who would have made the best ruler?

EggBlue

the Dance of the Dragons  refers to the conflicts between Rhaenera and Aegon II to take the throne. yet, they both suck at ruling... at least that's what I think. the dance was a situation  in which any of the two factions' heirs (children , siblings and the rest) might had ended up on the IT.

so consider every Targaryen prince(ess) in the Dance...who do you think would have made the best ruler? 

my own choice is Jace . he was good at negotiating , leadership and he was bold . it was an unfortunate he died so soon . 

4 minutes ago, Moiraine Sedai said:

Jace would have needed a strong mentor. Say, like Daemon. 

The Dance traumatized both sides of the family. Had it not happened, there were many capable people who could learn to rule. 

Daemon was an excellent warrior and a good general but I don't think that he would have been a great choice for a peacetime advisor, he clearly wasn't made for politics.

Tyland Lannister who became Aegon III's hand and proved to be very capable at it would most certainely have been a great mentor to Jace.

1 hour ago, Moiraine Sedai said:

He was able to function well without a mentor (Vale, North, White Harbor), and Daemon's a soldier not a politician. 

Probably, he'd only need a regent: Tyland (like what @Terrorthatflapsinthenight9 said) or, heck, maybe even Cregan. Would've been amusing. I feel like Johanna Lannister would've been a good regent as well, but unlikely for this world and period. 

mentor would have been helpful. but not Daemon in my view. he was no politician. from the blacks Corlys and Rhaenys made great mentors and from the greens Tyland Lannister.

The Dance traumatized both sides of the family. Had it not happened, there were many capable people who could learn to rule. 

it sure did. but let's put children like little twins and Viserys aside . who of the Greens had potential?

not Aemond definitely. Daeron?  he seemed a good kid in general but he proved his lack of leadership talents during the horrors of Tumbleton though he was the same age as Jace. and Heleana did seem to just flow in any direction they lead her. 

16 minutes ago, EggBlue said:

mentor would have been helpful. but not Daemon in my view. he was no politician. from the blacks Corlys and Rhaenys made great mentors and from the greens Tyland Lannister.

it sure did. but let's put children like little twins and Viserys aside . who of the Greens had potential?

not Aemond definitely. Daeron?  he seemed a good kid in general but he proved his lack of leadership talents during the horrors of Tumbleton though he was the same age as Jace. and Heleana did seem to just flow in any direction they lead her. 

Helaena could rule well I think. She seemed the most normal of allicent's mad brood. 

Although the best ruler would have been rhaenys, the queen who never was. She deserved the throne in every way that's why alysanne preferred her. 

8 hours ago, Daenerysthegreat said:

Helaena could rule well I think. She seemed the most normal of allicent's mad brood. 

being "the most normal one" doesn't make her fit to rule. she is a follower just like her brother Daeron . 

8 hours ago, Daenerysthegreat said:

Although the best ruler would have been rhaenys, the queen who never was. She deserved the throne in every way that's why alysanne preferred her. 

I agree. Rhaenys was already a grown up competent woman and her consort was one of the wealthiest influential men in the realm . moreover, after experiencing queen Alyssane the Westerosi were better able to accept a queen.  Jaehaerys just opened a can of worms (as someone correctly worded in another thread) with his questions after Aemon's death. after that a conflict or war was inevitable or extremely hard to avoid at best. 

I actually don't think Rhaenyra was that bad at all.

Her biggest mistakes are:

• failing to immediately mount Syrax and defend the Dragonpit
  • deciding to go back to Dragonstone instead of going north

I have no real problems with her rule of King's Landing. Could she have been gentler? Sure but there were still a bunch of enemies and traitors in the field and Aegon II had escaped and was in hiding.

I think a constant theme in this series is not so much that the rulers suck (the number of actual monsters in power is fairly small) as ruling sucks.

People find themselves working within a system where cruelty and treachery are the norm, and you can trust almost no one.

41 minutes ago, BlackLightning said:

I actually don't think Rhaenyra was that bad at all.

Her biggest mistakes are:

• failing to immediately mount Syrax and defend the Dragonpit
  • deciding to go back to Dragonstone instead of going north

I have no real problems with her rule of King's Landing. Could she have been gentler? Sure but there were still a bunch of enemies and traitors in the field and Aegon II had escaped and was in hiding.

I agree , Aegon II was downright unfit but Rhaenaera's failures were mostly out of the circumstances ( especially in the case of taxes that were on the Greens). however, she still couldn't hold everything together . for example she wouldn't have had to sell her crown at the end, if she had forgiven the turncloaks who had to temporarily go to the Greens' side and throwing Corlys in the dungeons knowing he and his fleet were crucial to her cause wasn't the best idea either. 

On 11/12/2021 at 9:43 AM, EggBlue said:

I agree , Aegon II was downright unfit but Rhaenaera's failures were mostly out of the circumstances ( especially in the case of taxes that were on the Greens). however, she still couldn't hold everything together . for example she wouldn't have had to sell her crown at the end, if she had forgiven the turncloaks who had to temporarily go to the Greens' side and throwing Corlys in the dungeons knowing he and his fleet were crucial to her cause wasn't the best idea either. 

I do think she overreacted with Corlys but I can't be too mad at her.

At that point, she had been betrayed or abandoned how many times? How many children had she lost? I would err on the side of caution.

A dungeon was overkill. If she felt some kind of way about it, a tower cell or house arrest in Maegor's should have sufficed.

Forgiving the turncloaks? That would've been the wise thing to do but...again, it's a question of trust. Not only can she trust them but can she entrust them with the responsibility of law enforcement in her own city.

3 hours ago, BlackLightning said:

I do think she overreacted with Corlys but I can't be too mad at her.

At that point, she had been betrayed or abandoned how many times? How many children had she lost? I would err on the side of caution.

A dungeon was overkill. If she felt some kind of way about it, a tower cell or house arrest in Maegor's should have sufficed.

Forgiving the turncloaks? That would've been the wise thing to do but...again, it's a question of trust. Not only can she trust them but can she entrust them with the responsibility of law enforcement in her own city.

you're right. I wouldn't be mad at her too. but , she wanted to become queen ...she surely didn't think it was going to be this messy... Greens are to be blamed there...but she knew it wasn't going to be easy either... she should have handled those extremely terrible situations better. she didn't and she lost.. if only she still had Velaryon fleet , she could go and take Dragonstone.

Someone who can put a competent small council.  In truth, most could have.  But it is far easier to build a small council before conflict.  it is late after the conflict has already started.  Lord Beesbury was a good man but he had snakes serving with him.  King V should have picked up on that.  A wiser man would have sent Aegon II to the wall. 

Archived