Write here your unpopular opinion about asoiaf

Odej

54 minutes ago, Aldarion said:

Slaver's Bay was written as horrible as it is in order to hide Daenerys' character flaws and make her as sympathetic as possible before her (hopefully temporary) turn to villainy.

Yeah, we've yet to see Dany defeat an enemy that's not cartoonishly evil and mustache-twirling. It'll be interesting to see how it's portrayed when she eventually starts fighting Westerosi defending their lands from a foreign invader.

26 minutes ago, WhatAnArtist! said:

Yeah, we've yet to see Dany defeat an enemy that's not cartoonishly evil and mustache-twirling. It'll be interesting to see how it's portrayed when she eventually starts fighting Westerosi defending their lands from a foreign invader.

That may be so, but really, I think the Battle of the Blackwater has been the only fight so far where readers' sympathies are pulled in more than one direction. I think a typical reader wants Cersei and Joffrey to lose, but does not want Tyrion killed, or Sansa raped. 

When it's Robb v the Lannisters/Freys or Jon/Stannis v the wildlings or Boltons, or Brienne and Arya v the loathsome people they encounter, it's pretty clear where the author is directing readers' sympathies, IMHO.  You get arguments that Janos Slynt was a martyr, or Arya is a psycho, or the Red Wedding was justified, (or even defences of the Slavers) but I think those are niche opinions.

I don't doubt if it's Daenerys v Arianne, or Margaery, or Sansa, then yes, things will be a lot more nuanced.

10 hours ago, Lord Lannister said:

Shipping is fun at times. Some of the ships though deserve to sink. I'm looking at you Jonsa and Jonerys!

Off with his head! He dares speak treason!

5 hours ago, Daenerysthegreat said:

I like the sansa willias ship and the sansa tommen ship. What's horrible in that

Nothing. They both seem like good enough people. 

18 hours ago, Daenerysthegreat said:

1) Dany is a good ruler and person. Though she's not azor azhai. 

16 hours ago, WhatAnArtist! said:

I agree that she's a good person, and certainly tries to be a good ruler, although some of her decisions have had bad consequences that she didn't foresee. I also agree that she isn't Azor Azhai, although since I really couldn't care less about any of the prophecies in the series, that isn't something that interests me either way.

Why do you guys don't believe Daenerys is Azor Ahai?

I mean, most I've seen in asoiaf fandom is people always claiming she is the one who fits the most in the prophecy. She was born again amidst smoke and salt, the red comet when she burned Drogo would be the red bleeding star, she woke up the stone dragons and bla bla bla. I honestly don't believe Azor Ahai will be only one person, I think will be something more fluid like Jon, Bran and Dany, each one playing a role in the battle against the others, but I've seen most of the fandom believes Dany fits better that anyone.

By the way, I like the prophecies thing. Martin didn't developed the fantasy elements in the book as well as he did the political elements. We barely know about the Others who are the greatest danger of the story. The prophecies and how they play with people's minds, the whole House of the Undying thing, dreams and their meaning are one of the few developed fantasy elements in these fantasy books.

And the dragons.

9 hours ago, Odej said:

I mean, most I've seen in asoiaf fandom is people always claiming she is the one who fits the most in the prophecy. She was born again amidst smoke and salt, the red comet when she burned Drogo would be the red bleeding star, she woke up the stone dragons and bla bla bla. I honestly don't believe Azor Ahai will be only one person, I think will be something more fluid like Jon, Bran and Dany, each one playing a role in the battle against the others, but I've seen most of the fandom believes Dany fits better that anyone.

By the way, I like the prophecies thing. Martin didn't developed the fantasy elements in the book as well as he did the political elements. We barely know about the Others who are the greatest danger of the story. The prophecies and how they play with people's minds, the whole House of the Undying thing, dreams and their meaning are one of the few developed fantasy elements in these fantasy books.

And the dragons.

Because i dont believe in the azor ahai prophecy. I think it's one of the fake prophecies not a real one like maggy's

12 hours ago, Odej said:

It would be both too obvious, and also pretty boring. She's already the mother of dragons, a fearsome conqueror and a great liberator - does she really have to also be the saviour of humanity? It seems a bit much for one character. If Dany was the only important character in the whole series, Martin would have just written the books from her PoV, and not bothered with anyone else, especially not Jon.

3 hours ago, Daenerysthegreat said:

Because i dont believe in the azor ahai prophecy. I think it's one of the fake prophecies not a real one like maggy's

I mean if I was a prophet and wanted to communicate the future to people, I'd use clear and specific phrasing. I think a lot of the prophecies and visions around Dany, especially Quaithe's, were told to her to keep her guessing. Present enough nuggets of truth to get her attention, but keep her suspicious and everyone around her and cripple her with fear.

18 minutes ago, WhatAnArtist! said:

It would be both too obvious, and also pretty boring. She's already the mother of dragons, a fearsome conqueror and a great liberator - does she really have to also be the saviour of humanity? It seems a bit much for one character. If Dany was the only important character in the whole series, Martin would have just written the books from her PoV, and not bothered with anyone else, especially not Jon.

If jon snow is the prophesied saviour why bother writing books from other pov. If jon turns out to be the prophesied saviour I'll read the books to see the outcome but I don't think most readers have a high opinion of jon, they will certainly leave the series. Didn't you say that making a prophesied saviour comes under bad fantasy?. A dream of spring will be a big flop if this happens. 

I've just discovered an unpopular opinion. 

No one should be the prophesied saviour I want this prophesied saviour bit in asoiaf(I don't mind it in books like harry Potter, precy Jackson but it's horrible in asoiaf) to go in the garbage.

As to the last point I want it to come true. I want dany to have her book series seperate from the main ones. 

4 minutes ago, Daenerysthegreat said:

Didn't you say that making a prophesied saviour comes under bad fantasy?

Yes, and it is. But the author can at the very least not make only one character extremely OP. Dany is already OP and has already achieved a lot of impressive things, and she'll probably do more with her invasion of Westeros. That's more than enough for one character. Share some of the glory around with others.

5 minutes ago, Daenerysthegreat said:

No one should be the prophesied saviour I want this prophesied saviour bit in asoiaf(I don't mind it in books like harry Potter, precy Jackson but it's horrible in asoiaf) to go in the garbage.

I agree.

6 minutes ago, Daenerysthegreat said:

As to the last point I want it to come true. I want dany to have her book series seperate from the main ones. 

Just edit together all of Dany's POV chapters, and you have a whole book. There isn't much else that would be added by her having her own series. Martin put all the important things in her POV chapters.

17 minutes ago, WhatAnArtist! said:

Yes, and it is. But the author can at the very least not make only one character extremely OP. Dany is already OP and has already achieved a lot of impressive things, and she'll probably do more with her invasion of Westeros. That's more than enough for one character. Share some of the glory around with others.

Jon Snow defended the wall from a army 1000 times their size. I consider it glorious. 

17 minutes ago, WhatAnArtist! said:

Just edit together all of Dany's POV chapters, and you have a whole book. There isn't much else that would be added by her having her own series. Martin put all the important things in her POV chapters.

It still misses a lot of points though. I want the book series to be first person

And like this

Book 1: Childhood to dragon hatch:500k words.

Book 2: 510k

Book 3:550k.

Well it's a dream but it can some true if Mr Martin's wife sees this and tells it to him and he recognizes how lucrative it will be and writes it. 

9 hours ago, Daenerysthegreat said:

Jon Snow defended the wall from a army 1000 times their size. I consider it glorious. 

It's not that impressive actually. The size of the Wall is its great defense, anyone with a basic knowledge of warfare could do the same as Jon. I'm not saying he wasn't brave or inteligent, he was the only at moment who could do that and he took responsability, but what he did didn't require any extraordinary skill.

Mance himself said the wildlling would have won if they had pressed the nights watch harder, the wildlling were thousands, he just didn't wanted see his people suffering more.

On 11/4/2021 at 4:58 PM, Odej said:

It's not that impressive actually. The size of the Wall is its great defense, anyone with a basic knowledge of warfare could do the same as Jon. I'm not saying he wasn't brave or inteligent, he was the only at moment who could do that and he took responsability, but what he did didn't require any extraordinary skill.

Mance himself said the wildlling would have won if they had pressed the nights watch harder, the wildlling were thousands, he just didn't wanted see his people suffering more.

Eh, the big problem with that battle is that the Wall itself doesn't make much sense. It is way too tall. And I don't mean 'it is way too tall to attack', I mean 'it is way too tall to defend'.

Despite Hollywood's obsession with gate battles, most siege armies focused on attacking other parts of a fortification. Given their obvious weaknesses, gates were the most heavily defended point of any defensive structure, and it was often better to focus on other, less well defended, areas.

But building such a tall wall means the gate can be attacked with impunity. The defenders on top of the wall can barely defend the gate. Their arrows wouldn't be accurate, most of their other weaponry doesn't work at such a height (boiling oil would cool or smash into the wall and most things thrown from the top of the wall would like smash back into the wall. I'm not even sure if catapults could work given how freaking cold it must be up there and their complex machinery, but even if they did work it doesn't matter because resupplying them would be far too time-intensive to bother), it takes significant work to even get men to the top of the walls, supplying them is a nightmare, and if things go wrong they cannot rush to the gate to defend it with hand-to-hand combat.

The rangers on top of the wall are irrelevant. Mance should have just ignored them and put all his forces into fighting the real battle, the one at the gates. The Wilding's loss at the Wall is due to their own stupidity, not due to the Night Watch's superior battle tactics.

10 hours ago, Daenerysthegreat said:

Well it's a dream but it can some true if Mr Martin's wife sees this and tells it to him and he recognizes how lucrative it will be and writes it. 

Yes, you're right. If Martin only knew how much money could be made he'd get cracking. He's totally missing the chance to make money here.

4 hours ago, Groo said:

Yes, you're right. If Martin only knew how much money could be made he'd get cracking. He's totally missing the chance to make money here.

Here's an unpopular opinion. Martin already made his money by selling an incomplete product to HBO and picking D&D and thus shares responsibility for how the abomination turned out. 

7 hours ago, Ivashanko said:

Eh, the big problem with that battle is that the Wall itself doesn't make much sense. It is way too tall. And I don't mean 'it is way too tall to attack', I mean 'it is way too tall to defend'.

Despite Hollywood's obsession gate battles, most siege armies focused on attacking other parts of a fortification. Given their obvious weaknesses, gates were the most heavily defended point of any defensive structure, and it was often better to focus on other, less well defended, areas.

But building such a tall wall means the gate can be attacked with impunity. The defenders on top of the wall can barely defend the gate. Their arrows would be inaccurate, most of their other weaponry doesn't work at such a height (boiling oil would cool off, most things thrown from the top of the wall would like smash back into the wall, I'm not even sure if catapults could work given how freaking cold it must be up there), it takes significant work to even get men to the top of the walls, supplying them is a nightmare, and if things go wrong they cannot rush to the gate to defend it with hand-to-hand combat.

The rangers on top of the wall are irrelevant. Mance should have just ignored them and put all his forces into fighting the real battle, the one at the gates. The Wilding's loss at the Wall are due to their own stupidity, not due to the Night Watch's superior battle tactics.

It is even stranger the wildings had lost because they were led by Mance Rayder who is a very cunning man and knew the Wall and Castle Black really well.

The fact is, the wildings didn't destroy the gate and cross the Wall because it wasn't good for the story at the time. So I don't even blame their stupidity but Martin's choice to write a battle on those terms, but not with the intention of making the wildings win.

If Jaime killed Cersei, it would destroy his character arc, not complete it. Strangling your lover to death is an act of extreme domestic violence, and it probably wouldn’t be to stop her from setting off wildfire (knocking her over the head with something would be just as effective), but as a moment of pure rage. Killing Cersei as a way of killing Jaime’s past self is on par with those guys who murder their entire family so that they can “start over” without any baggage. So while I don’t want to two of them to die in a loving embrace, it would still be infinitely better than that.

1 hour ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

If Jaime killed Cersei, it would destroy his character arc, not complete it. Strangling your lover to death is an act of extreme domestic violence, and it probably wouldn’t be to stop her from setting off wildfire (knocking her over the head with something would be just as effective), but as a moment of pure rage. Killing Cersei as a way of killing Jaime’s past self is on par with those guys who murder their entire family so that they can “start over” without any baggage. So while I don’t want to two of them to die in a loving embrace, it would still be infinitely better than that.

I don't know, I have mixed feelings there. Jaime is one of my favorite characters but Cersei is like... poison to an otherwise heroic character. Almost all of his terrible actions and decisions in some form stem from Cersei. He seems to be coming to the realization that she's bad for him finally. I don't know how I'd pick for their arc to end, but Cersei Lannister's death would accomplish a net increase of joy across Westeros.

Archived