Who will tell Jon snow that Robb chose him as the next king in the north

The "Greatjon" Umber

1 hour ago, The "Greatjon" Umber said:

There are multiple possible characters that can give the message to Jon in order to inform him he is the king in the north, who do you think it will be? 

Jon Snow is not Robb's heir though. Robb's heir is bran stark his trueborn brother.After bran there's rickon, Jon was only considered because these two were dead. 

And most importantly you can't tell dead men anything

1 hour ago, Canon Claude said:

Unless Jeyne Westerling and Edmure Tully are going to die, then I imagine Jeyne will also factor into the succession of House Stark. Since we’re talking about this, I figure she’s going to have some part to play. 

It's almost certain that she'll be involved in the larger plot somehow. Back in 2013 Martin said that he'd told D&D not to kill off Talisa, since her book counterpart - Jeyne - was going to be very important later on. We've yet to see what exactly that means.

12 minutes ago, WhatAnArtist! said:

It's almost certain that she'll be involved in the larger plot somehow. Back in 2013 Martin said that he'd told D&D not to kill off Talisa, since her book counterpart - Jeyne - was going to be very important later on. We've yet to see what exactly that means.

I guess there's the hip discrepancy and the possibility of Jeyne being secreted away to bear Robb's child.

2 hours ago, The "Greatjon" Umber said:

There are multiple possible characters that can give the message to Jon in order to inform him he is the king in the north, who do you think it will be? 

If Robb did such a thing. What would it mean anyway. Robb had no authority to do that. Robb was the lord of Winterfell. Nothing more. It was not in his power to make Jon kitn.  

5 minutes ago, Moiraine Sedai said:

If Robb did such a thing. What would it mean anyway. Robb had no authority to do that. Robb was the lord of Winterfell. Nothing more. It was not in his power to make Jon kitn.  

Robb was king in the North . by that he had authority. if Robb's not counted as king neither will Jon nor anyone else who'd like to wear the crown of kings of winter

2 minutes ago, EggBlue said:

Robb was king in the North . by that he had authority. if Robb's not counted as king neither will Jon nor anyone else who'd like to wear the crown of kings of winter

He tried but failed. Robb was a lord trying to become the king of an independent north. It didn’t happen. 
I’m not saying there aren’t people in the north who would accept Jon. Many would. But my guess is that many more will prefer Roose to a guy who wants to give their lands to the wildlings and opened the north to the wildlings.  The Boltons defeated the Ironborn and secure Moat Caitlin for the north. Lady Dustin and the Karstarks are already in his camp. 

Jon’s fate will be decided by who controls the north. A wild north won’t care about decrees. Free Folk only care about the strong. Jon will have to prove himself to lead the FF. A Bolton north won’t care about the decree.  Jon’s only chance will come from the FF unless Stannis wins. 

Did Robb really chose Jon as the KitN though? I know that's the general view but Catelyn will be a logical choice as Robb's successor, not Jon. Catelyn is widow of Ned Stark, and a Tully by birth, so she is a link to North and Riverlands, she is not a black brother bound by vows, she can always remarry and we know from Agot Catelyn II that she could have another child. Robb also can forsake his title as king and write in his will that he decided to support Stannis' right to Iron Throne, and name his mother as Lady of Winterfell. 

2 minutes ago, Aejohn the Conqueroo said:

Some liar for all we know. Just because Cat drops it, doesn't mean that Robb didn't change his mind. I personally believe that Manderly has seen or has the will and his deal with Davos for Rickon is consistent with it. 

So you're saying Robb chose Stannis as king? That's the deal Wyman makes with Davos.

39 minutes ago, Moiraine Sedai said:

He tried but failed. Robb was a lord trying to become the king of an independent north. It didn’t happen. 

He was acclaimed as king by all of the great lords of the north and the riverlands, i.e. over half of all of Westeros in terms of area. Just because he failed doesn't mean that he wasn't a king, for that brief period.

10 minutes ago, Floki of the Ironborn said:

So you're saying Robb chose Stannis as king? That's the deal Wyman makes with Davos.

Yes, essentially. Ned’s plan was never to rebel against the crown it was to support Stannis instead of Lannisters.  What did Robb envision for his kingdom if he died in the South? Perpetual rebellion and war with an inevitable end?  Finding common cause with Stannis would allow a 3rd option.  The other side of it too is that Manderly’s whole deal with Davos is treasonous if it’s a scheme that he cooked up himself.

9 minutes ago, Aejohn the Conqueroo said:

Ned’s plan was never to rebel against the crown it was to support Stannis instead of Lannisters

My memory fails me - did Robb ever learn of this fact? It seems that the honourable thing for Robb to do would have been to respect his father's decision and side with Stannis.

23 minutes ago, WhatAnArtist! said:

My memory fails me - did Robb ever learn of this fact? It seems that the honourable thing for Robb to do would have been to respect his father's decision and side with Stannis.

Stannis hadn't declared himself king when Robb was crowned by his bannermen, and Ned didn't send a letter to him to inform him about Stannis being the rightful king.

4 hours ago, Terrorthatflapsinthenight9 said:

It will be either Maege Mormont or Galbart Glover who carried Robb's will and were sent into the Neck to find Howland Reed and get his help to retake Moat Calin, or it will be Howland himself if he comes to Winterfell after it's taken back and that house Stark is restored to power.

While Maege and Galbart are aware of Robb's intentions and can inform Howland, I would be surprised if either has a copy of the will.

"My lord, I need two of your longships to sail around the Cape of Eagles and up the Neck to Greywater Watch."

Lord Jason hesitated. "A dozen streams drain the wetwood, all shallow, silty, and uncharted. I would not even call them rivers. The channels are ever drifting and changing. There are endless sandbars, deadfalls, and tangles of rotting trees. And Greywater Watch moves. How are my ships to find it?"

"Go upriver flying my banner. The crannogmen will find you. I want two ships to double the chances of my message reaching Howland Reed. Lady Maege shall go on one, Galbart on the second." He turned to the two he'd named. "You'll carry letters for those lords of mine who remain in the north, but all the commands within will be false, in case you have the misfortune to be taken. If that happens, you must tell them that you were sailing for the north. Back to Bear Island, or for the Stony Shore." He tapped a finger on the map. "Moat Cailin is the key. Lord Balon knew that, which is why he sent his brother Victarion there with the hard heart of the Greyjoy strength." (ASOS Catelyn V)

4 minutes ago, WhatAnArtist! said:

My memory fails me - did Robb ever learn of this fact?

ooh, that's a good question.  It would be dependent upon Cat I believe. She was gone from KL though before Ned started to plot his 'treasons'... so maybe there isn't a straight line... 

Cat was quite shaken by Renley's assassination and remembered that Stannis named Robb an usurper as well.  That may have influenced the decision. It's also not impossible that Robb would have reached that conclusion alone because he didn't want to will his doom to his heir and common cause with Stannis would allow Jon or whoever to return as Lord of Winterfell to the King's peace.

1 hour ago, WhatAnArtist! said:

He was acclaimed as king by all of the great lords of the north and the riverlands, i.e. over half of all of Westeros in terms of area. Just because he failed doesn't mean that he wasn't a king, for that brief period.

They were subjects of Westeros. They have to win independence before they can choose their own king.  

Archived