Jump to content

Write here your unpopular opinion about asoiaf


Odej

Recommended Posts

On 11/27/2021 at 6:33 AM, Moiraine Sedai said:

Unpopular? It depends on perspective. I want Jon and his wolf to die. That meathead caused a lot of problems at the Wall to rescue fake Arya.

Now, I can understand at the very least that you despise Jon. But Ghost, too? Ghost is a cute, furry ball of fluff who occasionally rips limbs off.  What could you possibly have against that?  

Edited by Jaenara Belarys
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Apoplexy said:

Putting incest front and center was a terrible idea. It was there for shock value only and it detracts from the complex, intricate characters and political intrigue. Makes the series seem like a penny dreadful.

I mean, the incest is necessary for the plot to go off. Without that, there's a smaller chance of the War of the Five Kings being kicked off. The only time where I wished that there wasn't any incest was the Jaime/Cersei scene in the sept in ASOS. 

Besides that, I think the political intrigue is fine. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Jaenara Belarys said:

I mean, the incest is necessary for the plot to go off. Without that, there's a smaller chance of the War of the Five Kings being kicked off. The only time where I wished that there wasn't any incest was the Jaime/Cersei scene in the sept in ASOS. 

Besides that, I think the political intrigue is fine. 

There is something to be said for how, after the show bungled the sept scene, George wrote a blog post saying that he intended for that scene to be disturbing, just not in “that way.” It makes me wonder if it was supposed to signal the beginning of the end for their relationship.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

There is something to be said for how, after the show bungled the sept scene, George wrote a blog post saying that he intended for that scene to be disturbing, just not in “that way.” It makes me wonder if it was supposed to signal the beginning of the end for their relationship.

I don't know how screwing your sister by your dead son's corpse is supposed to signal the beginning of the end for them (he doesn't show any guilt about it, beyond worrying about septons). I could understand it if she tried to seduce Jaime to convince him to kill Tyrion....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, BRANDON GREYSTARK said:

That GRRM has become bored with ASOIAF and want to do the small novellas about other characters .

In a couple years if Winds of Winter doesn't come out , the readers will begin to stop caring ,  and move on something else .

As much as I want TWOW, part of me thinks he should go back to writing DaE and FaB if that's what makes him happy. I just want to read something.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Starks will be the real antagonists in the series.  Jon will get wighted and come back to "life." Bran will be the traitor to Bloodraven and choose instead to serve his family instead of helping mankind to fight the Others.  Arya will follow Jon even into death.  Desire to avenge the family will over-ride everything else and Jon and Bran will send the wights to attack the Boltons.  They will set loose a deadly force which they cannot stop.  Jon, Arya, Rickon, and Bran will live as a direwolf pack. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Jaenara Belarys said:

I mean, the incest is necessary for the plot to go off. Without that, there's a smaller chance of the War of the Five Kings being kicked off. The only time where I wished that there wasn't any incest was the Jaime/Cersei scene in the sept in ASOS. 

Besides that, I think the political intrigue is fine. 

If Jaime and Cersei weren't related, Joffrey, Tommen and Myrcella would still be illegitimate. I don't understand how them being related affects the plot in any way. The incest just seems like a cheap way to attract eyeballs. Which the novels don't need since the rest of the plot (political intrigue included) is pretty compelling.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

There is something to be said for how, after the show bungled the sept scene, George wrote a blog post saying that he intended for that scene to be disturbing, just not in “that way.” It makes me wonder if it was supposed to signal the beginning of the end for their relationship.

To me it just seemed like another scene put in for shock value. 

Same about all the Targ incest.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quaithe is a boring and dumb character whose main role is to be a human exposition dump in Clash. The rest of the story, she shows up to make Dany be paranoid, and nothing else. The biggest fan theory about her is that she might be Shiera Seastar, a bland hot girl character who never shows up in story and has maybe one oblique mention across 5 published books. I will never understand the fascination people have for Quaithe. Maybe it's to find something interesting about her in the absence of actual depth.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Nathan Stark said:

Quaithe is a boring and dumb character whose main role is to be a human exposition dump in Clash. The rest of the story, she shows up to make Dany be paranoid, and nothing else. The biggest fan theory about her is that she might be Shiera Seastar, a bland hot girl character who never shows up in story and has maybe one oblique mention across 5 published books. I will never understand the fascination people have for Quaithe. Maybe it's to find something interesting about her in the absence of actual depth.

Quaithe is not even a character my friend. she is a prophecy radio/danger alarm 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, EggBlue said:

Quaithe is not even a character my friend. she is a prophecy radio/danger alarm 

Not to mention that she’s probably going to inadvertently push Daenerys towards mass destruction. That’s what you get for trying to save the world. . . 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Apoplexy said:

To me it just seemed like another scene put in for shock value. 

Same about all the Targ incest.

A little while back, I posted on here about how I saw someone get really upset online about how Alyssa Targaryen (Jaehaerys’ daughter) was written as so sexual in FaB. What bothered them was that Alyssa was 15, not that she was having sex with her brother. For whatever reason, people are willing to overlook the incest, even though it’s much less normal in our society than teenagers having sex is. Maybe that’s why they’re able to overlook it. (Granted, if the people sleeping with their relatives in this series weren’t described as hot, more people would probably be grossed out by it).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Nathan Stark said:

Quaithe is a boring and dumb character whose main role is to be a human exposition dump in Clash. The rest of the story, she shows up to make Dany be paranoid, and nothing else. The biggest fan theory about her is that she might be Shiera Seastar, a bland hot girl character who never shows up in story and has maybe one oblique mention across 5 published books. I will never understand the fascination people have for Quaithe. Maybe it's to find something interesting about her in the absence of actual depth.

 

Quote

 

A Dance with Dragons - The Kingbreaker

Bittersteel and Bloodraven both loved Shiera Seastar,

 

 
 
That's a pretty big one to go off of though to be fair. This is the same book where we discover that the Three Eyed Crow Bran has been searching for, is actually Bloodraven, who is still alive. So the idea that Bloodraven can have active family members in the current story isn't far flung. Be it Blackwood or Targaryen.
 
Though Im not a fan of Bloodraven and Shiera SeaStar being Quaithe's mother. I think if Bloodraven (Bleeding), and Shiera Sea(Star) have any kids, its Melisandre. Who is the Bleeding Star that heralds the coming of Azor Ahai. As she's the only one piping about it through most of the books, and the first to do so from the readers pov. It makes sense in my mind.
 
Quiathe seems to be connected to House Dayne somehow id venture. If not Ashara Dayne protecting her daughter, its someone who knows the truth and wants Daenerys to remember. 
 

 

Quote

 

A Game of Thrones - Daenerys IX

"You don't want to wake the dragon, do you?"
She saw sunlight on the Dothraki sea, the living plain, rich with the smells of earth and death. Wind stirred the grasses, and they rippled like water. Drogo held her in strong arms, and his hand stroked her sex and opened her and woke that sweet wetness that was his alone, and the stars smiled down on them, stars in a daylight sky. "Home," she whispered as he entered her and filled her with his seed, but suddenly the stars were gone, and across the blue sky swept the great wings, and the world took flame.

 

 
 

 

Quote

 

A Game of Thrones - Daenerys IX

And saw her brother Rhaegar, mounted on a stallion as black as his armor. Fire glimmered red through the narrow eye slit of his helm. "The last dragon," Ser Jorah's voice whispered faintly. "The last, the last." Dany lifted his polished black visor. The face within was her own.
After that, for a long time, there was only the pain, the fire within her, and the whisperings of stars.
She woke to the taste of ashes.

 

She sees her self as Rhaegar, then the whisperings of the Stars.
 
Starfall. House Dayne. Day(ne) star. Day Star
 

 

Quote

 

A Feast for Crows - The Queenmaker

"Are you the Sword of the Morning now?"
"No. Men call me Darkstar, and I am of the night."

 

 
 

 

Quote

 

A Dance with Dragons - The Kingbreaker

Even after all these years, Ser Barristan could still recall Ashara's smile, the sound of her laughter. He had only to close his eyes to see her, with her long dark hair tumbling about her shoulders and those haunting purple eyes. Daenerys has the same eyes. Sometimes when the queen looked at him, he felt as if he were looking at Ashara's daughter
 
But Ashara's daughter had been stillborn, and his fair lady had thrown herself from a tower soon after


 

 

 

Quote

 

A Game of Thrones - Eddard XII

"I shall wear that as a badge of honor," Ned said dryly.
"Honor," she spat. "How dare you play the noble lord with me! What do you take me for? You've a bastard of your own, I've seen him. Who was the mother, I wonder? Some Dornish peasant you raped while her holdfast burned? A whore? Or was it the grieving sister, the Lady Ashara? She threw herself into the sea, I'm told. Why was that? For the brother you slew, or the child you stole?

 

 
 
Daenerys is the Dayne Heiress. 
 
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, AlaskanSandman said:

 

 
 
That's a pretty big one to go off of though to be fair. This is the same book where we discover that the Three Eyed Crow Bran has been searching for, is actually Bloodraven, who is still alive. So the idea that Bloodraven can have active family members in the current story isn't far flung. Be it Blackwood or Targaryen.
 
Though Im not a fan of Bloodraven and Shiera SeaStar being Quaithe's mother. I think if Bloodraven (Bleeding), and Shiera Sea(Star) have any kids, its Melisandre. Who is the Bleeding Star that heralds the coming of Azor Ahai. As she's the only one piping about it through most of the books, and the first to do so from the readers pov. It makes sense in my mind.
 
Quiathe seems to be connected to House Dayne somehow id venture. If not Ashara Dayne protecting her daughter, its someone who knows the truth and wants Daenerys to remember. 
 

 

 
 

 

She sees her self as Rhaegar, then the whisperings of the Stars.
 
Starfall. House Dayne. Day(ne) star. Day Star
 

 

 
 

 

 

 

 
 
Daenerys is the Dayne Heiress. 
 

See, this is my point. Quaithe on her own is not an interesting character. People have to create theories around Quaithe to make her more interesting and to serve a larger purpose in the narrative. Because as things stand now with Quaithe, there's no there there.

Sure, Quaithe could be a daughter of Sheira Seastar and Bloodraven. Maybe. She's still boring.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Nathan Stark said:

See, this is my point. Quaithe on her own is not an interesting character. People have to create theories around Quaithe to make her more interesting and to serve a larger purpose in the narrative. Because as things stand now with Quaithe, there's no there there.

Sure, Quaithe could be a daughter of Sheira Seastar and Bloodraven. Maybe. She's still boring.

That's a matter of opinion of course. For some people, the mystery around her is what makes her an interesting character. Same could be said for Rhaegar and Aegon the Conqueror as far as not given much and mostly a mystery.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, AlaskanSandman said:

That's a matter of opinion of course. For some people, the mystery around her is what makes her an interesting character. Same could be said for Rhaegar and Aegon the Conqueror as far as not given much and mostly a mystery.

these examples are not the same really. from time to time we get little bits of information about Rhaegar which either contradicts with some other info we got earlier or work with them in a way. that builds up a mystery around him . that makes the reader wonder who he really was and what he really wanted. it's not that different for Aegon C . you hear of all things he's done and then it makes you want to know him as a character not just a kingly figure. Quaithe is something else. she just pops up and says stuff. there is honestly not much to go further than "what the hell?" .. there is not much mystery around her . there is not much anything around her. she is a mystery herself . the only reason people speculate about her and she has become subject of debate is that books are taking forever to come out which leads to grand theories and connecting points from all the universe to make sense of the characters who don't make much sense.... granted though, the Three Eyed Crow wouldn't have been much of a character if he wasn't revealed to Bloodraven ( in my opinion , George should write a bit about how Bloodraven's agenda has changed/altered to whatever it is now or tTEC will be a sloppy character nonetheless) . so, same could go for Quaithe in the future. but the point is there is nothing now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...