Biggest hypocrite in the series ?

9 minutes ago, Jaenara Belarys said:

By acknowledging that Robert's claim is through his Targaryen grandma, they are effectively saying Targaryen blood is what is needed to sit the throne (among other things, as well, such as armies).

I think the targ relation was put out there just to sweeten the deal or make it palatable to as many people as possible. If someone supported the targs, well they should support robert now. If anyone wanted Jon arryn or Ned stark to sit on the throne, well robert has a better claim.

Also, love the STAB alliance :laugh:

Just now, Apoplexy said:

I think the targ relation was put out there just to sweeten the deal or make it palatable to as many people as possible. If someone supported the targs, well they should support robert now. If anyone wanted Jon arryn or Ned stark to sit on the throne, well robert has a better claim.

Probably. 

Just now, Apoplexy said:

Also, love the STAB alliance :laugh:

The credit goes to the people at SpaceBattles for lending me a helpful abbreviation, along with BLAST. 

3 minutes ago, Apoplexy said:

I assume BLAST stands for Baratheon, Lannister, Arryn, Tully and Stark?? Acronyms for houses just seems funny.

It does, indeed. Found it while reading comments on a fanfic. They were arguing about how a returned Valyrian Freehold would look upon the members of BLAST

26 minutes ago, EggBlue said:

it's perfectly accurate! I LOVE it :)

Credits to people on SpaceBattles, I didn't make it up. But yes, it is pretty darn accurate. 

25 minutes ago, Jaenara Belarys said:

It does, indeed. Found it while reading comments on a fanfic. They were arguing about how a returned Valyrian Freehold would look upon them.

If other valyrians had the same pyromaniacal streak that the targs had, how could they not love houses that spelled BLAST??

3 hours ago, Jaenara Belarys said:

By acknowledging that Robert's claim is through his Targaryen grandma, they are effectively saying Targaryen blood is what is needed to sit the throne (among other things, as well, such as armies). 

@EggBlue, I found that on the Internet. It works, and it saves me the time of having to type out each house. 

Sure, but that matter relates to Viserys and Danaerys, not the murdered children of Rheagar. The Starks, Tullys, Arryns and Baratheons cannot be held responsible for the Lannisters brutality. 

9 hours ago, EggBlue said:

not Aegon and Rhaenys's death. but what about Viserys and Daenerys? they had the throne by the right of conquest .. there was no need to also cling on the Targaryen heritage.. if they wanted to use that , they should have held a great council to disinherit Aerys's line.

by the way @Jaenara Belarys "STAB" alliance?! that's amazing:P

Even if you win the throne by right of conquest, you still need to establish legitimacy. The Seven Kingdoms were never ruled as a whole by anyone other than Targaryens, and one simply cannot wish this fact away. It is much better politics to press a claim to the throne based on Robert's Targaryen ancestry, because then you at least have some continuity in bloodline. This is why the Lannister regime is having so much trouble; their claim to the throne is tenous even after winning it by force. The reason is that Tommen's Baratheon bona fides are seriously questioned, and no one even pretends that Tommen is linked to the Targaryens. His legitimacy is questioned, and once you start losing that, you cannot compel obedience from your opposition. 

6 hours ago, EggBlue said:

as far as smoothing the transition is concerned, holding a council (even only as a formality) would have been helpful. with styling himself as the Targaryen successor ,it was when Robert "usurped" his cousin's throne instead of "taking" or "conquering"

It wouldn't. 

Councils are created to avoid wars, it's impossible that the outcome of the war didn't taint the Council, so why bother?

6 hours ago, EggBlue said:

so wouldn't using the Targaryen line of succession

?

Archived