Can you make a list of the most evil characters from the world of ASOIAF?

boltons are sick

There is a trope created by TV Tropes called Complete Monster (aka Pure Evil). It is used to describe the most evil characters from a certain fictional universe. You can read more about the trope here.

The most evil characters according to the definition for this trope are (in no particular order):

1) Joffrey Baratheon

2) Ramsay Bolton

3) Gregor Clegane

4) Craster

5) Rorge

6) Maegor Targaryen

7) Tyanna of the Tower

8) Ulf the White

9) Hugh Hammer.

Euron Greyjoy could eventually join their ranks but so far he hasn't done enough to really stand out, so we will have to wait and see for him.

What's your personal list of the most evil characters from the world of ASOIAF? Do you agree with this list or not? Let me know in the comments.

29 minutes ago, boltons are sick said:

Euron Greyjoy could eventually join their ranks but so far he hasn't done enough to really stand out, so we will have to wait and see for him.

He murdered his own brother for the sake of murdering his own brother (His halfbrother from a saltwife of his father). 

6 minutes ago, Daeron the Daring said:

He murdered his own brother for the sake of murdering his own brother (His halfbrother from a saltwife of his father). 

That's still not enough to make him stand out among the other characters from the series but he is definitely on his way to join this list.

10 minutes ago, boltons are sick said:

What is this Forsaken chapter you are talking about?

There are a few already released chapters to The Winds of Winter. There is a subforum for it. You can find them on the internet. The Forsaken is a POV to Aeron. I think this subforum allows spoilers from that stuff. It's worth checking. 

1 hour ago, Willam Stark said:

Euron deserves its place on that list.

I would add Aerion Targaryen, Aerys II Targaryen when he fell into madness, Tywin Lannister, Roose Bolton, Walder Frey.

I don't know Aerion, so I can't comment on him.

Aerys, Tywin, Roose and Walder have redeeming qualities which means that they don't belong to this trope. Of course, you can still think that they are among the most evil characters and should be included in a list of the most evil ASOIAF characters because that's subjective.

Aerys genuinely loves his children and mourns their deaths after they are born in stillborn forms and then tried to comfort his mourning wife as well. Plus, you could make an argument that his insanity is so intense that it affects his moral agency and capacity to make rational decisions which is another thing that would disqualify him from this trope.

Tywin loves his wife, Joanna, and there are a lot of people who have known Tywin personally and claim that the two of them were happy together. Her death seems to affect Tywin considering that he blames Tyrion non-stop for it. He also loves Jaime and Cersei (he smiled brightly on the day they were born) and also appears to have a good relationship with his brother, Kevan.

The conversation between Roose Bolton and Theon proves that he loved his firstborn son, Domeric Bolton. He mentions that he tried to warn him not to look for Ramsay and when he died, Roose was angry and wanted to kill Ramsay to avenge his son but didn't do it only because kinslaying is a great sin.

Walder Frey appears to have some care for his family (or at least most of his family) plus I am not sure if he is bad enough compared to the rest of the characters.

1 hour ago, boltons are sick said:

Aerys, Tywin, Roose and Walder have redeeming qualities which means that they don't belong to this trope. Of course, you can still think that they are among the most evil characters and should be included in a list of the most evil ASOIAF characters because that's subjective.

redeeming quality should be used in order to make a person less "evil" . it could be argued that pschopaths with no quality of sympathy or empathy with others are not as evil as people knowing the pain they afflict do evil actions. so I think in a way Tywin and Roose are way worse than sadistic Joffrey or psychopath Gregor and Ramsay.

as for Aerys , he seems more of a mentally unstable person who gradually gotten worse to the point of sickness/madness. of course the problem was this man had a crown on his head and had the power to do whatever his paranoia demanded of him. so though he was indeed a horrible character , I wouldn't call him evil. 

with only counting the ones in the main series and not the minor characters like Biter , my list goes on like this:

1. Euron 2. Tywin 3.Gregor 4.Roose 5.Joffrey 6.Ramsay 7.Qyburn 8. Craster 9.high sparrow 10.Walder Frey 11. Cersei

5 hours ago, boltons are sick said:

There is a trope created by TV Tropes called Complete Monster (aka Pure Evil). It is used to describe the most evil characters from a certain fictional universe. You can read more about the trope here.

The most evil characters according to the definition for this trope are (in no particular order):

1) Joffrey Baratheon

2) Ramsay Bolton

3) Gregor Clegane

4) Craster

5) Rorge

6) Maegor Targaryen

7) Tyanna of the Tower

8) Ulf the White

9) Hugh Hammer.

What's your personal list of the most evil characters from the world of ASOIAF? Do you agree with this list or not? Let me know in the comments.

I would put Ramsay ahead of Joffrey on the evilness scale, perhaps in a tie with Gregor. Euron would be a close second, but we've only just met him.

But I'm surprised you don't have Tywin on your list. Sure, these others have done monstrous things, but they seem to be driven by an inner mania that they can't control. Tywin is in full control of himself and yet has caused more death, misery and trauma than all the others on your list combined, except maybe Maegor. Tywin knows exactly what he's doing but he holds the rest of the world in such contempt that he just doesn't care. He is, by far, the most evil character in the book. 

47 minutes ago, John Suburbs said:

I would put Ramsay ahead of Joffrey on the evilness scale, perhaps in a tie with Gregor. Euron would be a close second, but we've only just met him.

But I'm surprised you don't have Tywin on your list. Sure, these others have done monstrous things, but they seem to be driven by an inner mania that they can't control. Tywin is in full control of himself and yet has caused more death, misery and trauma than all the others on your list combined, except maybe Maegor. Tywin knows exactly what he's doing but he holds the rest of the world in such contempt that he just doesn't care. He is, by far, the most evil character in the book. 

Tywin is driven by pride and ambition. He doesn't want to let his position of one of the most powerful Great Houses in the Realm go. Tywin has also committed atrocities like the Sack of KL that isn't justifiable at all but the destruction of Tarbeck Hall and Castamere is. The Reynes and Tarbecks should have listened to Tywin and paid their debts to Castelry Rock back. Instead, they chose the warpath and in war, everything is justifiable. The burning of the riverlands is also justified as war. The riverlands made the first strike by kidnapping Tyrion.  

1. The Slave Masters 

2. Euron Greyjoy

3. The Faceless Men

4. Gregor Clegane

5. Qartheen Undying

6. Theon Stark

7. Criston Cole

8. Qyburn

9. Some of the Dothraki khals. 

10. Galazza Galare 

Tywin, Aerys, Roose, Hoster, Walder, Robb, and Stannis are feudal lords. They have done very bad things. But. None of them would make the top ten. 

Craster is not evil. He’s a savage who buys his freedom with his boys. He’s not that different from the other religious people who wants to buy favors from the gods. The Starks, Rhllorists, and the Children all sacrificed to gods. At least Craster was giving up his own boys. The Starks and Rhllorists were sacrificing other people. 

Jaime is evil. He murdered his king. Theon is another evil man. He murdered two innocent farm kids. 

3 hours ago, EggBlue said:

redeeming quality should be used in order to make a person less "evil" . it could be argued that pschopaths with no quality of sympathy or empathy with others are not as evil as people knowing the pain they afflict do evil actions. so I think in a way Tywin and Roose are way worse than sadistic Joffrey or psychopath Gregor and Ramsay.

as for Aerys , he seems more of a mentally unstable person who gradually gotten worse to the point of sickness/madness. of course the problem was this man had a crown on his head and had the power to do whatever his paranoia demanded of him. so though he was indeed a horrible character , I wouldn't call him evil. 

with only counting the ones in the main series and not the minor characters like Biter , my list goes on like this:

1. Euron 2. Tywin 3.Gregor 4.Roose 5.Joffrey 6.Ramsay 7.Qyburn 8. Craster 9.high sparrow 10.Walder Frey 11. Cersei

Out of curiosity, but why do you put the High Sparrow above Walder and Cersei? The only bad thing he has done so far is forcing Cersei to walk naked through the streets and even though I felt bad for her and in general I sympathize with Cersei, I really doubt this is as bad as the Red Wedding or some of the things Cersei herself has done.

Also, if you don't think that Aerys is evil because he is mentally unstable, you shouldn't label the Biter as evil too. GRRM revealed that the reason why the Biter was so messed up is because Rorge found him when he was an orphan on the streets of King's Landing and decided to raise him. Rorge then cut off Biter's tongue, filed his teeth into points and then forced him to fight in a pit against dogs and bears with only his bare teeth. This would mess anyone up, so I don't put him as high as some of the other characters.

From the two of them, Rorge is the bigger monster by far and I definitely would rank him among the most evil characters in the ASOIAF universe despite his minor role. Here is his entry on TV Tropes (I bolded the part where it's explained what Rorge did to Biter):

• Rorge is a Serial Rapist and Serial Killer—especially of children—and the worst of the Brave Companions, his cruelty even exceeding their leader, Vargo Hoat. Freed along with his companion Biter, Rorge signs on with the "Bloody Mummers" after Arya Stark saves him from certain death, to which he responds by threatening to sodomize her with her own wooden sword. After the Brave Companions capture Jaime and Brienne, Rorge attempts to rape Brienne and threatens to injure her further if she screams. After Hoat's death, Rorge leads a band of brigands on the raid to Saltpans, resulting in the massacre of nearly the entire town. Rorge personally kills 20 men and rapes a 12-year-old girl, mutilating her then giving the girl to his men to mutilate her further. Upon encountering Brienne again, Rorge expresses a desire to cut off her legs and have her watch him rape a 10-year-old girl. Additional material indicates that he is also the reason why Biter is the way he is—finding an orphan boy, Rorge removed his tongue, filed his teeth, and made him fight dogs with only his new fangs.

2 hours ago, John Suburbs said:

As I mentioned, this list is in no particular order and I agree that Ramsay is worse than Joffrey.

The list wasn't created by me but by TV Tropes for their trope called Complete Monster and while Tywin is certainly very bad, he has some redeeming qualities which prevent him from qualifying for the trope.

10 hours ago, boltons are sick said:

1) Joffrey Baratheon

2) Ramsay Bolton

3) Gregor Clegane

4) Craster

5) Rorge

6) Maegor Targaryen

7) Tyanna of the Tower

8) Ulf the White

9) Hugh Hammer.

I'm sorry,  I'm confused.  You asked the same question last year where I, and my contemporaries, listed Euron as Westetos' number one bad boy(with plenty of citations and examples.) I don't understand why your still disagreeing with not only last year's posters but this years as well.

Also, where's Pete? The architect of all Sunset chaos?

6 hours ago, boltons are sick said:

The conversation between Roose Bolton and Theon proves that he loved his firstborn son, Domeric Bolton. He mentions that he tried to warn him not to look for Ramsay and when he died, Roose was angry and wanted to kill Ramsay to avenge his son but didn't do it only because kinslaying is a great sin.

There's just as much likelihood that Domeric was killed by his dad then his brother. 

(In order

1. Euron

2. Ghiscari Masters

3. Petyr

4. Cersei

5 . Gregor

6. Ramsay

7. Roose

8. Viserys

9. Joff

10. Hoster)

Eta. Damn. Craster and Walder. Maybe some Weeper too... so many enemies lol

Out of curiosity, but why do you put the High Sparrow above Walder and Cersei? The only bad thing he has done so far is forcing Cersei to walk naked through the streets and even though I felt bad for her and in general I sympathize with Cersei, I really doubt this is as bad as the Red Wedding or some of the things Cersei herself has done.

:D... that was a tough call to put HS above Cersei and Walder. but high sparrow seems a fanatic exploiter ( if this is actually a word!) and I've got a hunch that he'll do atrocious deeds using his army of miserable people he has turned into fanatics + wealthy fanatic leaders can be too powerful and too dangerous and they scare me!

Also, if you don't think that Aerys is evil because he is mentally unstable, you shouldn't label the Biter as evil too. GRRM revealed that the reason why the Biter was so messed up is because Rorge found him when he was an orphan on the streets of King's Landing and decided to raise him. Rorge then cut off Biter's tongue, filed his teeth into points and then forced him to fight in a pit against dogs and bears with only his bare teeth. This would mess anyone up, so I don't put him as high as some of the other characters.

BLOODY HELL!! I had no idea! now i feel sorry for Biter... and of course Rorge is evil ( now that you enlightened me more evil than I thought!) but I skipped him since he is a minor character.

Archived