Worst plan ever made in the saga ?

Another thing that confuses me is that the Sand Snakes are really surprised to discover that Cersei is planning to kill the innocent Trystane but they themselves want to kill the innocent Tommen, and Obara wants to burn a city full of innocent people. I don't know if they're hypocrites or just stupid.

17 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

Another thing that confuses me is that the Sand Snakes are really surprised to discover that Cersei is planning to kill the innocent Trystane but they themselves want to kill the innocent Tommen, and Obara wants to burn a city full of innocent people. I don't know if they're hypocrites or just stupid.

Their indignation is quite blackly funny.

For all these examples, one can find political and military leaders doing just as stupid things in real life.

The Athenian invasion of Syracuse; their execution of the admirals who returned *victorious* from Arginnoussae; the behaviour of the Western Roman government in the 5th century; the recruitment of armies of slaves by Eastern monarchs; torturing to death the envoys of Genghis Khan; the Nazis simultaneously waging war on the USSR, USA, and British Empire, all have me questioning if these people could actually feed and dress themselves.

14 hours ago, The Mourning Knight said:

All he’s done is secretly agree to a marriage, and for the last 15 years been a negligent future father in law. It’s hard for me to draw a line between this and his claim that he has been working at Tywin’s demise. That’s like owning an empty lot of land for 15 years and telling people that you’ve been building a house. 

This analogy is just too perfect.

5 hours ago, Craving Peaches said:

They're both. 

16 hours ago, SeanF said:

The Greyjoys are probably the most stupid family of all.

Remember the guy who thought it a really great idea to cut off the lips and eyelids of his own mother, a Lannister.

What could possibly go right when the Lannister army sought revenge?

They have competition in the Martells. It's telling that a Martell caused and lost the only war in the history of Westeros where he and his army were annihilated while the opposing side suffered no casualty at all, and that the one person in the main story whose plans are arguably worse than Balon's is a Martell bastard. 

Ah and filling your clothes with rocks to talk with the Drowned God, such as a Drowned Man who pretended to the Drowned God's son and his thousands of followers did, when Aegon the Conqueror invaded the Iron Islands, isn't exactly a plan or military action but it might the record in terms of stupidity. 

1 hour ago, Terrorthatflapsinthenight9 said:

Ah and filling your clothes with rocks to talk with the Drowned God, such as a Drowned Man who pretended to the Drowned God's son and his thousands of followers did, when Aegon the Conqueror invaded the Iron Islands, isn't exactly a plan or military action but it might the record in terms of stupidity. 

Each time they drown themselves and then get resuscitated the brain damage gets worse.

The stupid thing with the Ironborn is, that unlike the Dothraki who have their barbarous ways rewarded because everyone chooses to pay them off rather than fight them, the last several successive attempts of the Ironborn to restore the Old Way have all ended badly and yet they still keep trying to make it work. It's so stupid. Only Asha and around 2 other people seem to realise this.

1 hour ago, Craving Peaches said:

The stupid thing with the Ironborn is, that unlike the Dothraki who have their barbarous ways rewarded because everyone chooses to pay them off rather than fight them, the last several successive attempts of the Ironborn to restore the Old Way have all ended badly and yet they still keep trying to make it work. It's so stupid. Only Asha and around 2 other people seem to realise this.

Asha is just as dumb as the rest of the family... Her idea in the kingsmoot is the worst of them all.

The best description of the greyjoys is

''Balon was mad, Aeron is madder, and Euron is the maddest of them all''.

37 minutes ago, Arthur Peres said:

Asha is just as dumb as the rest of the family... Her idea in the kingsmoot is the worst of them all.

The best description of the greyjoys is

''Balon was mad, Aeron is madder, and Euron is the maddest of them all''.

Which is great because that sentence makes Victarion appear sane. When in fact if you look up madness in a pictonary it's Theon nuzzling at his rats. Which only leave Asha who if not the worst idea at the kingsmoot was definitely one of them. It's all a great joy. I mean, Greyjoy

6 hours ago, Craving Peaches said:

“Every time a Greyjoy is born, the Gods toss a coin.  One one side is written Moron, on the other is Rapist.”

Sometimes, you get both.

2 minutes ago, sifth said:

Robb ruining the Frey alliance and Balon invading the North..................before trying to make an alliance with the Lannisters.

I don't think Robb counts, after all the old Walder and most of his descendants are and always have been treacherous and self-serving weasels,  who would have betrayed him as soon as they it more beneficial to switch sides. His bigger mistake was of trusting them and the Boltons in the first place.

Edited by Terrorthatflapsinthenight9

4 minutes ago, Terrorthatflapsinthenight9 said:

I don't think Robb counts, after all the old Walder and most of his descendants are and always have been treacherous and self-serving weasels,  who would have betrayed him as soon as they it more beneficial to switch sides. His bigger mistake was of trusting them and the Boltons in the first place.

I mean it's conjecture, so we'll never know, if the Freys would have betrayed Robb if he didn't break the alliance first. It's certainly something I could see them doing, but I can't say for sure.

Just now, sifth said:

I mean it's conjecture, so we'll never know, if the Freys would have betrayed Robb if he didn't break the alliance first. It's certainly something I could see them doing, but I can't say for sure.

We already saw signs of them being not so loyal and contemplating the idea of switching sides during Arya's chapters at Harrenhal before Robb's affair and marriage with Jeyne Westerling. 

If that's already not taking in account how Walder earned his nlckname. 

If they came to believe that Robb was going to be on the losing side regardless, I have no doubt that they would have turned their coats.

I feel like Robb's deal with the Freys in the first place was a bad deal and very one sided. They get a royal marriage and betrothal in exchange for doing what they were legally and morally obliged to do by default, coming to the defence of their liege lord Hoster and not impeding his allies. And Robb has to take the deal because somehow the Twins are the only bridge there?