NFL Week 8 Bungals King of the Jungles

l2 0 5 5

20 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

There's a big difference between a 4.59 and 4.79 40 time at the next level, and just from the eye test in college you could see Burrow run and be more athletic while Jones was basically a statue.

They both had a ton of talent around them which makes it hard to predict what they'd be just like it's hard to predict what these guys coming from small schools would be, but if I had to point to one thing it would be that Burrow won the Heisman while Jones' WR won it, which to me seems to say that the voters though Smith was more responsible for Alabama's success and Burrow was more responsible for LSU's.

Again, it's the most differences in talent that can make all the difference at the next level. Regarding arm strength, both guys were throwing to dudes who were butt naked open, and that would make me worry that a guy with a weak arm would struggle at the next level. Clearly so far that hasn't matter much though.

You brought up statistics and mentioned YPA. Did you happen to see their average air yards per pass? Can't find their college stats, but if I'm looking at this right this season Burrow's balls are traveling close to two yards further per pass on average.

Where are you seeing that Burrow ran a 4.59?  The source I use says he ran a 4.77 at his pro day compared to Jones' 4.83.

As far as air yards per pass goes, I'm not sure how much we can meaningfully extrapolate from that considering that Burrow is throwing to fantastic downfield threats in Chase and Higgins.  Who does Jones have to throw to?  His best WR is probably Jakobi Meyers, a slot receiver with 4.6 speed.  Burrow is also in his second year with the same offense, whereas Jones is a rookie learning one of the most complex offenses in the NFL, and one that has often favored throws to the running back position (which won't help your air yards).

Tom Brady went from looking like he was absolutely washed two years ago with New England's supporting cast to once again looking like the GOAT when he went to Tampa and had Chris Godwin and Mike Evans to toss the ball to.  I'm not sure what people are expecting Jones to do throwing to guys like Meyers, Agholor, and a couple of good but not great tight ends.

Breaking news, Dallas has cut Zeke Elliot and he has signed with the Rams. Also, Lawrence Taylor and Deacon Jones have come out of retirement to also join the Rams. 

I am getting close to actively root against the Rams.

Just now, dbunting said:

Breaking news, Dallas has cut Zeke Elliot and he has signed with the Rams. Also, Lawrence Taylor and Deacon Jones have come out of retirement to also join the Rams. 

I am getting close to actively root against the Rams.

It’s definitely Super Bowl or bust for them at this point. I can’t remember the last time a team added two players the caliber of OBJ and Von Miller in the middle of the season like this. 

I like teams betting big on themselves.  Its much more common in baseball and basketball than football just because the teams are so large and depth matters so much.  Lots of previous "dream teams" have failed completely.  And there's a good chance this team will come up short too.  But I give them credit for trying.

On 11/12/2021 at 10:00 PM, Lord Patrek said:

The Super Bowl is in LA this year, so they're going all out! Though I love the Rams, seeing them go through all these moves makes me want to see them fail.

Not me. Normally I'm a vociferous advocate for underdogs and small market teams. The exceptions, when I see a talented pro whose endured years of being surrounded by lackluster teammates, but then gets out and has that chance for the ring (for instance Verlander going to the Astros or if Lilliard would get such an opportunity after years of carrying his teams).

This season is the Mathew Stafford story for me.

The guy sacrificed much year after year on the Lions while lesser QB's were able to get championships.

Stafford deserves this and I'm all in on his bandwagon.

Well, Mason Rudolph is brave and commands the pocket better each time he plays, but he does not really have the arm strength of a starting NFL quarterback.

The Steelers kiss their sister and end up with a tie, while the Lions end their losing streak in Pittsburgh.  Meh.

2 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

The guy sacrificed much year after year on the Lions while lesser QB's were able to get championships.

Like most football fans, I'm glad that Stafford finally gets the opportunity to showcase all of skills as part of a good team.

But the Rams were already stacked, and I would have liked to see them go all the way with the team they had at the start of the season. We'll see how it goes.

6 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Not me. Normally I'm a vociferous advocate for underdogs and small market teams. The exceptions, when I see a talented pro whose endured years of being surrounded by lackluster teammates, but then gets out and has that chance for the ring (for instance Verlander going to the Astros or if Lilliard would get such an opportunity after years of carrying his teams).

I agree with the premise but this is  bad example. There were really good players on those Tigers teams. 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Geez, 3/4s of the AFC teams have at least five wins. Meanwhile the 4-5 Vikings are on the outside looking in for a playoff spot in the NFC. This season is wild!

I have no idea what teams are even good any more.

36 minutes ago, dbunting said:

I agree with the premise but this is  bad example. There were really good players on those Tigers teams. 

Point taken, especially that team that Big Papi sank in the ALCS, the Tigers really had some good players around Verlander back then.

So Baseball is not the best example but nevertheless the feelings of seeing him leave and be successful are the same for me currently wanting Stafford to win it this year or how I would've also still rooted for Megatron or Barry if they had  gotten out.

Archived