The Three Body Problem on Netflix

SpaceChampion

https://gizmodo.com/netflixs-3-body-problem-announces-12-bodies-of-its-star-1847963741

As Deadline reports, Benedict Wong (Dr. Strange and other MCU movies), Tsai Chin (Shang-Chi and the Legend of the 10 Rings), and Game of Thrones stars Liam Cunningham (who played Davos) and John Bradley (who played Samwell Tarly) are probably the most recognizable names for io9 readers. But there’s also Sea Shimooka, who played Oliver’s unknown half-sister Emiko on Arrow, and Jovan Adepo, who played the young Will Reeves in the Watchmen TV series. We knew Baby Driver’s Eiza Gonzales was in talks to be joining the project, but you can consider her officially signed on—along with Jess Hong, Marlo Kelly, Alex Sharp, Zine Tseng, and Saamer Usmani.

50 minutes ago, Falcon2909 said:

How well did Shang Chi do in China?

Not well at all -- the Chinese government didn't allow it to open there because of some critical comments Simu Liu made, and so far as I know it has still not been released there.

I'm very glad The Three Body Problem is being adapted, but I can't help being worried. These are really difficult books to adapt.
The visuals alone will require an insane CGI budget. And the story itself is not one that can easily work on-screen: you have a lot of potentially boring passages, not that much action -at least at first-, a lot of pseudo-scientific gobbledygook, some cultural and mythological references that will seem alien outside China... etc, etc.

1 hour ago, Rippounet said:

I'm very glad The Three Body Problem is being adapted, but I can't help being worried. These are really difficult books to adapt.
The visuals alone will require an insane CGI budget. And the story itself is not one that can easily work on-screen: you have a lot of potentially boring passages, not that much action -at least at first-, a lot of pseudo-scientific gobbledygook, some cultural and mythological references that will seem alien outside China... etc, etc.

Yes, it's very ambitious, with a high chance of going wrong. However, the books will always exist no matter how the show turns out, and the premise of the series is so cool that just the chance of it being a good adaptation is exciting.

I'm very curious how it ends up. I seem to be in the minority opinion on this forum, but I think Benioff and Weiss did a fantastic job on Game of Thrones for the first six seasons, despite some missteps. Game of Thrones itself was an insanely ambitious series that Martin explicitly wrote to not be adaptable. However, the show out paced the books, Benioff and Weiss started making huge adjustments to compensate, and things went awry.

Maybe their earlier excellence was the result of many factors that happened to favor them. Regardless, no one else has successfully managed to adapt such an enormous project as Game of Thrones for tv other than them. Also in their favor: the series is complete, and it's significantly less dense than Game of Thrones.

It could go either way. But I see things aligning to bring out the best in that duo. At least I hope so.

On 10/31/2021 at 8:36 PM, IFR said:

Yes, it's very ambitious, with a high chance of going wrong. However, the books will always exist no matter how the show turns out, and the premise of the series is so cool that just the chance of it being a good adaptation is exciting.

Indeed. It's a project that's easily on the level of The Expanse or Foundation.
Given how much money is being thrown at this project by Netflix, it should prove eminently watchable. I don't reckon they should have too much trouble for their first season. But at some point it will take genuine talent to adapt the source material. The story is just too huge for a tv show, and money alone won't be enough to keep the story coherent and compelling.

I'm really curious how they are going to film this. Have each book be a sort of contained mini series, a la The Crown? But even then, we're seeing the same characters even as they age. The time passage in the 3BP series is a whole nother level.

Archived