Covid-19 #41: Collateral Damage

Fragile Bird

The discussions about the impact of Covid-19 on health systems and cancelled treatments in the last thread will continue for the next year or two. I haven’t looked at the estimates lately, but here in my province I think they’re saying it will take at least 18 months to catch up.

If it wasn't so sad, it would be funny, kind of, how the people who, prior to vaccines, advocated letting elders, co-morbidity types, etc., just get sick, and maybe, probably, die, for the sake of the economy and the young and PARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRTEEEE -- o, uh, ya, FREEEEEEEEEDUMB!

So They insisted there should be no masking and no quarantine, no lock downs, no distancing. 

So, now we have vaccines.

These same people are infuriated at the idea of the determinedly non-vaccinated, who do become ill and do infect others, be treated with all the duest of due deference, sympathy, and the best of health care, to the point of keeping other sick people, such as cancer patients, from receiving any health care.  Also to be allowed everywhere and infect anyone, coz, I suppose, anyone infected is just elderly and gonna die anyway.  

Right back where where we started from with the same people.

We should thank them for their dependable consistency in actively harming others, while demanding the best of care for their exceptional selves!

Edited by Zorral

23 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

The discussions about the impact of Covid-19 on health systems and cancelled treatments in the last thread will continue for the next year or two. I haven’t looked at the estimates lately, but here in my province I think they’re saying it will take at least 18 months to catch up.

Meh was about to start a corona thread with the title.

The tyranny of the unvaxxed...

16 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Meh was about to start a corona thread with the title.

The tyranny of the unvaxxed...

It's worth flipping perspective to appreciate the dangerous anti-social behavior of the unwilling antivaxxers and the vaxxed folk that support their misguided, ahistorical, unscientific, and socially corrosive beliefs.

We've already seen estimates about avoidable deaths since widespread vaccine availability* and I expect that we'll start to see estimates of economic loss due to slower recoveries in lower vaccinated areas.

*In rich countries

3 hours ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

I just scheduled my Moderna booster - funnily enough, it was backed up at my pharmacy of choice and I'm scheduled for the 20th. Its been 6+ months since the 2nd dose, how time flies.

Do you think the back up is due to kids and teens getting their vaccinations?  That would be terrific, all these additional vaccinations.

Just now, IheartIheartTesla said:

I'm not entirely sure, to be honest. It may have more to do with supply rather than demand; but I havent really been keeping track of how the boosters are formulated and if they are so very different from dose 1/2.

Around here both flu and booster appointments are kind of hard to get because so many kids and teens are getting vaccinated.

1 hour ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

I'm not entirely sure, to be honest. It may have more to do with supply rather than demand; but I havent really been keeping track of how the boosters are formulated and if they are so very different from dose 1/2.

The Moderna booster is a half dose.  I'm not sure does that mean they have to use different vials.  If so, that might delay supply.

But it isn't approved for those Under 18 yet, so teenage use isnt affecting it.

So it will be good news for many that a recent study led by the US-based National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) has found giving the Oxford AstraZeneca vaccine as a nasal spray reduced viral shedding in animal models. The study initially looked at hamsters, separating them into two groups: one was given the COVID-19 vaccine as an intramuscular injection, the other as a nasal spray. Both routes of administration produced high antibody levels, but the nasal spray outperformed the injection.

I think it is neat that they are testing a nasal spray.  A long way from production but it would be helpful.

https://www.aljazeera.com/features/2021/11/9/valneva-covid-19-vaccine-why-it-might-be-a-game-changer

And in Vienna they have started giving Pfizer to under 12s.  Before EMA approval.  Obviously, very worried there.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/05/world/europe/vienna-vaccinate-young-children.html

15 minutes ago, Zorral said:

It is much more difficult to find places for the Moderna booster -- at least where I live.  I've been looklng, to make an appointment.

This is true. I'm booked for next Friday for a Moderna booster and I made that appointment a week or two ago. I mean, I was also looking for a Friday afternoon/evening so I wouldn't have to deal with any potential day-after effects on a teaching day, so I definitely complicated things, but there were many more slots available for the Pfizer booster. 

If a country has a UHC system then it would be wrong to make anyone pay for anything that they weren't required to pay for before the pandemic. Universal means everyone and on a no fault basis. If there is going to be a carrot and stick approach to trying to get more people vaxed then the stick needs to hit people's discretionary activities that people want to do but do not need to do. Like go to concerts, movie theatres etc. We have vaccine mandates in some employment sectors, but I think that could be changed to something more like the US model of vaccinate or testing every 3 days (3 days is approx the incubation period for Delta, I believe).

1 hour ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Well said.

https://kareem.substack.com/p/aaron-rodgers-didnt-just-lie

Rodgers’ ignorance regarding the science of immunology brings back to life the old stereotype of the big dumb jock. His utter lack of even the most basic knowledge and logic is shocking. 

Why would this be shocking? Athletes are not inherently better educated or informed than the gen pop when it comes to science and medicine. And it's unlikely athletes have better than average basic intelligence or critical thinking skills. So really his lack of knowledge or understanding is not shocking at all. Indeed one might come to a different conclusion that he knew and understood enough to know what to do to lie his way around the system for long enough to endanger others.

27 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Why would this be shocking? Athletes are not inherently better educated or informed than the gen pop when it comes to science and medicine. And it's unlikely athletes have better than average basic intelligence or critical thinking skills. So really his lack of knowledge or understanding is not shocking at all. Indeed one might come to a different conclusion that he knew and understood enough to know what to do to lie his way around the system for long enough to endanger others.

Well, in principal they should all have some college education. But yeah, I agree.

His celebrity gives him an outsized platform. I used to live in Wisconsin, so believe me it does. Aside from his stupidity and gullibility, he lied about being vaccinated. Maybe not a juicy as Tiger Woods sex scandal, but certainly more consequential. Will there be consequences? We'll see.  On balance, I would think potential sponsors would view him as damaged goods. I haven't followed the story closely enough to know what the league is doing about it. 

42 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Certainly doesn't say much for the UC Berkeley program (though I guess he was only there for 2 years).

Since C's get degrees, and some degrees are not difficult to get having a college degree is no guarantee of anything. I only have fictional movies and TV shows to go on, but in many of those there also appears to be a lot of assistance given to ensuring the best athletes continue to meet minimum academic criteria for keeping their scholarship, which in some cases might even further diminish the true educational achievement of said athletes.

1 hour ago, The Anti-Targ said:

...And it's unlikely athletes have better than average basic intelligence or critical thinking skills...

This understatement made me laugh pretty hard.  Bus/train/plane rides to and from games easily reduced my IQ by ten points over the years.

3 hours ago, Mr. X said:

This is true. I'm booked for next Friday for a Moderna booster and I made that appointment a week or two ago. I mean, I was also looking for a Friday afternoon/evening so I wouldn't have to deal with any potential day-after effects on a teaching day, so I definitely complicated things, but there were many more slots available for the Pfizer booster. 

3 hours ago, Zorral said:

It is much more difficult to find places for the Moderna booster -- at least where I live.  I've been looklng, to make an appointment.

Lenox Hill/Northwell has plenty of appointments for Moderna, at least as of an hour ago when I made my appointment (for next Thursday - could have been as soon as this Thursday, but it didn’t work for my schedule).  @Zorral there appeared to be a lot of appointments downtown.