Write here your unpopular opinion about asoiaf

Odej

59 minutes ago, frenin said:

No, I definitely understand why Jaime feels the way he does, even if they seem to me a very absurd excuse since he could definitely have bonded as an uncle with children he saw every day for a decade.

You say it's an "excuse" but I see it as a result of Jaime's flaws that his character arc is dealing with. Jaime back then was Cersei's yes-man, he wouldn't have tried to bond with his children against his sister's wishes. But now he would - this is one of the main changes in him that his maiming has caused. Overall Jaime starting to think for himself is one of the core themes of his character arc - that's what the White Book scene was about after all.

59 minutes ago, frenin said:

Now, that I understand him doesn't mean that two handed Jaime grew to feel nothing towards his children. And I still find Martin's insistence of him caring about them,when he was explicit in word and in thought about only really caring about Cersei and Tyrion, as a way for fans to forget that he crippled a kid and make his ¿redemption? far more palatable.

I don't think there is an inconsistency. Like I said before, it's like with Tywin, Jaime thought he cared about his father but actually didn't. Now, considering that the only people he truly loved were Cersei and Tyrion, does it mean he wouldn't have cared about his father's safety? Well, no, we know he would have. The same can apply to his children in the Bran incident. Seems pretty consistent with what we know about Jaime's character to me.

On 2/3/2022 at 1:05 AM, Dofs said:

You say it's an "excuse" but I see it as a result of Jaime's flaws that his character arc is dealing with. Jaime back then was Cersei's yes-man, he wouldn't have tried to bond with his children against his sister's wishes. But now he would - this is one of the main changes in him that his maiming has caused. Overall Jaime starting to think for himself is one of the core themes of his character arc - that's what the White Book scene was about after all.

Jaime always pushed Cersei even if he may sometime let her have the last word sometimes. Bonding with children you're forced to be close with 24/7 and 365 days a years seems just a byproduct of it, especially if you're close family.

On 2/3/2022 at 1:05 AM, Dofs said:

I don't think there is an inconsistency. Like I said before, it's like with Tywin, Jaime thought he cared about his father but actually didn't. Now, considering that the only people he truly loved were Cersei and Tyrion, does it mean he wouldn't have cared about his father's safety? Well, no, we know he would have. The same can apply to his children in the Bran incident. Seems pretty consistent with what we know about Jaime's character to me.

I don't think Jaime really thinks that much he cares? He point blank tells Cat that the only Lannisters he cares about are his father and siblings and he himself barely ever thinks of his children.

His main reason for trying to push Bran, that Martin pushes, being the safety of her children and not trying to save his neck and Cersei's seems oddly convenient.

But this is a thread about unpopular opinions, not about Jaime's character, so I'll leave it at that.

4 hours ago, frenin said:

Jaime always pushed Cersei even if he may sometime let her have the last word sometimes.

Eh, cough, cough... wait... What? It's literally the opposite! The only thing Jaime pushed was to have sex, otherwise he was her yes-man quite literally. Heck, when he came back from captivity and made a serious offer to her, she was like "wtf, who are you?!". Jaime not listening his sister's every wish anymore was also the entire reason why she was so pissed at him in Feast.

4 hours ago, frenin said:

I don't think Jaime really thinks that much he cares? He point blank tells Cat that the only Lannisters he cares about are his father and siblings and he himself barely ever thinks of his children.

His main reason for trying to push Bran, that Martin pushes, being the safety of her children and not trying to save his neck and Cersei's seems oddly convenient.

But this is a thread about unpopular opinions, not about Jaime's character, so I'll leave it at that.

Well, I'll repeat my point that the chapter where Jaime finds out about Joffrey's death has a quite definitive description of his feelings towards his children and I don't understand what's there to argue about. There are only so many ways you can interpret his musings in that chapter after all.

On 2/11/2022 at 1:47 PM, Corvo the Crow said:

Sansa may indeed marry Harry, not Harry the Hair, no, but Harry Karstark. To bridge the gap between Karstark and Stark that's done thanks to Robb's obviously stupid action. Jon has already done his part to make up for Robb's mistakes, Sansa may take it a step further and marry Harry.

Not to generalize, but the Northmen typically do have more hair than Vale people. :P

18 hours ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

Not to generalize, but the Northmen typically do have more hair than Vale people. :P

I don't think we've been given such an information. They have more facial hair but that's the extent of our knowledge. I can't think of anyone beside the Baratheon Brothers that we are told to be hairy guys.

1 hour ago, Corvo the Crow said:

I don't think we've been given such an information. They have more facial hair but that's the extent of our knowledge. I can't think of anyone beside the Baratheon Brothers that we are told to be hairy guys.

Jorah Mormont, the Big Bear.

Brandon Stark likely never really loved Barbrey Dustin romantically or truly intended to marry her, and her grudge against Rickard Stark's maester is largely due to her needing a scapegoat and refusing to admit that Brandon may have not loved her and would have most likely married Catelyn Tully or someone else without the maester's influence anyway.

(Copied and pasted from another thread) With Dany and Drogo, I think George was trying to tell a story about a young girl whose strength and charisma was so formidable that it won her a khalassar and wooed a khal. I always try to take writer intentionality into consideration, since even a writer as talented as George isn’t perfect. I think we can all agree that he messed up the ages, and that his solution to this was just to write the kids as adults (hopefully he just makes the years longer, or hires a nerd to go back and retcon all the dates/ages for him). With that in mind, Dany’s wedding night is no different than that of any other arranged marriage—it’s even a bit better than in Westeros, as there’s no embarrassing bedding ceremony. The next time we see her, Dany is miserable from riding all day and Drogo’s roughness in bed. We see this as assault, but I think that George probably intended for it to comes across as Dany using her womanly charms to tame the barbarian and teach him how to treat a lady. The way each person interprets it, I suppose, depends on what you’re willing to overlook in order to enjoy the story.

51 minutes ago, EggBlue said:

tell George I'll volunteer! 

25 minutes ago, Jaenara Belarys said:

Tie this nut and throw her in a basement! I'm the volunteer!

I mean, nerds have made huge, complex maps/timelines/resources about ASOIAF completely for free. I’m sure he can find one to retcon the timeline for a couple hundred bucks :P

22 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

I mean, nerds have made huge, complex maps/timelines/resources about ASOIAF completely for free. I’m sure he can find one to retcon the timeline for a couple hundred bucks :P

They were on the far side of the Dothraki sea when Jhiqui brushed the soft swell of Dany’s stomach with her fingers and said, “Khaleesi, you are with child.” “I know,” Dany told her. It was her seventeenth name day.

there you go.. here's a start. 

5 minutes ago, EggBlue said:

They were on the far side of the Dothraki sea when Jhiqui brushed the soft swell of Dany’s stomach with her fingers and said, “Khaleesi, you are with child.” “I know,” Dany told her. It was her seventeenth name day.

there you go.. here's a start. 

“I’m looking for a maid of six-and-ten.”

Archived