Write here your unpopular opinion about asoiaf

Odej

3 minutes ago, Nevets said:

Daenerys is the daughter of Aerys Targaryen and Rhaella Targaryen. 

Tyrion is the son of Tywin Lannister and Joanna Lannister. 

Jon Snow is the bastard son of Rhaegar Targaryen and Lyanna Stark. 

The Pink Letter was written by Ramsay Bolton. 

Arya will not become a Faceless Man. 

Sansa is among the nicest, most decent characters in the series.  Baelish's efforts are unlikely to change that fact.

Brienne's story is, along with Jaime's, my favorite of AFFC.

TWOW will be released by the end of 2023.  If he can't finish by then, he's not going to. 

how are these unpopular Nevets?! I for one agree with almost everything you said:)

20 minutes ago, EggBlue said:

how are these unpopular Nevets?! I for one agree with almost everything you said:)

On this forum, it sometimes feels like they are unpopular, especially the first four.  And to be honest, a part of me was feeling just a bit sarcastic;).

6 hours ago, Nevets said:

Daenerys is the daughter of Aerys Targaryen and Rhaella Targaryen. 

Tyrion is the son of Tywin Lannister and Joanna Lannister. 

Jon Snow is the bastard son of Rhaegar Targaryen and Lyanna Stark. 

The Pink Letter was written by Ramsay Bolton. 

Arya will not become a Faceless Man. 

Sansa is among the nicest, most decent characters in the series.  Baelish's efforts are unlikely to change that fact.

Brienne's story is, along with Jaime's, my favorite of AFFC.

TWOW will be released by the end of 2023.  If he can't finish by then, he's not going to. 

I actually think Sansa’s hardships have made her kinder and less judgmental. She was arguably at her most rude and least empathetic in AGOT.  

7 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

I actually think Sansa’s hardships have made her kinder and less judgmental. She was arguably at her most rude and least empathetic in AGOT.  

And even she was kinda spoiled and snobby, but far from being as arrogant and mean as most spoiled noblemen kids. 

I can't believe that some seriously said that she won't go back North or doesn't fit with the Stark family anymore because of her being learning to be a political player. 

1. Aegon is a random blonde boy from the Free Cities.  Rhaegar's son died in the Red Keep with his mother and sister.  He is a possible Blackfyre.  I cannot rule that out.  But we are told that the family line was ended long ago.
  2. Bran ate Jojen.

I didn't understand people who condemn sand snakes(Nym and Tyene in particular)so strongly for wanting a kid dead (a boy-king in this world) and for wanting to crown another , while in the meantime , are willing to defend Jaimie (the guy who wanted to kill or maim a kid) , the Hound (a guy who killed a kid) and Robert (the guy who dismissed dead children as dragonspawns and wanted to kill another kid for being pregnant) . now I put the backlash against them alongside Arya's and wonder if this might -at least partly- stem from applying double standards for women.:unsure:

8 minutes ago, EggBlue said:

I didn't understand people who condemn sand snakes(Nym and Tyene in particular)so strongly for wanting a kid dead (a boy-king in this world) and for wanting to crown another , while in the meantime , are willing to defend Jaimie (the guy who wanted to kill or maim a kid) , the Hound (a guy who killed a kid) and Robert (the guy who dismissed dead children as dragonspawns and wanted to kill another kid for being pregnant) . now I put the backlash against them alongside Arya's and wonder if this might -at least partly- stem from applying double standards for women.:unsure:

I don't think that it's that, at least for most people. 

I think that the reason is the same one why many love Tywin Lannister, house Bolton while utterly despising the Freys; it's because these characters have "cool" or at least very certified badassery or cunning traits that neither the Freys nor the Sand Snakes have.

When you look at the Sand Snakes you can't say that their plans for revenge are impressive, Obara's one is even utterly stupid and even Tyene's which is far smarter is strongly flawed. And none of them have real feats so far.

People don't like characters who are both ruthless and smug, but who don't have the means (intelligence, cunning or strenght or skills) to back up their arrogance and words.

4 minutes ago, Terrorthatflapsinthenight9 said:

I don't think that it's that, at least for most people. 

I think that the reason is the same one why many love Tywin Lannister, house Bolton while utterly despising the Freys; it's because these characters have "cool" or at least very certified badassery or cunning traits that neither the Freys nor the Sand Snakes have.

When you look at the Sand Snakes you can't say that their plans for revenge are impressive, Obara's one is even utterly stupid and even Tyene's which is far smarter is strongly flawed. And none of them have real feats so far.

People don't like characters who are both ruthless and smug, but who don't have the means (intelligence, cunning or strenght or skills) to back up their arrogance and words.

true. we haven't seen any cunny from Sand Snakes yet and we have seen enough to know Obara's just too stupid and Elia's just too naive . but then there are also other female characters like Sansa and Arya.. sure a huge part of hate towards them is simple Stark-Hate , yet it doesn't end there. when Jon or Robb act like pricks towards Tyrion nobody seem to care, but when Sansa treats someone that way she is the devil! I suspect there might still be a subconscious feeling that women are supposed behave better. 

2 minutes ago, EggBlue said:

true. we haven't seen any cunny from Sand Snakes yet and we have seen enough to know Obara's just too stupid and Elia's just too naive . but then there are also other female characters like Sansa and Arya.. sure a huge part of hate towards them is simple Stark-Hate , yet it doesn't end there. when Jon or Robb act like pricks towards Tyrion nobody seem to care, but when Sansa treats someone that way she is the devil! I suspect there might still be a subconscious feeling that women are supposed behave better. 

I don't know, I've never hated or criticized Arya or Sansa.

As for the Sand Snakes Obara is the only one I actually dislike for how arrogant she is despite her stupidity and her jerkassery with her talking so casually about how she abandonned her mother and how her mother drank herself to death as a result, not counting her wanting to burn Oldtown even if it has nothing to do with her family's tragedies and suffering. 

3 hours ago, EggBlue said:

Not really.  I think it has to do with motive.  Tommen is pretty much revenge.  He hasn't harmed them and is no threat. 

Jaime tried to kill Bran because he witnessed something that, if known, would get him killed.  Also, he has shown some regret and has had a pretty big attitude change, even trying to help Sansa stay safe.

Sandor believed Mycah had attacked Joffrey.  Even so, he is liked despite that, not because of it.   He has also been protective of both Sansa and Arya. 

Robert regarded the Targaryens as a threat to his rule, which they were.

The Sand Snakes have no good strong reason to want Tommen dead.  Plus, they have done nothing else of note.

As for Arya, her sex doesn't bother me.  Her age does.

On 1/1/2022 at 10:10 PM, Son of Man said:
  1. Aegon is a random blonde boy from the Free Cities.  Rhaegar's son died in the Red Keep with his mother and sister.  He is a possible Blackfyre.  I cannot rule that out.  But we are told that the family line was ended long ago.
  2. Bran ate Jojen.

Can't talk for 2 but 1 was very much popular when I stopped frequenting the forums a year or two ago.

Baby swap is possible and I could've believed it if not for Dany's visions. Being a mummer's dragon does not rule out being a true Targaryen, you can just say he is Varys' dragon so a mummer's dragon but a stone monster(Griffin) breathing out shadow fire(Blackfyre) makes it unbelievable.

As for 2, Is Jojen a worm? Weirwood paste is obviously inspired by water of life from dune, which grrm took many inspriations from.

8 hours ago, Nevets said:

Not really.  I think it has to do with motive.  Tommen is pretty much revenge.  He hasn't harmed them and is no threat. 

that's an argument I can't disagree with:)

Jaime tried to kill Bran because he witnessed something that, if known, would get him killed.  Also, he has shown some regret and has had a pretty big attitude change, even trying to help Sansa stay safe.

I was talking about how he wanted to kill Arya when he thought Cersei wants it .

Sandor believed Mycah had attacked Joffrey.  Even so, he is liked despite that, not because of it.   He has also been protective of both Sansa and Arya. 

Robert regarded the Targaryens as a threat to his rule, which they were.

truth is if you get to know any character enough to see some of their motives more clearly you can sympathize with them and if you can see the slightest redemption quality , you can forgive them . that is what has happened with Jaimie and the Hound . 

The Sand Snakes have no good strong reason to want Tommen dead.  Plus, they have done nothing else of note.

maybe this is the most important reason they are hated so much. even more than wanting poor Tommen dead. I don't know!

4 minutes ago, EggBlue said:

truth is if you get to know any character enough to see some of their motives more clearly you can sympathize with them and if you can see the slightest redemption quality , you can forgive them . that is what has happened with Jaimie and the Hound . 

Sand snakes don’t seem to have any such quality though, and neither does Arianne. For male dorniers, since you brought this on a male-female axis, Oberyn and Darkstar don’t have any redeeming qualities either. Sand snakes are like that because of their father I think but why Arianne is such a spoiled bitch, I don’t know. Of all the characters, she is most similar to Cersei I think, not the one we currently see but her younger years.

It would make sense for Daenerys to marry Jaime once she arrives in Westeros. Both parties will share an enemy in Aegon. This is unlikely however. Daenerys will probably marry Jon for political reasons. Unless she marries someone else, or does not marry at all.

The prophecy in the house of the undying does not require Daenerys or Jon to be romantically inclined or married. It could be a description of how Jon is regarded. From Daenerys point of view, Jon's descent from Rhaegar and thus her kinship with him, is important enough to make him a significant figure.

Aegon and Daenerys should have married, and thus unite the Blackfyre line and the Targaryen primary line.

On 12/18/2021 at 9:15 PM, Only 89 selfies today said:

Jon Snow doesn't have what it takes to rule even if R+L=J turns out to be true.  Jon is a Wildling at heart and a savage.  He will never be the ruler of Westeros.  The eventual ruler of Westeros will be either Daenerys Targaryen or Aegon Blackfyre.  I would prefer Daenerys as she is the better leader of the two. 

Perhaps Daenerys is better leader than Aegon, but she would need to take Westeros from Aegon. Westeros would be better off with less conflict. Therefore Aegon is preferable for the good of Westeros.

On 12/17/2021 at 2:52 AM, EggBlue said:

my Targ Edition:

Dany: after what already seems to be Mad Cersei arc, a Mad Dany arc will send a terrible message: women get mad when they are in power. if George has any sense , in the worst case scenario he could do what he did to Rhaenaera: tragically give her an infamous reputation she won't nearly deserve. though , that would also be a terrible ending for the character.

Aegon: it's too convenient that mummer's dragon vision actually means Aegon's fake in identity ( rather than personality for example). that's like the first interpretation the reader and Dany would make which makes it boring. also, there are two types of people who would downright assume Aegon is not legit and refuse to consider other possibilities : 1) people who think he steals Dany's thunder as the rightful queen 2) people who think he steals Jon's thunder as the secret prince... the Blackfyre theory is fun and all but I hope Aegon is legit so I can laugh at the others if not anything else!!

Jon:  Rhaegar and Lyanna both seem like good people but I hate any possibility of them having been together .thus, I hope Jon is not Rhaegar's son . Jon doesn't have to be his  son to be a prominent character. he already is.:) 

I don't think either Alicent, Aegon or Rhaenyra did anything wrong. Everyone had good reason for believing that they were the real heir.

On 12/17/2021 at 11:40 AM, Terrorthatflapsinthenight9 said:

The truth about Aegon's true identity will never be known  Illyrio and Varys will take the secret with them into the grave without telling anyone the truth.

In fact it's totally possible that Varys deceived Illyrio too and that he's the only one knowing the full truth of Aegon's parentage. 

Daenerys and others may come to believe that Aegon is a fake but they'll never have the proofs or means to prove it, which means that if the Second Dance really happens then Daenerys will wear the image of a kinslayer and usurper who killed and stole her nephew's throne no matter what.

Daenerys remembers how the Golden Company men laughed off her brothers attempt to get them to back his claim. Yet somehow they back Rhaegars dead son. The reason they back Aegon is due to his Blackfyre background.

4 hours ago, EggBlue said:

I agree with this. I just never found the Sand Snakes interesting as characters, and Tommen is a kid who's never hurt anyone making their motives seem rather petty. So those are two big strikes against them in my subjective opinion. It has nothing to do with them being women. 

Maybe we'll get in their heads at some point and get a different perspective. I kind of hope not, but I did groan the first time I saw Jaime's name as a POV character too, so who knows? 

4 hours ago, norwaywolf123 said:

Daenerys remembers how the Golden Company men laughed off her brothers attempt to get them to back his claim. Yet somehow they back Rhaegars dead son. The reason they back Aegon is due to his Blackfyre background.

That's not an proof of Aegon being a Blackfyre since they were supposed to join her with Aegon marrying her, and that the circumstances aren't the sames. Daenerys won't convince many of Aegon being a false Targaryen with this kind of argument alone.

When you remember Viserys and how smug and pathetic he was, with no charisma or leadership qualities it's not hard to see why the Golden Company would have refused to follow him even without any loyalty left for the Blackfyres. Besides Viserys didn't have a Jon Connington with him, who's hardened, experienced and cunning and well acquainted with the Golden Company. 

And the context was already very different with the Seven Kingdoms being at peace and still united under Robert Baratheon at the time, the Golden Company wasn't going to try invade and overthrow Robert with the odds being so disfavorable to them. 

Current Westeros is a completely different affair as the Seven Kingdoms are strongly weakened by war and political divisions and struggles, divided in many factions and with the current king on the Iron Throne being a meek child while the real leader of the current regime, Tywin Lannister, is dead and buried and that his daughter did a magnificent job at undermining this regime. 

Archived