Write here your unpopular opinion about asoiaf

Odej

6 hours ago, Mister Smikes said:

ASOIAF is not "serious literature"

I think it both is and isn't. It depends entirely on which PoV one's talking about. Catelyn's Storm storyline, Jaime and Brienne's Feast storylines and Theon's Dance storyline easily classify as "serious literature" in my opinion. But the more standard fantasy-esque characters like Jon, Daenerys and Arya are definitely pulpy and shouldn't be taken too seriously. 

Jon Snow is bastard son of Ned Stark and should stay dead after the mutiny. Aegon and Daenerys are children of Rhaegar and two heads of the dragon. I kinda wish to know how asoiaf would be if it was a trilogy, with AGOT and ADWD as first two books, and a five years timeskip between the two. 

I think it is best if the series remains unfinished. That's firstly because I think the ending wouldn't work well and secondly because Martin's struggling with continuing it shows that he has been marching in the wrong direction for a while now.

3 hours ago, Lady_Qohor said:

My unpopular opinion is that I find both Jon and Daenerys to be rather boring characters. I appreciate their chapters as Windows into the Wall and Essos but I could easily living with their deaths and replacement viewpoints. 

Same here. Reading through both of their chapters, especially Daenerys' ones, was a rather terrifying slog. Matters did improve for Jon somewhat once Stannis appeared on the Wall, though - but then, Stannis' humour makes any scene he's in much better than it otherwise would have been.

8 hours ago, Falcon2909 said:

It's been over 10 years since adwd and when people rightfully ask him on twitter where's the book some of his cringy fans will defend grrm by saying 'he does not owe you anything' etc 

First off, it's a bit understandable that people would be annoyed, since he put out a deadline and then goes past the deadline. 

16 hours ago, Lord Lannister said:

Martin won't finish writing it.

Sad, but true. He's introduced quite a few characters and plot lines and it's probably going to hard to have a satisfying wrap-up of all of the plots.

Feast and ADWD are the "worst" books of the series is my opinion.

8 hours ago, Falcon2909 said:

Fans who defend GRRMs slow writing pace:

It's been over 10 years since adwd and when people rightfully ask him on twitter where's the book some of his cringy fans will defend grrm by saying 'he does not owe you anything' etc

So what's your unpopular opinion?  That grrm should finish the books faster? Sounds popular. Or are you saying certain fans should be silenced? That should be unpopular.

For what it's worth, I do think an author has a sort of moral obligation to finish a series if s/he can - meaning they should at least do the work, put the hours in - but they do have the right not to publish material that doesn't meet their standards or the vision they had for the books.

28 minutes ago, Amris said:

I think it is best if the series remains unfinished. That's firstly because I think the ending wouldn't work well and secondly because Martin's struggling with continuing it shows that he has been marching in the wrong direction for a while now.

I agree mostly. We seem to be in a sweet spot for discussion anyway.

Marching is probably the wrong metaphor. I think he's got some grand scheme that all new writing must, must, must fit into - everything depending on what was written before. Another block could be he has to write about the culture of the Others from the inside - and as they are alien, dead, and possibly think themselves in heaven, that could be really difficult to write.

35 minutes ago, Jaenara Belarys said:

First off, it's a bit understandable that people would be annoyed, since he put out a deadline and then goes past the deadline. 

Sad, but true. He's introduced quite a few characters and plot lines and it's probably going to hard to have a satisfying wrap-up of all of the plots.

Agree. I think a lot of my frustration has been that he keeps stringing the fans along with hints, promises and such. 

I also agree that he let the story get too wide in scope. He should've left the story focusing on the Starks, Lannisters and Targaryens mainly. Keep a narrower focus and the world's big enough for spinoffs and more Dunk and Egg style short stories afterward.

3 hours ago, Lord Lannister said:

I also agree that he let the story get too wide in scope. He should've left the story focusing on the Starks, Lannisters and Targaryens mainly. Keep a narrower focus and the world's big enough for spinoffs and more Dunk and Egg style short stories afterward.

Probably. We don't really need Brienne's chapters, most of Tyrion's chapters don't seem to serve much (i.e. the Rhoyne, for the most part), Sansa and Arya probably only need one or two chapters. The Ironborn chapters could simply be seen through one or the other's eyes.....

My unpopular opinion: I despise Arya as a character and her chapters are among my least favourite in the whole series. I prefer practically every other PoV characters' chapters over hers. The fact that Martin gave her an absurd amount of chapters in books 2 and 3 seems completely unjustified based on just how little her storyline is relevant for the plot. The whole idea of showing how bad the war has affected the countryside was handled better in three or four Brienne chapters in Feast than it was in two dozen Arya chapters in Clash and Storm. Arya is too young for most of her story to be even slightly believable, and her whole shtick of "Don't mess with me, I'M A KILLER!" gets lame really fast.

3 hours ago, Willam Stark said:

Despite the fact that I like Arya, I agree with you on that, the same goes for the other Stark children.

While I think it strains credulity, I find it slightly believable; the other Starks as well.  To rephrase a famous quote from the series, Westeros children grow up faster than modern ones do.  It is a bit of a stretch though. 

On 10/30/2021 at 12:05 PM, Falcon2909 said:

Fans who defend GRRMs slow writing pace:

Harassing someone is hardly ever the right choice anyway.

My unpopular opinion is that I don't care anymore about the actual plot of the Saga. 

Blackfyre Rebellion, Robellion and Dunk and Egg. That's the only thing motivates me now. 

Related to that, the "political", lacking a better term, is far more interesting than the magical one. The latter is so sluggish...  The less magic the better, so please Martin, let Euron be the ultimate con man.

10 minutes ago, frenin said:

Related to that, the "political", lacking a better term, is far more interesting than the magical one. The latter is so sluggish...  The less magic the better, so please Martin, let Euron be the ultimate con man.

I would say this a very popular opinion. I'd be very surprised if there were more than a small handful of readers that are more interested in the magical aspects of the story compared to the grounded political ones.

I think part of the reason why Winds is taking so long is because Martin is struggling with making the magical side of the story - which is sure to be more prominent in the final few books - as interesting as the non-magical things. The guy clearly loves medieval history and has spent an ungodly amount of time describing countless feudal families, but his inspiration for actual hard fantasy seems a bit lacking in comparison. Martin is unparelleled when it comes to medieval/historical-inspired worldbuilding, but if one were to remove all of that and focus just on the fantasy, he wouldn't even get into the top twenty fantasy writers.

Archived