NFL Week 8 Bungals King of the Jungles

l2 0 5 5

9 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

If you score a TD with less than ten minutes in the 4th making the score 20-13, would you go for 1 or 2? I'm surprised after the five fourth and short attempts the Charges took the point. The upside of a two score game over a being up just a TD seems worth the risk to me.

You have no idea how hot that is. I was just saying the same. And explaining why being aggressive is good, but how Stayley has completely aggressived himself to death.

1 hour ago, Prince of the North said:

I agree.  And I agree with what @briantw wrote above.  I imagine "coaching" was pretty easy when many of the best players in the country always wanted to play for your program every season.  I'll be surprised if he takes a smaller school coaching position.

Have we forgotten that he was a genuine success at Utah?  and that he turned Alex Smith into a number one overall pick?  The guy has cut some corners by overlooking some pretty serious flaws but he’s legitimately one of the best to ever do it in college.  We can talk about the built in advantages of Florida and Ohio State… but how many titles do Ron Zook, Dan Mullen, and Ryan Day have?

And there must be something redeeming about him to draw such loyalty from Tim Tebow.  Say what you will about Tebow; but he doesn’t make a habit of hanging with the absolute worst.

I know this comes off as me trying to defend Meyer, which is not my intent (despite the fact that he is a fraternity brother of mine! :lol: ) but I also don’t think we should brush off his history just because of his very public failure.

5 minutes ago, Babblebauble said:

You have no idea how hot that is. I was just saying the same. And explaining why being aggressive is good, but how Stayley has completely aggressived himself to death.

I'm just happy going for it on 4th and short and two point conversions are up this year. About damn time.

2 minutes ago, Rhom said:

And there must be something redeeming about him to draw such loyalty from Tim Tebow.  Say what you will about Tebow; but he doesn’t make a habit of hanging with the absolute worst.

They say one saint cancels out a murderer, or at least that's what I've heard. But all the other criminals on his programs? Tebow's halo is but only so big.

Just now, Prince of the North said:

You might be right, @Rhom.  Maybe Meyer will go back to his roots, so to speak?  But with what we've seen from him recently, I have my doubts.  If he does get back on track and redeem himself, good for him!  Who doesn't love a good redemption story?:)  

Hard to say.  He “retired” from two jobs because the stress was literally killing him.  But these guys are wired differently.  It must be like a drug to them.  He’s not done coaching.  Give it a year or two and I absolutely believe he will be at Notre Dame/Texas or somewhere along those lines.

3 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Hard to say.  He “retired” from two jobs because the stress was literally killing him.  But these guys are wired differently.  It must be like a drug to them.  He’s not done coaching.  Give it a year or two and I absolutely believe he will be at Notre Dame/Texas or somewhere along those lines.

He's literally a sociopath dude. The signs are all there.

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

He's literally a sociopath dude. The signs are all there.

You think a lot of the most successful aren’t?

Legit question.  I think the time and drive it takes to be successful at the highest level does not lend itself to a neurotypical mind.

2 minutes ago, Rhom said:

You think a lot of the most successful aren’t?

Legit question.  I think the time and drive it takes to be successful at the highest level does not lend itself to a neurotypical mind.

It's well known that they are. Psych terminology can change rapidly, but back when I got my degree a decade ago you could basically divide sociopaths into two groups, high functioning and low functioning, the overwhelming majority of which made up the latter. But those rarer types that could use the defects to their advantage, they make up a lot of CEOs of Fortune 500 companies, or for example, become high paid football HCs. Maybe we should rethink what allows that to happen, no?

And while time and drive do matter, as you phrase it, what's overwhelmingly the most important thing is simple luck. 

5 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I'm not going to argue against Meyer's college record, it is excellent.  I think he'll take next year off and be back at some desperate college in 2023.

Title bet is open. He won't coach in '22 or '23 at any program worth mentioning, if he coaches at all. 

23 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Have we forgotten that he was a genuine success at Utah?  and that he turned Alex Smith into a number one overall pick?

No.  That and his vaunted spread offense is the first time I ever heard of Meyer - which is probably a big part of why I've resented him ever since.

16 minutes ago, Rhom said:

He “retired” from two jobs because the stress was literally killing him.

A lot of people in Gainesville don't think he "retired" from UF due to health but rather because the endemic problems of his program were about to blow up in his face, and there's a lot of evidence to that effect.

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

You didn't pay up last time, and that's before we address what you've done with your profile. Stop getting dumb WPs in the politics thread, wannabee throat goat. 

I don't recall a debt, but if I have toh I will see it paid.

Archived