NFL Week 8 Bungals King of the Jungles

l2 0 5 5

21 minutes ago, Kalsandra said:

He will be hired maybe in a year if he wants to be. 

Probably somewhere like Texas or Nebraska. Somewhere that had a history of winning for a while but failed, and want a proven winner regardless. 

Ooh, FSU would be another good choice. 

Down for a playful bet on this one? Maybe some small school will hire him years down the line, but he’s not getting a job at a big program and he’s not getting any job in 2022 or 23. No AD or president of a university can sign off on him right now.

Also, joke of the day: He wasn’t fired in the middle of the night, he was fired in the morning for the team’s real fanbase.

13 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Down for a playful bet on this one? Maybe some small school will hire him years down the line, but he’s not getting a job at a big program and he’s not getting any job in 2022 or 23. No AD or president of a university can sign off on him right now.

Also, joke of the day: He wasn’t fired in the middle of the night, he was fired in the morning for the team’s real fanbase.

His marketability I think will depend on how he handles getting fired and what he eventually has to say about all of the alleged events that happened.  Based on his past behavior, known and alleged, there is a good chance he will handle it very, very poorly.  But his college legacy is still stellar, I'd go 50/50 he might get something for 2023/2024.

Urban is a recruiter who has spent the bulk of his career coaching teams vastly more talented than the teams he was going against.  He’s never been known as a brilliant X’s and O’s guy.

That’s why I thought he was going to fail from day one.  You’re hiring a guy whose best trait is irrelevant at the NFL level.

I don't care about the stupid Buckeye getting canned. But neither do I want the baby on my team that whined in the media about getting kicked. If he thought the coach was being inappropriate he should have punched him in the face on the field, that would've been a fantastically entertaining way to see Urbans demise.

Instead we have to settle for a boring press release, where's my bully gets NFL ass beating ending? I would have loved to see Urban try his tough guy act out on the wrong hombre, say N. Suh or the like.. Just see him at the presser with cleat marks across his face.

2 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

I don't care about the stupid Buckeye getting canned. But neither do I want the baby on my team that whined in the media about getting kicked. If he thought the coach was being inappropriate he should have punched him in the face on the field, that would've been a fantastically entertaining way to see Urbans demise.

Instead we have to settle for a boring press release, where's my bully gets NFL ass beating ending? I would have loved to see Urban try his tough guy act out on the wrong hombre, say N. Suh or the like.. Just see him at the presser with cleat marks across his face.

You wouldn't want a kicker who is willing to complain about his boss kicking him?  Personally that sounds like the kind of guy worth hiring to me.  Meyer probably knew better than to try and bully most NFL position players but probably thought a kicker would just put up with it.  Which just shows how little he understands the NFL. 

For Jacksonville's next coach, Bienamy and Pederson are strong candidates and have proven track records.  But Jacksonville will probably just offer the job to some guy who knows Sean McVay. 

My favorite comment on Urban was over at The Athletic:

Must suck to be urban and get the Twitter notification that you‘ve been fired while you‘re four rum and cokes deep at a college bar

5 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

His marketability I think will depend on how he handles getting fired and what he eventually has to say about all of the alleged events that happened.  Based on his past behavior, known and alleged, there is a good chance he will handle it very, very poorly.  But his college legacy is still stellar, I'd go 50/50 he might get something for 2023/2024.

What's he suppose to say, that he got literally everything wrong? Hard to imagine the guy who called all his assistants losers while he's a winner doing that.

I've listened to the beginning of several podcasts today to hear what the coverage is like and it's as negative as anything I've heard said about a coach or player that didn't commit a crime (well kicking a player is technically a crime). I expected the piling on over the numerous mistakes and mocking him ruthlessly, but the personal attacks were deep cuts and they just kept coming. Every single person more or less called him a garbage human being totally unrelated to football. 

ETA: We need a new thread, but I can't come up with anything witty. 

This was surprising to me, at the link it says that Meyer routinely left early.  It also says that he didn't attend the last coaches meeting, just left...crazy.

I don't know that I have ever heard of any successful coach, college or the NFL who isn't a workaholic control freak.  

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/12/16/darrell-bevell-urban-meyer-left-before-last-night-meetings-and-didnt-return/

I have to say though, that Trent Balke is a POS and should not have a job in the NFL either, and I'm sure he's the source of a lot of these leaks, but in this case, unlike SF, the coach had to go.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

ETA: We need a new thread, but I can't come up with anything witty. 

Hmm...someone cleverer than I could maybe come up with some riff on "Urban" and "sprawl" or maybe somehow linking "Meyer" with "Oscar Mayer" and being a meathead or something?:P

And, yes, I expected him to ultimately fail but I did not see it being this quickly or spectacularly. 

5 minutes ago, Prince of the North said:

Hmm...someone cleverer than I could maybe come up with some riff on "Urban" and "sprawl" or maybe somehow linking "Meyer" with "Oscar Mayer" and being a meathead or something?:P

I was playing with some Covid related ideas until the news broke. There's a way to weave the two together, but I've haven't found one yet that isn't ham fisted. Best I could come with on the fly was "NFL 2021: Amid COVID Outbreak, Jealous Jags Fire Urban Over Poor Performance." 

Not exactly my fastball.

And, yes, I expected him to ultimately fail but I did not see it being this quickly or spectacularly. 

I actually thought he'd have some early success on the field for a season or two before it all fell apart. Sad reality is he probably still has a job today if the Jags were in that bloated "Outside Looking In" graphic. 

5 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I actually thought he'd have some early success on the field for a season or two before it all fell apart. Sad reality is he probably still has a job today if the Jags were in that bloated "Outside Looking In" graphic. 

I kind of did, too.  But with everything we saw and are now hearing it's like he didn't change/transition at all even though it's a completely different and higher plane of sports existence, so to speak.:dunno:  

50 minutes ago, Prince of the North said:

I kind of did, too.  But with everything we saw and are now hearing it's like he didn't change/transition at all even though it's a completely different and higher plane of sports existence, so to speak.:dunno:  

And that's why I don't think he's ever going to coach again. His issues are incredibly well known and no NFL team or major college program will hire him. Maybe he can get a job at a lesser school in a few years, but he's not going to be able to recruit like he could in the past and he'll just quit that job after going .500 over a few years. I could be wrong, but I doubt he ever gets a prominent job again at any level, including in the media. 

17 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

And that's why I don't think he's ever going to coach again. His issues are incredibly well known and no NFL team or major college program will hire him. Maybe he can get a job at a lesser school in a few years, but he's not going to be able to recruit like he could in the past and he'll just quit that job after going .500 over a few years. I could be wrong, but I doubt he ever gets a prominent job again at any level, including in the media. 

I agree.  And I agree with what @briantw wrote above.  I imagine "coaching" was pretty easy when many of the best players in the country always wanted to play for your program every season.  I'll be surprised if he takes a smaller school coaching position.

If you score a TD with less than ten minutes in the 4th making the score 20-13, would you go for 1 or 2? I'm surprised after the five fourth and short attempts the Charges took the point. The upside of a two score game over a being up just a TD seems worth the risk to me.

Archived