

10 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Face masks back to mandatory for shopping and travel and SI for 10 days if you close contact someone with the new variant, even if double jabbed. 

At least they are responding I suppose. Going to be hard to get people to put their masks back on though, after all this time. 

No problem for those of us who never stopped. But mask-wearing in shops should never have stopped in the first place, it was totally insane they did.

3 minutes ago, Werthead said:

No problem for those of us who never stopped. But mask-wearing in shops should never have stopped in the first place, it was totally insane they did.

Not sure if its just circumstantial, but the train I'm on now has a much higher compliance rate than normal. Wonder if everyone is getting worried and adjusting.

I'm so looking forward to being able to argue with people on the train again.

5 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Where I live, most people still wear in shops.

Just now, Derfel Cadarn said:

Where I live, most people still wear in shops.

Ditto. Masks in shops still mandatory here, though some people are half-assed about it. I get really annoyed by the ones that cover their mouths but not their noses. Not due to Covid fear - it just doesn't make sense. I don't get why they bother to wear a mask at all. 

Archived