NFL Week 8 Bungals King of the Jungles

l2 0 5 5

Wait how is Schefter not a journalist?  He may have done something unethical here - honestly I haven't looked into it and really don't care - but he's, like, one of the most influential NFL journalists there is.  It's not like he's publishing opinion pieces, people look to him for scoops.

LOL, I just checked Schefter's wikipedia page and this was the two sentences right now:  

Adam Schefter (born December 21, 1966) is an American sports writer and television analyst. He is a 4’10” TV puppet scum bag who works for Mr. Editor.

17 minutes ago, DMC said:

Wait how is Schefter not a journalist?  He may have done something unethical here - honestly I haven't looked into it and really don't care - but he's, like, one of the most influential NFL journalists there is.  It's not like he's publishing opinion pieces, people look to him for scoops.

For the most part he's been a journalist in the same sense that TMZ is journalism, and that's before his recent "scandal" revealed that he's letting the subject of his stories edit them. Literally just about every journalist I've heard comment on the story that's not attached to ESPN has firmly said he's not a journalist in their view, and that seems to be their take on all the news breakers. Make of that what you will.

5 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

For the most part he's been a journalist in the same sense that TMZ is journalism, and that's before his recent "scandal" revealed that he's letting the subject of his stories edit them.

I dunno I always thought of him as one of ESPN's top NFL journalists, basically the national one in front of all their regional or even kind of beat writers.  I suspect the reaction you're seeing is more the fact that a lotta people think what he did was especially non-journalistic, not that he wasn't a journalist to begin with.

23 minutes ago, DMC said:

I dunno I always thought of him as one of ESPN's top NFL journalists, basically the national one in front of all their regional or even kind of beat writers.  I suspect the reaction you're seeing is more the fact that a lotta people think what he did was especially non-journalistic, not that he wasn't a journalist to begin with.

Not really. Those opinions were there before the recent revelations. That doesn't mean they don't respect what he does, just that they view it as not being the same as what they do. WOJ, OTOH, seems to be hated by a lot of these same folks, and it sounds like he does some shady shit to stay on top of the NBA leak beat. 

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

Not really. Those opinions were there before the recent revelations. That doesn't mean they don't respect what he does, just that they view it as not being the same as what they do.

Well, I don't know who you're referring to, but I really don't buy this crap that he isn't a journalist.

28 minutes ago, DMC said:

Well, I don't know who you're referring to, but I really don't buy this crap that he isn't a journalist.

I could cite a number of more traditional journalists, but I'll start with Howard Bryant as I regard him highly. He's argued for a while that news breakers are effectively more like PR reps for sports agents than journalists, and that was before this recent thing with Schefty happen which he said was for the most part a violation of the basic tenets of journalism. 

Unrelated, but I've meant to ask you Niners fans this for a week or two now. Is there any worry that Shanny might get fired at the end of the season? And do the fans want to see him go? I keep seeing articles saying that he may get let go after the season if he fails to make the playoffs.

6 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Is there any worry that Shanny might get fired at the end of the season? And do the fans want to see him go? I keep seeing articles saying that he may get let go after the season if he fails to make the playoffs.

I reserve the right to refuse to answer whether or not he should be fired until the end of the season.  Is Shanahan on the hot seat right now?  Wouldn't quite say that, but it's definitely warm.

11 hours ago, DMC said:

I reserve the right to refuse to answer whether or not he should be fired until the end of the season.  Is Shanahan on the hot seat right now?  Wouldn't quite say that, but it's definitely warm.

This where I am.  If you forced me to answer, I would say that he gets one more year.  But as much as I want to make excuses for him due to injury and such… at some point you are what your record says you are.  And Shanny the Younger’s record is not good.

Last week's game was a really bad look.  Defenders of Shanahan always point out the injuries.  But you know who else was injured?  Arizona - without Murray or Hopkins.  And they still mopped the floor with the Niners, even with Kittle back. 

Even the best coaches can't completely overcome every setback, but at some point you're just making excuses.  Lots of teams have bad injury luck, and most of them have weathered it better than Shanahans' Niners have.  What good is a coach that is only good when things are going well? 

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

This where I am.  If you forced me to answer, I would say that he gets one more year.  But as much as I want to make excuses for him due to injury and such… at some point you are what your record says you are.  And Shanny the Younger’s record is not good.

I think Shanahan is a great offensive mind but I also think that has made him think he’s also a genius coach, but he hasn’t earned that yet.  He wants to act like Belichick, but Belichick is the greatest coach of all time.  Shanahan is a guy with a losing record most known for blowing a Super Bowl in such embarrassing fashion that it became a meme.

The schedule also isn't going to help Shanny's cause. Their three wins are against bad teams, and they only appear to have two easy games left. 7-10 may be their ceiling, and if they don't reach that record that would mean he's had six or fewer wins in four of his five years as HC. That tends to get people fired.

The injuries were a valid excuse last year but definitely not this year.  This is on Lynch too - the roster construction becomes terribly irresponsible when you're relying on injury-prone players that then *shocker* are plagued by injuries.  Even more glaring is how idiotic they drafted this year.  They picked Aaron Banks, Trey Sermon, and Ambry Thomas on Day 2 and not only have they barely played, often they haven't even been active.  And it's not like they couldn't really use Banks and Thomas.

I expect they'll get trounced by the Rams on Monday and hopefully that convinces them to give up on the season and start developing Lance.  I'd be fine with giving Shanahan another year with Lance at the helm - not sure there's anyone available that's much better - but I'd also be fine with them dumping him, Lynch, or both.  Basically where I was at with Aaron Boone and the Yanks a few weeks ago.

9 minutes ago, DMC said:

The injuries were a valid excuse last year but definitely not this year.  This is on Lynch too - the roster construction becomes terribly irresponsible when you're relying on injury-prone players that then *shocker* are plagued by injuries.  Even more glaring is how idiotic they drafted this year.  They picked Aaron Banks, Trey Sermon, and Ambry Thomas on Day 2 and not only have they barely played, often they haven't even been active.  And it's not like they couldn't really use Banks and Thomas.

I expect they'll get trounced by the Rams on Monday and hopefully that convinces them to give up on the season and start developing Lance.  I'd be fine with giving Shanahan another year with Lance at the helm - not sure there's anyone available that's much better - but I'd also be fine with them dumping him, Lynch, or both.  Basically where I was at with Aaron Boone and the Yanks a few weeks ago.

So on Monday... will you watch the normal feed?  Or the Peyton/Eli broadcast?

I have enjoyed the Peyton/Eli for games I didn't have a rooting interest in; but I'm not sure if it might be too distracting for a game I am invested in.

1 minute ago, Rhom said:

So on Monday... will you watch the normal feed?  Or the Peyton/Eli broadcast?

Heh, can't say I've watched any Peyton/Eli broadcast.  I always bring my Ipad to occupy my time during commercials but my brother and I still end up channel surfing due to boredom.  If they stayed on air during the commercials I'd totally check it out.

33 minutes ago, DMC said:

If you’re firing Lynch, I think you need to fire both and let the next GM pick his coach, or vice versa.  As a Browns fan, I’ve seen countless arranged marriages fail when we’d fire one guy but not the other and then ended up with an organization that wasn’t in alignment.  They finally seem to have got it right by hiring a competent coach and then bringing him into the hiring process for GM so he actually got a GM that is on the same page, and the past two years the Browns have been good on the field and crushed the draft.  Funny how that works. 

1 minute ago, briantw said:

If you’re firing Lynch, I think you need to fire both and let the next GM pick his coach, or vice versa.

Yeah, probably.  I suppose I could see a scenario where a new GM wants to give Shanahan a full year with Lance to see what happens, and if it doesn't work out then find his guy.

This is crazy to me

19 minutes ago, DMC said:

Yeah, probably.  I suppose I could see a scenario where a new GM wants to give Shanahan a full year with Lance to see what happens, and if it doesn't work out then find his guy.

Probably would have to let Lynch go too, which is crazy as he was executive of the year less than two years ago.

Imagine passing on Fields and Jones and getting five years of potential value on a rookie contract so you can trade for a guy who has looked like absolute shit and is a year away from you having to pay him or let him walk. 

Archived