Watch, Watching, Watch -- Hold 'em, Fold 'em, When to Walk Away

Zorral

Watched the two seasons of The end of the f***ing world. Twas what you'd expect from the trailers. A bit predictable at times, and not that funny, but there were some good moments and lines. Don't think I'd recommend, because even if it's a pretty good show, it doesn't really have anything very original.

Also finished all three seasons of Final space. Now, that was a surprise. The first few episodes didn't strike me as anything impressive, more like a cheesy pastiche of various science-fiction movies and shows. And then, progessively, the story just takes off into something amazing. The situations keep getting more extreme, and visually beautiful. And the cheesiness just starts working, because they've taken the care to establish the necessary characterization (there's something heartwarming about the way they do characterization on this show). It can also be quite dark, with a handful of horrifying moments.
Looking back, my favorite season was probably the first, because I had low expectations, and was pleasantly surprised. Season 2 had some good standalones but a looser plotline, and I didn't take to the new characters quickly enough. Season 3... Not sure what to make of season 3, because the show doesn't have an actual ending, which kinda ruins it. Kinda, because a number of plotlines still get resolved satisfyingly. But I'll definitely want to see a proper ending if it is ever made.

Acorn TV and Channel 5's Dalgliesh, November 2021.  Episodes 5 and 6, A Taste For Death, went up here last night.  A Taste For Death was far and away this series's best out of the three P.D. James novels it adapted.  Much superior to the previous two, which were so claustrophobic, despite The Black Tower's setting on the Coast with cliffs and other spectacular scenery.

Among the elements in the adaptation that made A Taste For Death so much more engaging was Kate Miskin, the young, racially mixed uniform cop Dalgliesh met in Devon and brought back as part of his team as sergeant in London because she'd been so effective and enterprising in the Black Tower case.  We've seen throughout that Chief Inspector Dalgliesh -- who is also a poet -- and his serving assistant are chalk and cheese.  And that assistant is a rather nasty guy.  Imagine how he reacts to the new team member, who is both female and mixed race, when he's a sexist pig and racist, among other pleasant characteristics. But he can be redeemed, we can see that, but it's going to be a lot of work.  But this conflict is done right, and contributes a whole lot of vitality on the screen dominated by Dalgliesh's character, who presents, let us admit it, as quite chilly, no matter what his interior self is.

This is the 1970's. In A Taste For Death the recreation of hair, clothes, style, and fashion are impeccable, for the men as well as the women, and for each character's own background and taste too. Additionally this one was lighted so much better than the first on, A Shroud for a Nightingale, and much of the Black Tower.  So well lighted and photographed, that it was a beautiful watch.

I watched the first episode of Yellowjackets and really enjoyed it. I wish I could binge it now. 

Also finished the new season of Narcos: Mexico. I enjoyed it more than the first 2 seasons, but the last few episodes felt rushed or something. Either way nice sendoff to the series.

3 hours ago, DMC said:

I have to say I'm actually a pretty big fan of Gibson as a filmmaker.

Braveheart was fantastic but everyone overlooks his directorial debut, The Man without a Face. And Jodie Foster directing him in The Beaver was fine as hell.

3 hours ago, DMC said:

I haven't seen Hacksaw Ridge

Must watch mate! Garfield at his best (apart from Silence and the recent Tick Tick boom)

3 hours ago, DMC said:

but other than Passion...Apocalypto remains one of my favorite "underrated" movies....

If Roger Ebert in his decades of film viewing claims it to be the most violent movie...on my watchlist

Heard Gibson wanted to make an Apocalypto like movie (original language) with a Viking DiCaprio titled Berserker but couldn't...would've been fantastic

Though Night Shyamalan's Signs had all the hallmarks of a Manoj thriller, the return to faith ending seemed a Gibson signature. Phoenix was hilarious IMO

4 minutes ago, TheLastWolf said:

Braveheart was fantastic but everyone overlooks his directorial debut, The Man without a Face.

I thought Man Without a Face was very good as well, just chose to emphasize Apocalypto because I like it even more.

5 minutes ago, TheLastWolf said:

Garfield at his best

That's not the best sales pitch for me.

Just now, DMC said:

Because Andrew Garfield is never going to be a reason for why I watch a movie.

Oo! Harsh. I kinda disliked him at first after the Spidey duology but after hearing praise for The Social Network (still on my watchlist) and watching Silence and Ridge, he can act. Not De Niro level, but more than competent

Apocalypto is a good movie. I own a copy and would show it to someone who hasn't seen it, but Idk if I'd watch it again independently unless I was just flipping through the channels, and even then you're possibly getting an edited version of the film which I wouldn't recommend. The Man without a Face, likewise, is a good movie overall, but I see no need to revisit it by myself. 

Triple binge

Rewatches of Monty Python and The Holy Grail, On The Waterfront & The Seventh Seal

Only Kazan left. Adored the dark humor and nihilism in the other two

EDIT

Brando feels a bit restrained but the film itself is marvelous, esp screenplay!

Archived