Write here your unpopular opinion about asoiaf

Odej

6 minutes ago, WhatAnArtist! said:

would say this a very popular opinion. I'd be very surprised if there were more than a small handful of readers that are more interested in the magical aspects of the story compared to the grounded political ones.

Most of the discussions one see are about prophecies, Princes who may not have been promised, eldritch monsters about to be summoned yadda yadda yadda.

So, I wouldn't say it's the prevalent opinion, while I agree those are important parts of the story and lore... I can't be bothered to care.

On 10/31/2021 at 9:17 AM, WhatAnArtist! said:

I think part of the reason why Winds is taking so long is because Martin is struggling with making the magical side of the story - which is sure to be more prominent in the final few books - as interesting as the non-magical things. The guy clearly loves medieval history and has spent an ungodly amount of time describing countless feudal families, but his inspiration for actual hard fantasy seems a bit lacking in comparison. Martin is unparelleled when it comes to medieval/historical-inspired worldbuilding, but if one were to remove all of that and focus just on the fantasy, he wouldn't even get into the top twenty fantasy writers.

I agree and I think he's going to have a really hard time with the Others. I call it the "Ominous Big Bad" problem. I've lost count of the number of movies, books, and TV series that do an excellent job of building up lots of suspense and dread over some coming great evil only to have no idea how to make the actual arrival as interesting as the build up.

On 10/29/2021 at 8:57 PM, Odej said:

The Sand Snakes are very ludricrous charaters. The fact each one of them have a diferent appearence, weapol and fight style make them look like insurgents Sailor Moon.

This!   Although, I once opined that they were like the Westerosi version of Fox Force Five (thereby dating myself).

My unpopular ASOAIF opinion is that Cersei is a hilarious, funny character, easily as witty as Tyrion. 

9 minutes ago, Daena the Defiant said:

This!   Although, I once opined that they were like the Westerosi version of Fox Force Five (thereby dating myself).

My unpopular ASOAIF opinion is that Cersei is a hilarious, funny character, easily as witty as Tyrion. 

Cersei is the funniest to read out of the siblings, it's known.

4 hours ago, Daena the Defiant said:

Her internal monologue in Feast is possibly the most entertaining of all the PoVs in the series; imagining ridiculous and far-fetched conspiracies every few minutes, constantly fantasising about assaulting and killing people around her, repeatedly telling herself that she's the greatest ruler Westeros has ever had, etc. The fact that so many of her interactions boil down to something like this is truly hilarious:

Person: "Hi Cersei, I hope you have a great day!"

Cersei: "Haha thanks, you too." I will make sure you die screaming, you whore! How dare you talk to me like that.

40 minutes ago, Aejohn the Conqueroo said:

We're all so lucky that Martin takes as long as he does to write novels. This site, this ongoing discussion and investigation wouldn't have half the life it does if we got Winds of Winter in '16 and DoS in '20.

Come on man xdddddddddd.

We're out of content by now.

1 minute ago, Jaenara Belarys said:

That's not true. We have Cersei worshipping now "wonderful woman", crackpot theories...Faceless Men and cat women, if anything we're far from being out of things to talk about. 

Faceless men everywhere (7 whole kingdoms and half at least of Essos full of them in fact), Arya Stark's corrupted soul, the morality of Cat's failure to promptly murder Jon Snow... people who've only read the books once and put them aside and done other things for the last 10 years are seriously missing out.

1 minute ago, Aejohn the Conqueroo said:

Faceless men everywhere (7 whole kingdoms and half at least of Essos full of them in fact), Arya Stark's corrupted soul, the morality of Cat's failure to promptly murder Jon Snow... people who've only read the books once and put them aside and done other things for the last 10 years are seriously missing out.

Indeed, they are. 

1 hour ago, Jaenara Belarys said:

That's not true. We have Cersei worshipping now "wonderful woman", crackpot theories...Faceless Men and cat women, if anything we're far from being out of things to talk about. 

Oh right... let's not forget Janos Slynt oppressed hero.

7 hours ago, Daena the Defiant said:

It's not unpopular, most of us enjoyed following Cersei's downfall in AFFC.

The real unpopular opinion would be to hate Dany, she has a lot of worshippers here.

Ned deserved to die for the idiocy of telling Cersei he knew about the incest and was going to tell Robert. "I know you've committed high treason that will get your whole family killed. I believe you killed the previous Hand to protect the secret and you might have tried to kill my son over it, too. Just thought I'd give you a heads up!"

2 hours ago, WhatAnArtist! said:

Her internal monologue in Feast is possibly the most entertaining of all the PoVs in the series; imagining ridiculous and far-fetched conspiracies every few minutes, constantly fantasising about assaulting and killing people around her, repeatedly telling herself that she's the greatest ruler Westeros has ever had, etc. The fact that so many of her interactions boil down to something like this is truly hilarious:

Person: "Hi Cersei, I hope you have a great day!"

Cersei: "Haha thanks, you too." I will make sure you die screaming, you whore! How dare you talk to me like that.

This one is my favorite:

"The Lord of Casterly Rock deserved rainbows. He had been a great man. I shall be greater, though. A thousand years from now, when the maesters write about this time, you shall be remembered only as Queen Cersei's sire."

16 minutes ago, Groo said:

Ned deserved to die for the idiocy of telling Cersei he knew about the incest and was going to tell Robert. "I know you've committed high treason that will get your whole family killed. I believe you killed the previous Hand to protect the secret and you might have tried to kill my son over it, too. Just thought I'd give you a heads up!"

Saying someone deserved to die for showing mercy should absolutely be unpopular. I will grant you that.

13 minutes ago, Mourning Star said:

Saying someone deserved to die for showing mercy should absolutely be unpopular. I will grant you that.

How about Ned seizes Cersei's children himself? He could send them to Essos before Robert returned or he could send them to Winterfell to keep them safe until he negotiated a resolution with Robert that didn't involve killing the children. Ned was trying to avoid an actual showdown with Robert over the killing of children by hoping that Cersei would run. Wouldn't that have been convenient? The children would have been saved, it would have looked like everything was Cersei's doing, and Ned wouldn't need to truly go up against Robert. This wasn't pure mercy on Ned's part. It was mercy mixed with some political cowardice and a whole bunch of stupid.

7 minutes ago, Groo said:

How about Ned seizes Cersei's children himself? He could send them to Essos before Robert returned or he could send them to Winterfell to keep them safe until he negotiated a resolution with Robert that didn't involve killing the children. Ned was trying to avoid an actual showdown with Robert over the killing of children by hoping that Cersei would run. Wouldn't that have been convenient? The children would have been saved, it would have looked like everything was Cersei's doing, and Ned wouldn't need to truly go up against Robert. This wasn't pure mercy on Ned's part. It was mercy mixed with some political cowardice and a whole bunch of stupid.

You can disagree with the method and still appreciate the moral. But it is a story, so second guessing every choice seems silly to me, the hypotheticals are meaningless.

The real point, as expressed fairly clearly in my view, is that doing the right thing does not come with any expectation of good results for yourself.

What strange fit of madness led you to tell the queen that you had learned the truth of Joffrey's birth?"
"The madness of mercy," Ned admitted.
"Ah," said Varys. "To be sure. You are an honest and honorable man, Lord Eddard. Ofttimes I forget that. I have met so few of them in my life." He glanced around the cell. "When I see what honesty and honor have won you, I understand why."

And yet, this is a story, so I expect we will see it work out. Mercy is never a mistake.

Archived