Write here your unpopular opinion about asoiaf

Odej

10 minutes ago, Mourning Star said:

And yet, this is a story, so I expect we will see it work out. Mercy is never a mistake.

It depends for whom, you can show mercy to an honourable person, but absolutely not for a person who doesn't even know what "honor" means, this is the case with Cersei. Jaime and she should have been put to death, their blood is upon them.

But it would have put the children in danger, even though they are abominations born from incest they are innocent (except Joffrey later on), it is a very tough choice actually. 

19 minutes ago, Mourning Star said:

You can disagree with the method and still appreciate the moral. But it is a story, so second guessing every choice seems silly to me, the hypotheticals are meaningless.

The real point, as expressed fairly clearly in my view, is that doing the right thing does not come with any expectation of good results for yourself.

What strange fit of madness led you to tell the queen that you had learned the truth of Joffrey's birth?"
"The madness of mercy," Ned admitted.
"Ah," said Varys. "To be sure. You are an honest and honorable man, Lord Eddard. Ofttimes I forget that. I have met so few of them in my life." He glanced around the cell. "When I see what honesty and honor have won you, I understand why."

And yet, this is a story, so I expect we will see it work out. Mercy is never a mistake.

For the record, I liked Ned. There's clearly much to admire and respect about the character. That being said, madness is the right term. I still remember my reaction the first time I read the story. The scene where Ned tells Cersei yanked me right out of the book. I was thinking, "How can anyone be that stupid?!" In case it wasn't already obvious what Cersei was willing to do to keep the secret, she even tried to seduce Ned right there on the spot. I wanted to slap him upside the head.

As for the impact of Ned's actions and nature, I think the love and respect the North had for Ned is going to have long lasting consequences. The contrast with Tywin will likely be stark (if you'll forgive the pun). I don't think many people are going to be going out of their way to do things in Twyin's honor and in memory of him.

5 hours ago, Lord Lannister said:

Oh right... let's not forget Janos Slynt oppressed hero.

No, let's not (I am and will always be amazed that some people think that). What else? Jon shouldn't be resurrected or won't be, idr....N+W=J (yes, I'm still sore about that)....what else? 

Young Griff is probably fake, but would be better if he was really Aegon.

Daenerys feels lonely being the only Targaryen. She wants a home, people who make her feel safe. She laments and thinks angrily about the murders of Rhaenys and Aegon, but she will eventually go to war with Young Griff for the throne when she arrives in Westeros and will likely defeat him. It would be much more dramatic for Dany's arc if she ended up killing her true nephew and only family — there's probably Jon, but I chose to take him out of the equation.

My unpopular ASOIAF opinion is:

I would rather have Fire and Blood Vol2 and the rest of Dunk and Egg released than Winds of Winter. Unless GRRM is pulling a surprise and finishing Dream of Spring alongside WOW. 10 years and counting, man...

We already know how FAB2 and D&E would end, but the details and descriptions would be great. Besides, having an ending might help him write it all.

It will never happen, but I can dream...

My unpopular (I think) opinion is that a lot of the people who hate shipping—especially the Sansa ships—hate them because shipping is a Stupid Girl Thing, and if girls like something then that means it’s bad. All the rhetoric around “power dynamics” just feels like posturing. It’s sort of like how guys call women Karens now as a substitute for “bitch” because they can’t get away with calling them bitches anymore.

5 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

My unpopular (I think) opinion is that a lot of the people who hate shipping—especially the Sansa ships—hate them because shipping is a Stupid Girl Thing, and if girls like something then that means it’s bad. All the rhetoric around “power dynamics” just feels like posturing. It’s sort of like how guys call women Karens now as a substitute for “bitch” because they can’t get away with calling them bitches anymore.

I like shipping. Preferably a Jonerys ship :) . Though, Sansa......give her to Harry, and keep her far away from any R+L=J if it's true. 

My unpopular opinions:

• GRRM should hire some ghost writers to help him with the rest of the series
  • Young Griff is the real deal as Aegon son of Rhaegar; not sure what'll happen when he comes to Westeros, but something's telling me that he's going to be the "valonqar" from Cersei's prophecy
  • Victarion will end up becoming King of the Iron Islands
  • Theon won't be killed (yet). On top of this, Melisandre will take notice of him somehow
  • Daenerys won't invade Westeros, nor will she meet Jon
  • R+L=someone else. Jon is not that someone.
  • Robert Arryn is a warg
  • Some houses should gain more attention (Celtigar, Velaryon, Bar Emmon, to name a few)

40 minutes ago, Kinola said:
  • Young Griff is the real deal as Aegon son of Rhaegar; not sure what'll happen when he comes to Westeros, but something's telling me that he's going to be the "valonqar" from Cersei's prophecy

I hadn't heard of Young Griff as the valonqar before. That's interesting, although it does raise a question. If Jon really is the son of Rhaegar wouldn't that possibly make Jon the valonqar?

1 hour ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

From my experience there's as many, if not more, male shippers as females. I think some men just get self conscious over liking something that's perceived as "unmanly" so they attack it in an effort to save face.

Shipping is fun at times. Some of the ships though deserve to sink. I'm looking at you Jonsa and Jonerys!

The Lannisters are monsters, especially Tywin. Jaime and Cersei are evil. Tyrion is becoming a monster. 

Robert, Stannis, and Renly were all horrible kings and human beings. 

Rheager would have made a good king. Robert should have died on the Trident. 

Westeros’ history with the 9 great houses interest me more than the current story. I loved The World Of Ice and Fire

I want the great houses to go back being their own kingdom, it’s more interesting. 

Rheager and Lyanna were in love. 

House Stark and Targaryen are the best houses. 

9 hours ago, Groo said:

Ned deserved to die for the idiocy of telling Cersei he knew about the incest and was going to tell Robert. "I know you've committed high treason that will get your whole family killed. I believe you killed the previous Hand to protect the secret and you might have tried to kill my son over it, too. Just thought I'd give you a heads up!"

From a pragmatic perspective it was indeed awe-inspiringly stupid, but Ned was still so traumatised by the deaths of Rhaegar's children that he refused to allow anything like that to happen again, even if it meant he would be putting his own life at risk. That's the thing about honour: it usually isn't easy or convenient to keep it.

We may never know the truth about Aegon's true identity and parentage, with Varys and Illyrio Mopatis taking the truth with them to the grave. 

If Daenerys really has a conflict with Aegon over the Iron Throne because she thinks he's an impostor, she'll never have the means to prove it, and people will still view her as an usurper and kinslayer and hate her for it.

Harry the Heir ain't necesarilly a bad guy from what we've seen so far of him in TWOW. If I was a heir to the Vale, neither would I want to marry Lord Baelish's bastard daughter (given Petyr's origins, especially) at first. He fathered some bastards. What about it? 

Constantly dropping Sansa into unpleasant 'relationships' just doesn't appeal to me. 

Unpopular opinion you really want to dive into that? Alright. 

I'll let it be known that the unpopular opinions are only unpopular here on this forum among book geeks. 

1) Dany is a good ruler and person. Though she's not azor azhai. 

2) Jon Snow is the son of ned and wylla. He will stay dead.He is also not the prophesied saviour everyone believes him to be. (Extremely unpopular) 

3) Cersei is not that bad of a ruler though her sanity is going away. She's bad but not that bad. 

4) The dornish and ironborn plotlines are great. These new plotlines will be major characters. 

5) Affc and adwd are great books. 

6) Tyrion is a rapist. 

7)Sansa, bran and arya are interesting characters. 

8) Catelyn is an antagonist now. 

10) The books will get finished. I really don't understand the people who say they will never be finished and are still on the forum. If you think they'll never be finished why are they even here? If they hate the author so much for being late why are they even reading the books? 

11) Stannis is not likeable. Neither here nor in westeros. 

12) The original outline has changed a lot. The series is no longer just about the starks. 

56 minutes ago, Daenerysthegreat said:

1) Dany is a good ruler and person. Though she's not azor azhai. 

I agree that she's a good person, and certainly tries to be a good ruler, although some of her decisions have had bad consequences that she didn't foresee. I also agree that she isn't Azor Azhai, although since I really couldn't care less about any of the prophecies in the series, that isn't something that interests me either way.

57 minutes ago, Daenerysthegreat said:

2) Jon Snow is the son of ned and wylla

No, there's simply far too much evidence to support R+L=J, and Martin has all but admitted that the theory is true.

57 minutes ago, Daenerysthegreat said:

He will stay dead

Also all but confirmed to not be the case.

58 minutes ago, Daenerysthegreat said:

He is also not the prophesied saviour everyone believes him to be

Then who is it? There's more evidence for Jon to be the saviour than anyone else in the series.

58 minutes ago, Daenerysthegreat said:

3) Cersei is not that bad of a ruler though her sanity is going away. She's bad but not that bad. 

Well, you already know how much I disagree with this, based on the other thread. I won't repeat myself here.

59 minutes ago, Daenerysthegreat said:

4) The dornish and ironborn plotlines are great

I agree. It's interesting seeing new perspectives on these peripheral regions. I especially like Dorne, mostly because of the environment and Doran, although I wasn't a big fan of any of the PoVs characters Martin chose.

1 hour ago, Daenerysthegreat said:

These new plotlines will be major characters

Eh, I don't think so. They'll be important minor PoV characters, but they'll never be major ones. The major ones are characters like Jon, Dany, Tyrion, Cersei, Jaime, and the Starks.

5) Affc and adwd are great books. 

Also agreed. I don't think it's too much of an unpopular opinion on here though. This site tends to be more positive towards those books than anywhere else I've seen.

6) Tyrion is a rapist. 

I don't think this is an unpopular opinion, it's an objective fact.

7)Sansa, bran and arya are interesting characters. 

Also not that unpopular, despite a vocal minority of Stark haters on this site.

8) Catelyn is an antagonist now. 

From Jaime and Brienne's perspective, certainly. But not from others'.

10) The books will get finished

If Martin is working on both Winds and Spring at the same time, I agree. But if he isn't, then I don't think Spring will ever be published.

I really don't understand the people who say they will never be finished and are still on the forum. If you think they'll never be finished why are they even here?

It's still fun to discuss what's already been released.

If they hate the author so much for being late why are they even reading the books? 

Nonsense. No one hates Martin. Criticising him for taking an insanely long time to release a book isn't the same as hating him. 

11) Stannis is not likeable. Neither here nor in westeros. 

I very strongly disagree, but to each their own. I can understand why people wouldn't like him. He's an acquired taste.

12) The original outline has changed a lot. The series is no longer just about the starks. 

Agreed. It annoys me when people keep insisting that the Starks are the most important characters. They haven't been since the end of Thrones.

7 minutes ago, WhatAnArtist! said:

No, there's simply far too much evidence to support R+L=J, and Martin has all but admitted that the theory is true.

Also all but confirmed to not be the case.

Then who is it? There's more evidence for Jon to be the saviour than anyone else in the series.

I told you it was extremely unpopular

6 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

The thing about Sansa ships is that so many are downright horrible (Sansa/Ramsay, Sansa/Baelish, Sansa/Tywin, Sansa/Tyrion) or bizarre (Sansa/Jon, Sansa/Stannis, Sansa/Arya) and they frequently involve her being raped.  Sansa is rarely depicted in a consensual, age-appropriate relationship with someone who is not close kin.

14 minutes ago, SeanF said:

The thing about Sansa ships is that so many are downright horrible (Sansa/Ramsay, Sansa/Baelish, Sansa/Tywin, Sansa/Tyrion) or bizarre (Sansa/Jon, Sansa/Stannis, Sansa/Arya) and they frequently involve her being raped.  Sansa is rarely depicted in a consensual, age-appropriate relationship with someone who is not close kin.

I like the sansa willias ship and the sansa tommen ship. What's horrible in that

Archived