Biggest hypocrite in the series ?

2 hours ago, James Steller said:

I have my own issues with Truman's decision to use the atom bomb (twice) but that's a whole other conversation

I'm down, especially if we keep it Tywin related.

2 hours ago, James Steller said:

Tywin was absolutely a hypocrite, in more ways than one. He stresses loyalty to family above all else, when he's perfectly happy to sacrifice family members that don't match his standards

Yeah for sure. Threatening Tommen to save the virtue of a whore, we know Tywin would do anything rather then admit defeat. 

3 hours ago, James Steller said:

Tywin also loathes Tyrion's habit of hiring sex workers when he himself does the same thing, to the point that he had a secret passageway built to a brothel from the Red Keep

Lol

And he can lie about it all he wants, I don't doubt for a second that he sent Gregor Clegane after Elia and the children because he knew who Gregor was, and he remembered that Elia was the one who Rhaegar married instead of Cersei, and he also remembered Aerys' comments about Cersei's - and thus Tywin's - unworthiness of Rhaegar

I don't think this is hypocrisy, it's just classic bullshit. But there's none of that holier then thou, Eddard style

He's  been blatantly ignorant of Cersei and Jaime's incest for years, even when Joanna caught wind of it when they were kids.

Again not hypocrisy, just stupidity?  Ignorant willingness? Or maybe even a bit of looking the other way like Cersei did with Joff

He also gives this big lecture to Joffrey about not holding grudges and allowing beaten enemies to bend the knee and be allowed to stand up again, when he never forgave Tyrion for being born and "killing" his wife.

He never told Joff to forgive them, just allowed them to serve. Which he honestly did to the "murderer" of Joanna too.

1 hour ago, SeanF said:

If you’re old enough to bear arms, you’re old enough to be put to death.

That doesn't make it any less terrible.  What Theon (and his mother) experienced was just awful

1 hour ago, SeanF said:

Different circumstances.  Child or not, Theon is a hostage.  And, he is not an infant.

Ok, dragonspawns murder. But what was Joff, if not a hostage to make sure Cersei and Tywin don't act up?

Karstark slew 2 non infant hostages, Robb deemed this disgusting 

5 minutes ago, The Jingo said:

Lyanna Stark. 

Complains that Robert is sleeping around (even though he's taken vows to nobody), and then turns around and enables Rhaegar to cheat on his wife (who he has taken vows to). 

This cracked me up.

Uno reverse card.

This makes Lyanna a bigger hypocrite than Robert.

17 minutes ago, Hugorfonics said:

I'm down, especially if we keep it Tywin related.

Yeah for sure. Threatening Tommen to save the virtue of a whore, we know Tywin would do anything rather then admit defeat. 

Lol

I don't think this is hypocrisy, it's just classic bullshit. But there's none of that holier then thou, Eddard style

Again not hypocrisy, just stupidity?  Ignorant willingness? Or maybe even a bit of looking the other way like Cersei did with Joff

He never told Joff to forgive them, just allowed them to serve. Which he honestly did to the "murderer" of Joanna too.

That doesn't make it any less terrible.  What Theon (and his mother) experienced was just awful

Ok, dragonspawns murder. But what was Joff, if not a hostage to make sure Cersei and Tywin don't act up?

Karstark slew 2 non infant hostages, Robb deemed this disgusting 

The issue was not so much their age;  the issue was that they were under Robb’s protection.  Karstark made his king a liar in the eyes of the world, endangering prisoners held by the Lannisters, as well as murdering a couple of Tully soldiers.

15 minutes ago, SeanF said:

The issue was not so much their age;  the issue was that they were under Robb’s protection.  Karstark made his king a liar in the eyes of the world, endangering prisoners held by the Lannisters, as well as murdering a couple of Tully soldiers.

Kinda. The story is Jaime escaped, so it's understandable that Robbs upset, so in the eyes of the world, Robbs (Karstarks) in the right, but fuck that world man. I'm sick of arguing semantics in Bradon the Builders world. Killing innocents who's balls haven't even dropped yet is cowardly and immoral, fullstop.( no matter what the consequences are. Again Eddard pops up here, arguing in favor of the mad king's grandson and his horde of dothraki) But when it comes to Theon, his life is for the taking

That's another Eddard hypocrisy thing. Actually by far my biggest pet peeve with The Ned (and most asoiaf folk, but they don't have pull like Eddard)

"You should have taken the realm for yourself. It was there for the taking. Jaime told me how you found him on the Iron Throne the day King's Landing fell, and made him yield it up. That was your moment. All you needed to do was climb those steps, and sit. Such a sad mistake."

Why do you follow a fool like Robert? Why do you want to hand the realm to a tyrant like Stannis? Why are you hesitant to destroy Tywin?

Your the fucking Hand, use it! You made Robert! You took KL! And now you don't wanna be a traitor to some archaic ass laws despite being a traitor in the past? Well too bad, Jon Snow says hi!

Such a hypocrite, a sad hypocrite.

9 minutes ago, Phylum of Alexandria said:

In theory that's true, but this was never put to the test. Similarly, Dany is holding hostages in Mereen, and she almost certainly would not kill them--though the Shavepate may eventually do so.

He wants too. Dany really doesn't. Selmy refuses, which is nice and honorable but pretty dumb lol.

Theon thought he was going to die at any moment, there's definitely a fear of Ice thing, and the fact that he had him close st hand when he did his beheadings was imo hysterically cruel.

Not just Theon but Cat also assumed Ned was capable.  Then when Jons buddies at the wall ask his sincerity, well, 

So you tell me, boy … if these wildling friends o' yours prove false, do you have the belly to do what needs be done?"

Ask Janos Slynt. "Tormund Giantsbane knows better than to try me. I may seem a green boy in your eyes, Lord Norrey, but I am still a son of Eddard Stark."

Jon is sincere, he is the son of Eddard Stark (adopted  lol)

7 minutes ago, Hugorfonics said:

That's another Eddard hypocrisy thing. Actually by far my biggest pet peeve with The Ned (and most asoiaf folk, but they don't have pull like Eddard)

Why do you follow a fool like Robert? Why do you want to hand the realm to a tyrant like Stannis? Why are you hesitant to destroy Tywin?

Your the fucking Hand, use it! You made Robert! You took KL! And now you don't wanna be a traitor to some archaic ass laws despite being a traitor in the past? Well too bad, Jon Snow says hi!

Such a hypocrite, a sad hypocrite.

I don't think hypocrisy has to do with why Ned and Jon Arryn passed the crown to Robert, or to Stannis. It's just that there was some kind of legitimacy fig leaf that they could use with Robert, given his dash of Targaryen blood. And same for Stannis: he was the legitimate heir to the throne. They went through with the rebellion because of Aerys' abuses of power, but they tried to impose some mechanisms of stability afterward.

"Might equals right" basically equals anarchy.

1 hour ago, The Jingo said:

Lyanna Stark. 

Complains that Robert is sleeping around (even though he's taken vows to nobody), and then turns around and enables Rhaegar to cheat on his wife (who he has taken vows to). 

I was thinking of this one too. It was such a strange line to include in AGOT, since it’s one of the only direct quotes we get from Lyanna and obviously everything written about her is done extremely carefully. Why include a line about how Lyanna didn’t want to marry an unfaithful man if she ran off with a married man almost immediately afterwards?

58 minutes ago, Phylum of Alexandria said:

I don't think hypocrisy has to do with why Ned and Jon Arryn passed the crown to Robert, or to Stannis. It's just that there was some kind of legitimacy fig leaf that they could use with Robert, given his dash of Targaryen blood. And same for Stannis: he was the legitimate heir to the throne.

What's Jon if not a dash of Targaryen blood?

They went through with the rebellion because of Aerys' abuses of power, but they tried to impose some mechanisms of stability afterward.

Word, they concreted Robert's government at Pyke, old ways still old, Robert's government is Aegon the dragons government... except Aegon was a dick, his son too. Most of em really (highlight and underline Aerys)

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss. Buuut, nah Cat, me and Robert are bff's. He's cool. Smh

Aerys had to go, 100%. Robert is not Aerys, but his son is Aerys on crack. 

"Might equals right" basically equals anarchy

Aegon the dragon disagreed. Ned was capable of making the world a better place he actually knows what is right and wrong, he's done it all before. But now, he just cant. 

Idk, maybe your right it's not hypocritical.  It's close tho lol

I don't know if Tywin is the biggest hypocrite in ASoIaF. Perhaps the most successful one. 

For me I'd have to say Robert Baratheon. The guy has no problems whoring it around but is so in love with Lyanna he has to start a war for her. He condemns the actions of the mad king but has no problem with the slaughter of Elia's children or sending assassins after the thirteen year old Dany. He claims the throne but then has zero interest in making the kingdom a better place, instead opting to satisfy his hedonism. 

51 minutes ago, Hugorfonics said:

What's Jon if not a dash of Targaryen blood?

I don't think he has any. 

Rodrik Arryn married Daella Targaryen, but they only had the one daughter who married Viserys I. 

Rhaegel Targaryen married Alys Arryn, but two of their children died childless and the last one married the Brightflame. 

I don't think there are any other marriages. So the Targs had Arryn blood but not the other way around. 

8 hours ago, Hugorfonics said:

Thou shall not kill children... not named Theon.

When does Ned ever kill child Theon??

Ned literally dooms himself trying to save Lannisters bastards of incest. Does that strike you as a man that would kill Theon??  Or do you just want to shit on him...

And kingslayer, who the fuck cares who killed Aerys?

Absolutely everyone in Westeros.

The treatment of Theon is disgusting, unfair, and in line with Edddards contemporaries

Ned, never claim to treat him otherwise.

And although Robert is a hypocrite, it's baffling that people in this age still equate sex and love.  As if they can't ever be mutually exclusive.

28 minutes ago, frenin said:

Ned literally dooms himself trying to save Lannisters bastards of incest. Does that strike you as a man that would kill Theon??  Or do you just want to shit on him...

He doesn't exactly save them, he invites stannis to the throne which means death for cersei and her children. Yes he strikes me as the sort of man who would kill theon. Don't know what shit on him means

12 minutes ago, Daenerysthegreat said:

Well the problem is that he had sex with many women while he claimed and was engaged to love a single woman lyanna

Again, Robert is a big fat hypocrite. But don't you know the difference between lust and love??

12 minutes ago, Daenerysthegreat said:

He doesn't exactly save them

That's his literal intention. To allow them to escape, instead of serving them to their vengeful and soon filled with murder thoughts step father.

Why people ignore his own literal thoughts?? 

3 hours ago, Hugorfonics said:

Why do you follow a fool like Robert?

Robert's his brother.

Why do you want to hand the realm to a tyrant like Stannis? 

Westeros is a tyranny. And it was Stannis's right.

Why are you hesitant to destroy Tywin?

He's not. He's eager actually.

He's only hesitant about destroying the Lannisters for good when it came to sacrificing their infants.

And now you don't wanna be a traitor to some archaic ass laws despite being a traitor in the past? Well too bad, Jon Snow says hi!

???? Bro just say you don't like the man.

2 hours ago, Daenerysthegreat said:

he invites stannis to the throne which means death for cersei and her children

Well, it wouldn't, because Ned gave her a warning to leave and take her children while she still could. That's.... the entire reason why he warned her, to make sure they could escape without being harmed.

Have we even read the same books....?

Archived