Heresy 239: Reflections

Black Crow

16 minutes ago, Melifeather said:

And perhaps Shiera Seastar? For what purpose would Bloodraven have burned the woman he loved so much?

The bones in the tree North of the wall? Maybe Shiera was the price for Bloodraven to become what he is?

If so, whom will Bran have to burn - Melisandre?

8 minutes ago, alienarea said:

The bones in the tree North of the wall? Maybe Shiera was the price for Bloodraven to become what he is?

If so, whom will Bran have to burn - Melisandre?

Interesting ideas! I know lack of information isn't exactly evidence, but you'd think GRRM would have told us how Shiera died. We know where Bloodraven is and we know Bittersteel died - it's his skull dipped in gold that the Golden Company carries, so why don't we know what happed to Shiera? It makes me think that her death and the manner of it is an important detail that will be revealed later. 

On 11/26/2021 at 5:34 PM, Melifeather said:

Interesting ideas! I know lack of information isn't exactly evidence, but you'd think GRRM would have told us how Shiera died. We know where Bloodraven is and we know Bittersteel died - it's his skull dipped in gold that the Golden Company carries, so why don't we know what happed to Shiera? It makes me think that her death and the manner of it is an important detail that will be revealed later. 

I'm not too knowledgeable about the Bloodraven-Bittersteel details, but my impression is that the Targaryen rule went downhill from there. If we factor in the lifespan of the COTF, Leaf might have been around then.

Just wondering whether the COTF play a very long game. First marrying a might Targaryen bastard to the weirwood, then intending to do the same with the current heir of house Stark. What do the weirwoods learn from Bloodraven and Bran?

You need to think like your enemy in order to defeat them.

The big question is why the COTF saved the last hero? If they are behind the White Walkers, why didn't they end it back then?

Another wild crackpot: the last hero was a Stark. And a warg (hint: he lost his dog). The COTF did not safe him, but the last hero warged them to safe him? And then he built the wall and became the Night's King. King of the Long Night.

• 2 months later...
On 11/27/2021 at 1:09 PM, alienarea said:

I'm not too knowledgeable about the Bloodraven-Bittersteel details, but my impression is that the Targaryen rule went downhill from there. If we factor in the lifespan of the COTF, Leaf might have been around then.

Just wondering whether the COTF play a very long game. First marrying a might Targaryen bastard to the weirwood, then intending to do the same with the current heir of house Stark. What do the weirwoods learn from Bloodraven and Bran?

You need to think like your enemy in order to defeat them.

The big question is why the COTF saved the last hero? If they are behind the White Walkers, why didn't they end it back then?

Another wild crackpot: the last hero was a Stark. And a warg (hint: he lost his dog). The COTF did not safe him, but the last hero warged them to safe him? And then he built the wall and became the Night's King. King of the Long Night.

My thoughts are that the Children didn’t create white walkers. I think the Ironborn were First Men that were practicing ice magic and inadvertently brought about the Long Night.

One of the sayings about wights is that THEY bring the cold. Maybe it’s actually the white walkers that bring the cold in order to animate the wights? Maybe an abundance of wights brought on the Long Night?

A Storm of Swords - Samwell II

"Do you think the wights are gone?" Sam asked Grenn. "Why don't they come finish us?"

"They only come when it's cold."

"Yes," said Sam, "but is it the cold that brings the wights, or the wights that bring the cold?"

The Nights Watch vows imply that the cold is the enemy as well as the night.

A Game of Thrones - Jon IX

"The watcher on the walls," piped Toad.

Jon cursed them all to their faces. They took no notice. Pyp spurred his horse closer, reciting, "I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men."

The horn that wakes the sleepers…the wargs and skinchangers?

On 2/13/2022 at 12:14 AM, Melifeather said:

My thoughts are that the Children didn’t create white walkers. I think the Ironborn were First Men that were practicing ice magic and inadvertently brought about the Long Night.

One of the sayings about wights is that THEY bring the cold. Maybe it’s actually the white walkers that bring the cold in order to animate the wights? Maybe an abundance of wights brought on the Long Night?

The Nights Watch vows imply that the cold is the enemy as well as the night.

The horn that wakes the sleepers…the wargs and skinchangers?

Hi Feather,

Can you repost this one on Heresy 242 please. Its worth pursuing but got rather lost in the distraction

15 hours ago, Ran said:

If this thread gets derailed again by off-topic politics, it will be an end to these "Heresy" threads on this forum. You have all been warned.

I apologize, Ran. We’ll keep politics to the appropriate threads moving forward.

Archived