Most magical moments in Asoiaf

Daenerysthegreat

Shadow baby. B4 that Planetos seemed to be low fantasy world where magic seemed to be almost as common than real world. Or found in some weird stories and considered only a myth but suddenly it was possible to use magic as effective weapon. So that regicide totally chanced my idea how universe of SoIaF actually works.

7 hours ago, Daenerysthegreat said:

Can anyone help me and tell me the magical moments in asoiaf. By magical I don't mean sorcery I mean the other sort of magical. 

The only one I can think of is loras giving a red rose to sansa. 

I'm not fully sure what you mean, actually. What is the "other sort of magical?" Like, fulfilling fantasy tropes without being supernatural?

The example you picked is interesting, because in the context of the larger arc, that "magic" Sansa experiences with Loras turns out to be an illusion. House Tyrell does seem to be well versed in natural forms of glamors.

2 hours ago, Willam Stark said:

- Viserys III being crowned by Drogo

- Jaime losing is right hand

- Joffrey's death

- Tywin's death

- Cersei's walk of shame

That's not magical that's horrific and gory. 

33 minutes ago, Phylum of Alexandria said:

I'm not fully sure what you mean, actually. What is the "other sort of magical?" Like, fulfilling fantasy tropes without being supernatural?

The example you picked is interesting, because in the context of the larger arc, that "magic" Sansa experiences with Loras turns out to be an illusion. House Tyrell does seem to be well versed in natural forms of glamors.

I'll give some more examples from real life this time

1) A persons wedding day. 

2) An amazing birthday

3) Kissing the love of your life 

That's sort of magical

5 minutes ago, Daenerysthegreat said:

41 minutes ago, Phylum of Alexandria said:

Joffrey and Tywin's deaths were indeed glorious and magical. 

2 hours ago, Willam Stark said:

Is it that obvious?

And you don't like Targaryen's wholesome, brotherly love, marriages. 

I think the "myhsa" moment at Yunkai should count as one. 

6 minutes ago, Daenerysthegreat said:

That's sort of magical

Oh ok. Then, Jaime escaping from Riverrun: After so long in darkness, the world was so sweet that Jaime Lannister felt dizzy. I am alive, and drunk on sunlight. A laugh burst from his lips, sudden as a quail flushed from cover.

Fighting Brienne was possibly even better.

2 minutes ago, Daenerysthegreat said:

I'll give some more examples from real life this time

1) A persons wedding day. 

2) An amazing birthday

3) Kissing the love of your life 

That's sort of magical

I see. For me, the actions that stand out as somewhat magical are the rare moments of tenderness and real heroism. These shine like candles in an otherwise unrelentingly bleak series!

So here's a short list of some magical moments:

1) Sansa reaching out and touching Sandor

2) Lady Smallwood dressing Arya

3) Jon and Tyrion departing as friends

4) "What is the life of one bastard boy against a kingdom?" "Everything."

5) "She had no chance against seven, she knew. No chance, and no choice."

How about Arya being let out the the HoBW?   "Ser Gregor," she chanted, as she crossed a stone bridge supported by four arches. From the center of its span she could see the masts of ships in the Ragman's Harbor. "Dunsen, Raff the Sweetling, Ser Ilyn, Ser Meryn, Queen Cersei." Rain began to fall. Arya turned her face up to let the raindrops wash her cheeks, so happy she could dance. "Valar morghulis," she said, "valar morghulis, valar morghulis."

18 minutes ago, Springwatch said:

How about Arya being let out the the HoBW?   "Ser Gregor," she chanted, as she crossed a stone bridge supported by four arches. From the center of its span she could see the masts of ships in the Ragman's Harbor. "Dunsen, Raff the Sweetling, Ser Ilyn, Ser Meryn, Queen Cersei." Rain began to fall. Arya turned her face up to let the raindrops wash her cheeks, so happy she could dance. "Valar morghulis," she said, "valar morghulis, valar morghulis."

Oh yeah, there are quite a lot of beautiful scenes like this peppered throughout. Seemingly smalls moments that pack quite a punch.

There's very little room in the books for magical birthday moments really, you've got to take what you can get.

Also, most of the characters are too hardened and cynical to feel the magic - Tyrion shares a few joyful, amazing moments with his sister Cersei, but immediately reverts to suspicion and plotting, and who can say he's wrong?

Penny could feel the magic, but has no luck so far. Brienne. Sansa, always, but she's had the rug pulled out under her so often, I think she'll forget how.

Here are my top 11 magical ASOIAF moments, in no particular order. (Why top 11? Because I like to go one step beyond.)

1) Sansa building the snow castle Winterfell.

2) Dany's friendship and love for Misandei.

3) Davos reading the Nights Watch letter to Stannis.

4) Sam playing kingmaker at the Nights Watch election.

5) Sam and Gilly.

6) Jon and Ygritte.

7) Jon and Val.

8) Arya reuniting with Harwin.

9) Brienne taking in Pod.

10) Jon saying "go fetch a block."

11) Tywin shitting his guts out after Tyrion shoots him in the crotch.

Archived