Wheel of Time TV Show 7: And There Shall Be Wailing and Gnashing of Teeth

IFR

8 minutes ago, fionwe1987 said:

Controversial take:

RJ wrote Eye of the World as an LotR-ish story to ease in readers to his world. In 2021, that easing in is absolutely unnecessary.

Could the writers have made a better story by either off-screening a substantial portion of the book? It would definitely be a controversial call, and I don't even know if I have a good sense of the shape of how they'd do this, except as a kind of "recap" that leans into the fact that the beginning of this story is like many tales? 

Maybe start with Rand telling the tale to Loial, Egwene and Perrin to Elyas, and take it from there, or something. I'm sure there's a million problems with this, and fans would have absolutely howled in outrage, but in 2021, starting in media res when what came before is a story with very familiar beats, kiiinda makes sense. 

It seems to me that they needed to slow down, not speed up. You have this village set and this cool scenery... You're allowed to, like, have characters talk to each other in those locations. That's a good, cheap, alternative to an 88 minute war scene that makes Platoon look like a Pixar film.

I kept laughing during the Bel Tine massacre because it felt like the most intense moments (moments, as in seconds or a few minutes!) of Black Hawk Down, but stretched over an hour of shitty shaky cam and incoherent geography.

Seriously, that was like Helms Deep+Minas Tirith+Moria×Battle of Blackwater. No wonder they didn't have the budget for more sense of, y'know, characters and plot. Just terrible.

After their deliberate effort to progressive-up the source material they invented a woman 'character' who -i believe- did not speak and had no name just so that she could die for a man's emotional development. :shocked:

3 minutes ago, Babblebauble said:

r' who -i believe- did not speak and had no name

I thought she had just one line, but apparently she had three: "I know", "Perrin!", "This way!"

And her name was Laila/Layla.

6 minutes ago, Babblebauble said:

It seems to me that they needed to slow down, not speed up. You have this village set and this cool scenery... You're allowed to, like, have characters talk to each other in those locations. That's a good, cheap, alternative to an 88 minute war scene that makes Platoon look like a Pixar film.

I kept laughing during the Bel Tine massacre because it felt like the most intense moments (moments, as in seconds or a few minutes!) of Black Hawk Down, but stretched over an hour of shitty shaky cam and incoherent geography.

Seriously, that was like Helms Deep+Minas Tirith+Moria×Battle of Blackwater. No wonder they didn't have the budget for more sense of, y'know, characters and plot. Just terrible.

Ideally, yes, they'd dwell on the Two Rivers for a while. But given that they have only 8 episodes (and this seems to have come down from Amazon), then perhaps just not showing the early part is one way to solve the lack of time. I don't think this rushed, choppy story is working well so I'm wondering if they could have cut it out from being onscreen entirely. 

6 minutes ago, Babblebauble said:

After their deliberate effort to progressive-up the source material they invented a woman 'character' who -i believe- did not speak and had no name just so that she could die for a man's emotional development. :shocked:

Yes, this is really really bizarre. Why did it have to be a wife? Why not family, or heck, Master Luhhan? I'm all for the accidental killing being a good way to show Perrin's mistrust of violence, as a visual way of dealing with his internal fear of hurting someone. But a thinly drawn wife to fridge was an absurd and cheap way to do this, and given that we don't see Perrin process this all that much, it's even more egregious. The worst decision they made, by a mile. 

13 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

Watched all 3 episodes and the animated mini-episodes, too. I continue to have mixed feelings. Every time the show threatened to be really good, something clunky or awkward pulled it back. I did my best to separate the show from the book, so some of the problems I have are not with the massive changes but with how some things were presented.

Long post so I'll just put everything in spoilers

Reveal hidden contents

The story has a rushed clunkiness to it, fortunately interrupted by solid character moments, and occasional good lore exposition. Shadar Logoth was a great set, only for the characters to spend all of five minutes there. At least there was a quick explanation about what the place is.

The first of the animated mini-episodes starts with one of the book epitaphs, the one about the Dragon breaking the world. They should have used it for its introduction, instead of Moiraine’s narration with weird editing. It immediately made think of a low budget show like BBC’s Merlin. Each episode, in fact, had an awkward cold open. Though I only say the Nynaeve vs. the Trolloc was awkward because I felt she shouldn’t have been away from the group for so long and be pretty much cut out of episode 2. The Whitecloak one was the most awkward of all, as we still don’t know how they managed to subdue an Aes Sedai, but apparently Aes Sedai require their hands to channel, hence why we see the cut off hands. Valda was extremely hateful but a bit of a caricature psychopathic villain. It made me hope he is a Darkfriend. For all that WoT is full of questionable characters, the Dark One is at least quite thorough in recruiting all the psychopaths.

The part with Nynaeve surprising Lan was the show’s LOTR inspiration (from the movie, not the book). I knew it was coming and fully expected Lan to find a sword at his neck, with Nynaeve saying “What’s this, a Ranger Warder caught off his guard?”

If you’re going to turn Bel Tine into a party, why isn’t Rand there? They had to separate them to follow the books, but the execution doesn’t quite make sense.

I’m not sure why they had to make such a big, life risking situation about Egwene’s ceremony. They decided they needed to setup the visual feel of channeling saidar, but at the expense of other lore that needed to be setup. Sure, I expected Two Rivers society to be changed, as a lot of people may find it too prudish, but it’s one thing for Rand and Egwene to have sex in the inn, another for life risking ceremonies just to braid one’s hair.

Darkfriends being a thing comes out of the left field with Danya. Don’t get me wrong, it was a great scene in terms of tension and atmosphere, and as a book reader I could see the signs before it happened. And Danya’s justifications felt real. It may even be the scene where the show has managed to find its footing. Buuut, why not set up that this was a possibility, and if this is a possibility why isn’t Moiraine more secretive about her mission? Out in the open she tells the youngsters one of them may be the DR. Shhhh! And we get the weird pattern of dead animals with no explanation, because this show tries to compete with GoT. I know it was the Dragon’s Fang. But you know what would have been great, actually talking about the Dragon’s Fang. :bang:

The show decided not to give any time to the aftermath of the Trolloc attack. Ffs, they decided to change Perrin’s background, and all he has time for is to dump his wife’s body next to others. And wow, that is some way to show that Perrin has a tendency to lose control in battle. I mean, damn! And no one has cared to ask Rand why he has a sword, nor Rand to wonder why his dad had it.

They really should have cast Elyas. That scene with the wolf licking Perrin’s leg was weird as fuck, and Aram having to recite the Tuatha’an traditional greeting was awkward. With how many actors they’ve cast (and reducing Thom Merrilin’s time in the story) they could have cast Elyas.

I thought the scene with the mad man and Liandrin was great. That is a good example of setting up how madness takes hold of a man who can channel. But then we get to see Logain captured at the end of episode 3. Hmm, so Liandrin gentles a man she captures on the spot (non-readers may believe she killed him) but Logain is not treated the same way? Why, because he called himself the DR. Well maybe they’ll explain later, but this is one such moment that could have been setup in one of the episodes, maybe in first episode when they mentioned the war in Ghealdan – that there may those who are False Dragons.

Well, I suppose if we want to compare this show to GoT, it successfully imitates it in giving fuck all about traveling time. And they have a map that updates on their website. I mean how did Perrin and Egwene survive all that time? And Mat and Rand going through mountains, not on a travelled road with villages to stop and rest. Breen’s Spring looks to be very close to Caemlyn. And it seems that Lan decided to take Moiraine all the way to the Wall of Ghealdan. I mean, she should be dead by now. Didn’t she get hit with a poisoned Trolloc blade like Tam?

The visuals are also a mixed bag: the Trollocs look great when it’s guys in suits, but bad when they’re fully CGI. Their movement is terrible. There are great sweeping shots, and some truly beautiful shots, like when Nynaeve is picking up plants to make a poultice, and then there is the shot when she runs from the Trolloc with clearly fake background around her. The Fade looks good, but we haven’t seen more than what was in the trailer. I thought the channeling looked great. The weaves going around Moraine, forming patterns and creating effects, and her taking down the Trollocs with all kinds of cool shit was awesome. But her hand dance is the weird part which mars it a bit. I also liked Lan’s movements slicing up Trollocs. Tam’s fight with the Trolloc was solid, too.

I liked the songs. The song about Manetheren and Moiraine’s story was probably the best moment in episode 2. And I thought Thom’s song about Lew Therin was great, too. I could already foresee covers on youtube, perhaps to rival Toss a Coin to Your Witcher. (OK, maybe not that one) :laugh:

The best part is the characters. For all this talk I hear about a show that focuses too much on action, it is the character interactions that shine. All major characters got their due. Perrin’s background may not totally work, but we still got to see him struggle with what happened. Rand had plenty of good dialogue with all the other characters. Egwene and Nynaeve were great. But I think Mat was the best one. While I still hate what they did with the parents, his care for his little sisters really gave Mat a whole new dimension. He is still someone who wants to be carefree and enjoy life, but he’s a good guy at heart.

Another solid point is how some of the lore was introduced. The plot pacing isn’t that great, but the writers found good ways to introduce the lore. (well, except for intro scene) Again, the stuff about Manetheren was at the right time, and hell it might even beat the book there. Moiraine being compelled to speak about the Three Oaths after the ferry scene is another good example. I suppose the scene with the Whitecloaks served this purpose, too. And we got dreams, too, with Ba’alzamon. Yay for that! Bats instead of rats, because we live in the time of Covid, and anyway, they were in the woods, so it worked.

I liked the title sequence. I had always imagined something with the Pattern, and it's a beautiful sequence. The song for it is fine, too. Not sure why it has to focus only on Aes Sedai, though.

So, OK, I’ll keep watching. Like other have said, the show has promise. The animated episodes are interesting, but the narration volume is too low and for some reason it doesn’t come with subtitles. Fix your shit, Amazon!

I think this is a pretty solid take. One of my main issues were Perrin's new introduction and the butterfly effect that has on his character, expanding to the different way they introduce the wolves. I get it that them meeting Elyas by semi-random chance in the wilderness was convenient-random AF in the books, but the total absence of any context for the wolf thing makes it a bit random (and expands on the omnipresent "but that's just like GoT!" threat). That said, not including Mordeth I think was an improvement because Mordeth effectively does nothing major in the books, and you can tell that story another way (as they did).

There's also a recurring issue that they decided not to talk about/introduce book concepts to slow down the show-only narrative, which is fair enough, but they have those elements present anyway. It feels like they should either introduce the element properly or delay its introduction until the story can service it. The exceptions are things like the dagger, which given the relative lack of time spent on it, should work well later on when they reveal the extent of Mat's corruption.

One thing I did think worked extremely well was the encounter with the Darkfriend in Breen's Spring, setting her up as an interesting character and ally and giving her chance to expand on her philosophy before inevitably dispatching her (showing that Thom is a ruthless SOB who shouldn't be trifled with as well).

There was one interesting bit I don't think I've seen anyone else catch onto: she suggests that Ishamael was a Dragon corrupted to the Shadow, something of a shift in the backstory. Oh, and a subtle moment where she says there's no way that anyone could knock down the door and then Rand knocks down the door, and she's genuinely absolutely shocked by the feat.

I'm not sure the maps are accurate to the action in the story. In the episode it looks like Mat and Rand follow the river to Breen's Spring, which is located on or near the river (presumably the Arinelle). Thom later says they should take a boat from the town as their means of departure, and they apparently haven't reached or passed Whitebridge. All of that makes it sound like Breen's Spring has been moved way to the west, on the Arinelle north of Whitebridge, which tracks with everything else. I did get the sense going into this, and from some discussions going back a while, that they decided that they're following the geography roughly and are not going to get too distracted by it (same deal as GoT). Shrinking the continent in size by around 50% wouldn't necessarily be a bad idea, either.

2 minutes ago, Werthead said:

There was one interesting bit I don't think I've seen anyone else catch onto: she suggests that Ishamael was a Dragon corrupted to the Shadow, something of a shift in the backstory. Oh, and a subtle moment where she says there's no way that anyone could knock down the door and then Rand knocks down the door, and she's genuinely absolutely shocked by the feat.

Actually I'm pretty sure she says Ishamael took the last Dragon to the Dark One (or to the darkness) so I think it's implied that Ishamael tricked Lews Therin into doing what he did. And she was equating herself to Ishamael that she would have rewards heaped on her for taking the new Dragon to the DO. But the part about Ishamael is just a Darkfriend story that likely got passed down and it's certainly unreliable.

5 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I'm not sure the maps are accurate to the action in the story. In the episode it looks like Mat and Rand follow the river to Breen's Spring, which is located on or near the river (presumably the Arinelle). Thom later says they should take a boat from the town as their means of departure, and they apparently haven't reached or passed Whitebridge. All of that makes it sound like Breen's Spring has been moved way to the west, on the Arinelle north of Whitebridge, which tracks with everything else. I did get the sense going into this, and from some discussions going back a while, that they decided that they're following the geography roughly and are not going to get too distracted by it (same deal as GoT). Shrinking the continent in size by around 50% wouldn't necessarily be a bad idea, either.

Well Nynaeve mentions that the old Wisdom walked to the White Tower and it took her months. So I don't know. I guess we'll see.

12 minutes ago, fionwe1987 said:

Did she suggest he was a corrupted Dragon? I thought she says he's the last person to deliver the Dragon to the Dark One, and was thus exalted, and she wanted to follow in his footsteps and be the next one to succeed. 

Yeah, that's how I read it as well.

3 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Okay now I'm curious, got a link or anything?

Ha, well it's hearsay from a guy named Shawn Speakman who knows Terry Brooks and runs his social media. Here is a link to a reddit post I found where he details it: 

I'll post his response though in case it's hard to find:

"If Terry saw what you guys have been saying, he'd rage against you like you can't believe. As a matter of fact, here's an opening two paragraphs of a blog post that I STOPPED him from posting a week ago when I showed him multiple instances of how mean some of the fans have been on his FB page:

"I have to say I am getting a little irritated at the lack of patience and understanding so many of you are showing. So many negative comments. So many complaints about how Chronicles has changed the book when I have repeatedly explained why those changes were necessary and welcome, at least by me.

Here is what I am going to do. I am going to write it all down one more time and then I am done with it until after March. I keep saying how happy I am with the end result of Chronicles, but that doesn't seem to be making a difference. It should. This is my book, and no one stands to lose more face than me if the TV show flops. So I do not offer my support and express my satisfaction with the end result lightly. I do so because - hey, listen up now - it is the truth."

The rest of the blog is ANGRIER. I stopped him from posting it because he almost seemed to be condemning everyone rather than the vocal minority. We are working on a blog post now that addresses people's direct issues, rather than painting a broad brush.

When I showed him people were calling him a "sell out," he turned red in the face. That doesn't happen very often, believe you me. He asked me to ban those people. And I've done it because no one -- especially an author who worked his ass off on the show -- deserves to have his integrity questioned.

And by the way, this isn't about criticisms. If you notice, there are numerous people here posting and on his website that have criticisms. Do I confront them? Nope because they are doing it in a way that still adds a level of respect to Terry. The people who get banned -- like Aijahlon -- are the ones who step over the line and get personal toward Terry."

Another annoying quibble was the pronunciation of various geographical names.  ISTR they pronounced the name of Aemon's realm "Manethrin", whereas I have read it as "Man-eh-THER-en".  Similarly Shader Logoth, Aridhol and Ghealdan all seemed to be spoken by the characters sightly differently.  But this is a minor point.

I gradually got more sucked in by second and third episodes, which were better than first.  I guess Moiraine didn't have much acting to do in the third except lie there, so little chance for any more One Power antics.  Thought it highly amusing that it was Moiraine that ended up destroying the Winespring Inn at the end of Ep 1, rather than have it be Trollocs that torched specific buildings in Emond's Field.

Were the dreambats the TV equivalent of Draghkar?

Despite seeing Moiraine wrap up a couple of angreal/sa'angreal at the start of the story, didn't see her use them or explain them.  

Looking forward to Ep 4, with Moiraine interacting with the other AS they have just met.

While I liked the Breen's Spring part of the third episode well enough -- this is a very different Thom, but Alexandre Wilaum has a certain gravely charisma that makes him feel like he's stepped out of a Western -- I did think they wasted a lot of time with Perrin and Egwene. Let us see them at the start of the episode, then at the end meeting the Tinkers, and let some of the heart-to-heart happen in the fourth episode while giving more space for Mat, Rand, Nynaeve, Lan, and Moiraine, IMO.

Like have Moiraine actually talk with Nynaeve after she wakes up some, rather than just... yeah, lying comatose.

Also, what was that with the Tinkers threateningly asking for the Song? They’re pacifists. They’d have been wiped out hundreds of years ago if they confronted strangers like that. It was needless tension that could, instead, have been used on expanding on who the hell the Tinkers are, since next week, I doubt we’ll get much time with them.

Also, I just realized why they may have axed Elyas. Having both groups fortuitously meet a grizzly old man who helps them wouldn’t have worked. But what they came up with instead didn’t work, either. 

Yeah, I didn't read the Tinkers as asking "threateningly", per se, but they definitely looked like they were baked, if you know what I mean. But certainly the way it was all shot, with them just staring at them, was weird.

I am pretty sure Elyas has been axed, at least for this season. There's been no hint of a casting, IIRC. I suspect they will dispense with it entirely and just have him learn how to be a wolfbrother.

@Arataniello

"mahn-EHTH-ehr-ehn" is apparently the canonical way to pronounce it.

Rewatching the three episodes now and yikes, the music really suffers when it's not being pumped through an IMAX speaker the size of your house. It's good the music is low enough so you can understand WTF people are actually saying (a perennial problem of modern TV/film, most noticeably recently in Dune), but the music in WoT is offbeat and unusual enough that it adds a lot of atmosphere to the travelling scenes, and in the normal mix it's so low you can barely hear it.

On this second run-through, I think the third episode emerges as the strongest of the three by far. The Dana friend-to-enemy thing, showing the Darkfriends as real fanatics who believe they are right, and a different but interesting take on Thom really sell it.

I thought it odd that Egwene and Perrin hadn't heard of the Tinkers before, but then realised it's so we can get a lengthy, "Ah! Let me show you this leaflet about the Way of the Leaf!" spiel next week, to the benefit of non-book-reading viewers.

Rewatching Episode 2 I realised how nicely they contrasted Bornhald with Valda, though Bornhald did seem a bit too relaxed about Aes Sedai compared to in the book. I wonder if he's being set up as a Child who's less interested in the Aes Sedai (maybe even sees them as useful if misguided) then he is in really fighting the Shadow, which makes his later death a bigger problem as it leaves the hardliners in charge. Interesting he and his soldiers took off for the Two Rivers immediately, which makes me wonder if we're going back to that story sooner rather than later, whilst Valda took off eastwards (which makes me think it'll be Valda and his Questioners who capture Egwene and Perrin later on, not Bornhald).

Looking through IMDB, which was updated last week by what appear to insiders (probably from Amazon). Interesting info can be gleaned there:

Spoiler
  • Despite numerous reports that Johann Myers was only cast for one episode, he is now listed appearing in three episodes as Padan Fain: 101, 107 and 108. That strongly suggests his Fal Dara arc is in.
  • Abdul Salis is indeed in two episodes, 102 and 105, which is the Perrin-and-Egwene-as-prisoners episode. Stuart Graham as Geofram Bornhald is only in 102.
  • Thom Merrilin is only in 103 and 104, backing up early leaks.
  • Michael McElhatton has two credits, 101 and 107. 107 is also the episode Tigraine Mantear appears in. On that basis, 107 is the Blood Snow flashback episode. Amazon's plot synopses suggest that Rand will discovery he is the Dragon Reborn in 106, which is surprisingly early and makes the obfuscation about his identity even weirder, as it's only a three-week mystery.
  • The Shienar characters are all in 107 and 108, whilst the Tar Valon characters are only in 106.
  • Lews Therin Telamon and Latra Posae Decume both only appear in 108, suggesting that the events of 108 trigger a memory or flashback to the Age of Legends at that juncture.
  • A character called "Small Girl on Western Shore" appears in 108 early. That makes me think that 108 will end with the Seanchan ships appearing out of the Aryth Ocean whilst some kid on Toman Head watches.

ETA: We now have the full Season 1 title list:

1. Leavetakings
  2. Shadow Waiting
  3. A Place of Safety
  4. The Dragon Reborn
  5. Blood Calls Blood
  6. The Flame of Tar Valon
  7. The Dark Along the Ways
  8. The Eye of the World

I guess that I am easily amused, because I mostly liked the episodes. Yes, there were some unnecessary clunkers, but on the whole I found that the show kept my attention quite well.

I am a fan of WoT, but there were always a lot of aspects of it that I saw as flawed, and I am not wholly satisfied by how it ended, so it was never a holy cow to me. Which is why I am open to changes.

For instance, I can understand the need to establish from the start that Egwene and Nynaeve are as important as the boys, which is the whole reason for women being considered for the DR in the show. How many times did significant parts of fandom claim that the superboys were the main characters because they were ta'veren and always right because ditto and how dare the foolish supergirls, who were "only side-characters", disagree with them/take so much narrative space, etc. Now, of course Rand is _the_ most important character, but Egwene and Nynaeve ended up as at least as important as Mat and Perrin, but because they weren't introduced from the beginning as ta'veren, etc. this never was  wholly accepted among the readers. The show tries to fix this - and frankly, despite Egwene's undeniable tenacity and ambition, her meteoric rise would have looked more plausible if she had been a ta'veren as well. Not to mention that it would have avoided the unfortunate perception that only men can be ta'veren. 

I also understand the reasons for giving the superboys more distinctive backgrounds and I like Mat's - honestly I find this Mat much more sympathetic than the book one. But was Perrin's wife and her fridging really necessary? Wouldn't Perrin accidentally killing a random fellow villager during the fighting have worked just as well? For that matter, couldn't they have sent 2 Trollocs after al'Thor's and had Tam dispatch one of them before getting wounded? IMHO generally the first episode should have been 5-10 minutes longer than it was, to allow for more character interactions.

And mightn't they have just vaguely mentioned the prophecies  to explain why Moiraine decided to search the Two Rivers and given her Siuan's Talent for seeing ta'veren? I mean, she does spend a lot of time before the attack just staring at the 4 kids, so maybe they did?

Anyway, everything else I am prepared to take in a stride, really. I wonder how Perrin and Egwene will escape the Whitecloaks in this version, since from the Egwene/Nynaeve clip it doesn't look like they will be rescued the same way they were  the books.

BTW, has it been  confirmed by RJ/Sanderson that it was common for male channelers to remember fragments of their former lives due to the taint madness? It would explain how some of them were so effective at channeling despite being completely self-taught, in comparison to the female wilders. I like that the show ran with this idea, anyway.

Watched the three episodes. I'm not hugely familiar with the series, though I am aware of it. My opinion is that it's fairly... meh so far. 

None of the characters really resonate with me or feel particularly identifiable. I feel like more time should have been spent getting to know them and the show, oddly, wanted to rush through those core steps. Not helped that some of the performances feel rather wooden.

The presentation is rather... flat. Many scenes often don't feel particularly interestingly shot, with many being a barrage of close ups rather than something more visually interesting. The sets and costumes, and often lighting too, feel too pristine... too clean and lend the world an artificial look rather than an actual lived-in place. Some of the choices also feel like they veer a bit too close to other works: the corpse-sheep symbol feels directly taken from GOT, that ferry scene feels a mite too close to Jackson's FOTR scene, and that guy looks a bit like Voldemort with lots of teeth. 

The trollocs are... odd. I don't really care for the design and the blend of practical/CGI isn't working for me. The consistency of the quality of those effects is also up-and-down. I felt episode three was a bit stronger than the first two, so maybe it'll improve as it goes. But I don't know. The score is kinda interesting, a bit different from the usual fare. 

I also understand the reasons for giving the superboys more distinctive backgrounds and I like Mat's - honestly I find this Mat much more sympathetic than the book one. But was Perrin's wife and her fridging really necessary? Wouldn't Perrin accidentally killing a random fellow villager during the fighting have worked just as well?

I liked the suggestion that Perrin kill Luhhan instead of his wife (at least, if they're resolved to taking this approach). It's not the fridging trope and it's enough to make Perrin feel traumatised and in mourning but not as much as killing his wife, which is a much heavier load. Luhhan also doesn't really do much later on.

I do think this will come back in the Whitecloak episode though, as Perrin could admit to killing her and that helps them convict him, and he kind of doesn't want to live so accepts that, but then realises he has to help save Egwene.

I know nothing about the books (other then, I guess, Rand is the real Dragon Reborn?). I imagine that aided in my enjoyment of it as an above-average big TV fantasy. Step below The Witcher but well above the usual Shannara / Legend of the Seeker garbage.

Impressed most with how much I enjoyed the actors -- Rand and Mat especially -- in somewhat unforgiving roles. Mat and Tom (Thom?) were a highlight of the third episode, while I scanned a bit through the wanderings of Egwene and Perrin.

Also, the scenery is mind-blowingly amazing...all NZ?

Question: if the Dark One is this mythical shadowy figure just now coming to power, how is it that there is already a full-blown cult in place in shit-stain little towns, with Darkfriend adherents ready to capture people and take them...to where, their local Dark One bureau? Is there something else going on behind the scenes?

Archived