Write here your unpopular opinion about asoiaf

Odej

My unpopular opinion? Targ dragon riding genes that make you special and able to ride dragons and Dany is Azor Ahai because she has the very special genes from the very special genepool... is all a massive damned red herring. The extent to which genes matter at all is that some Targs are basically skinchangers with regards to their dragons. That's it. It's so very like George to pull a twist like that. After all is said and done about keeping the Targ bloodline "pure," Nettles comes along and proves you can befriend a dragon by feeding it sheep. 

• 2 weeks later...

“The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword” is a nice sentiment, but it also precludes anyone who isn’t an able-bodied male from assuming leadership. Even ninja-assassin Arya never learned how to swing a longsword. 

Margaery consummated her marriage with Renly. Plenty of gay men are able to have sex with women without issue, there’s no reason to suspect that Renly was an exception.

Ditching the five-year gap was a very bad decision (this one seems to be becoming more popular).

2 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

“The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword” is a nice sentiment, but it also precludes anyone who isn’t an able-bodied male from assuming leadership. Even ninja-assassin Arya never learned how to swing a longsword. 

I don't think "swing the sword" should necessary be taken literally.

On 1/6/2022 at 7:09 PM, Nathan Stark said:

My unpopular opinion? Targ dragon riding genes that make you special and able to ride dragons and Dany is Azor Ahai because she has the very special genes from the very special genepool... is all a massive damned red herring. The extent to which genes matter at all is that some Targs are basically skinchangers with regards to their dragons. That's it. It's so very like George to pull a twist like that. After all is said and done about keeping the Targ bloodline "pure," Nettles comes along and proves you can befriend a dragon by feeding it sheep. 

That would be a great way to demonstrate that genetic and environmental factors can lead to similar effects. :)

I do agree that, whatever the outcome of this magical heredity thing, GRRM does not intend it to be a good thing, especially the Valyrian obsession with pure blood, which has echoes of the Nazi aryan obsession.

1 hour ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

I don't think "swing the sword" should necessary be taken literally.

A lot of fans do take it literally, sadly.

1 hour ago, Phylum of Alexandria said:

That would be a great way to demonstrate that genetic and environmental factors can lead to similar effects. :)

I do agree that, whatever the outcome of this magical heredity thing, GRRM does not intend it to be a good thing, especially the Valyrian obsession with pure blood, which has echoes of the Nazi aryan obsession.

I always wondered if the reason they pronounced Arya like Ah-ya on the show was because they didn’t want people to think it was a reference to Aryan. . . 

38 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

I always wondered if the reason they pronounced Arya like Ah-ya on the show was because they didn’t want people to think it was a reference to Aryan. . . 

I used to assume English-speakers cannot pronounce the" -Rya " sound easily!

4 minutes ago, Jaenara Belarys said:

Why's that? I pronounce that fine, everybody I know pronounces it like it's supposed to be......Granted, that is a "used to", but I'm still curious. 

it was years ago! :D to be honest the "Arya" thing got into me when I first watch the show and I wasn't familiar with any english word placing r and y together . on top of that , I knew the name in Persian and Indian but not in English so I assumed it was hard to pronounce when Arya looked at Robert at said her name is "Ah-ya" in episode one!

7 minutes ago, EggBlue said:

it was years ago! :D to be honest the "Arya" thing got into me when I first watch the show and I wasn't familiar with any english word placing r and y together . on top of that , I knew the name in Persian and Indian but not in English so I assumed it was hard to pronounce when Arya looked at Robert at said her name is "Ah-ya" in episode one!

Mesa Jar Jar Binks understand now (looks at @Lord Lannister ;). 

Thank you!

On 1/19/2022 at 4:15 PM, EggBlue said:

I used to assume English-speakers cannot pronounce the" -Rya " sound easily!

In the US (at least the part where I’m from) we say ar-ee-uh. But we pronounce Aryan like air-ee-an (not too different from Aerion, now that I think about it. . .) So it’s pronounced differently but the spelling is only one letter off (even in the southern states, I think they still pronounce the words differently). I don’t know how other English speakers pronounce them, though.

Words like “controversy” are incredible though. The way Americans/Canadians pronounce it vs. how Brits/Australians do is wild. They’re like two completely different words.

I was surprised to listen to a GRRM interview once where he pronounced Sansa with an “a” like in “Anne.” I would have expected him to call her sahn-sa, like they do in the show.

1 hour ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

In the US (at least the part where I’m from) we say ar-ee-uh. But we pronounce Aryan like air-ee-an (not too different from Aerion, now that I think about it. . .) So it’s pronounced differently but the spelling is only one letter off (even in the southern states, I think they still pronounce the words differently). I don’t know how other English speakers pronounce them, though.

Words like “controversy” are incredible though. The way Americans/Canadians pronounce it vs. how Brits/Australians do is wild. They’re like two completely different words.

I was surprised to listen to a GRRM interview once where he pronounced Sansa with an “a” like in “Anne.” I would have expected him to call her sahn-sa, like they do in the show.

I've always pronounced Sansa the way George does, and Arya as Ar-ee-ya. Never occurred to me to say them any different. Also, Americans say "disoriented," whereas Brits say "disorienTATED," proving once again that Brits don't speak english properly.

On 1/19/2022 at 12:11 PM, The Bard of Banefort said:

Ditching the five-year gap was a very bad decision (this one seems to be becoming more popular).

This could be solved by having time move more naturally during the series, so a time skip wouldn't be necessary. Just have the time from agot to twow be five years. I think this is really an artifact of when the series was supposed to be a trilogy.

My first opinion on the books was based off the wall being more than it appears. A great being at rest. It’s casing melts into the water table. Wall weeps rainbows. All land in between rivers filters/fertilized differently by color and influences a godswood. Each body of land has a creature/personality/god?

The nights watch sprinkling flint on top of the wall made me think of those ants that guard caterpillars. Always bothered me that it was flint. Who’s the guy mining it? The flint mountains are far away right? Flint contains phosphate or phosphorus, fertilizer? 
I still hold this as one of my baseless theory’s. 
When Cersei manically demands  Lady’s head, I got the impression of The Red Queen of Hearts from Alice in wonderland. 

3 hours ago, Moiraine Sedai said:

Bowen Marsh did nothing wrong. 

I feel this. Bowen tried appealing to Jon so many times, and Jon just kept blowing him off. He wouldn’t have been crying when he stabbed Jon if he didn’t believe he had any other options left.

This is also an example of where ditching the five year gap was a bad idea, in my opinion. It only took Jon a few months to completely betray the Watch and get himself assassinated. Jesus Christ, he’s a bad leader.

I don’t know how unpopular this is, but it bears repeating: Fireball was not a badass. He was a dipshit who forced his wife to join the silent sisters so that he could live out his dream of being a bodyguard. Much like Criston Cole, he deserves an inglorious death.

Archived