Football: Forever blowing bubbles...or more?

A Horse Named Stranger

Couldn't come up with a better title regarding the quality of British coaches in the last thread.

Altho came here for something completely different.

There are some media rumours in Spain regarding a possible forced retirement of Aguero (heart problems).

In Germany in the wake of the withdrawal of the players from the national team, there's now a discussion to only select players who are either vaccianted or have recovered from corona in the future, to avoid a similar situation in the future (particularly right before the start of the World Cup next year).

Also just saw, that Mane picked up an injury on international duty.

Barcelona announced they'll continue their nostalgia trip from signing Xavi as manager by also signing Daniel Alves. As a player, mind you.

He was out of a club since rescinding with São Paulo in September, and because he couldn't find anyone in Brazil that would take him.

Also, why is Jorginho still taking penalties when he seemingly misses half of those these days?

3 minutes ago, Teng Ai Hui said:

2-0, USA over Mexico

Not sure why Berhalter didn't start the best player, but once Pulisic was subbed on, big things started to finally happen.

3-0 on the year as well.

Look into my eyes Mexico. We own your fucking asses!!! 

6 minutes ago, Teng Ai Hui said:

That's a good streak as USMNT has had a slightly rocky start in WCQ.  Also, it's an extra cherry on top that they continued the dos a cero history.

Yep. I cheered when we missed a decent chance to go up 3-0. The 2-0 will sting their fans that much more.

Kinda pathetic showing from Norwich.

When they released Farke I fully expected them to have an agreement with a successor in place and to use the international break to give the new manager as much time as possible to get to know the squad and to prepare for their next match.

That they are now chasing Smith who had been fired at the same time as Farke means, they had no alternative prepared. 

Also Lampard turned down Norwich? Either he is an entitled moron, who greatly overestimates his market value (United will surely contact him, as soon as Ole's no longer at the wheel, right?) or he hopes to get that job in Glasgow Gerrard left.

10 hours ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

Portugal somehow managed to lose to Serbia at home and finishes 2nd in it's group.

BTW, is Serbia the anti-Czech Republic- never qualifies for the Euros, always gets to the WC?

Portugal "somehow" managed to lose to Serbia because they were happy with 1-0 lead after 2 minutes and just as happy with a 1-1 after Serbia equalised. They even resorted to time-wasting for most of the second half. Pretty much a disgraceful performance from a team THAT filled with talent in all positions.

DISCLAIMER: I missed last 10-15 minutes of first half because I had to take the dog out, so that part may have been different but I doubt it.

Germany had a fairly easy group. Flick did what could be reasonably expected.

Yes, it looked much better than towards the end of Löw's era, but that's more indictment of the latter. But Sane looks much improved for club and country. He finally looks like a genuinely good player again. Anyway, Germany will face some real teams next year. Liechtenstein, Armenia, Macedonia, Romania and Iceland shouldn't really be the opponents to measure ones ability to win a World Cup.

As for Spain, Sweden will argue they should've won that game. Forsberg hitting the post, and Isak fluffing a very good chance.

Serbia's appointment of Dragan Stojkovic as national team manager turned out to be just what was needed. He lead the team to the top of the group and, even more importantly, in the process turned the team around to one that's not a chore to watch. Most of you probably won't know who he is, since he spent most of his career as a player in Japan where he was one of the J League stars. He did play for the national team of Yugoslavia (both the "old" one and the "new" one) in two World Cups in '90 and '98 and in one Euros in 2000. I'd dare say he's considered by most to be THE star Serbian player of the last 3-4 decades.

On the topic of Serbia missing Euros on regular basis, the one in 2000 is the only one I remember our team playing in, whether as Yugoslavia, Serbia and Montenegro or Serbia alone. Yugoslavia (the "old" one, with Croatia, Bosnia etc.) did manage to qualify in 1992, but was banned from competing and Denmark went in their stead and ended up winning the tournament.

I said I won't watch the World Cup in Qatar due to all the controversy around it, but this team is making that really hard for me. :D 

The Italy group has suddenly become very interesting.

Switzerland finally managed to breakthru and take the lead against Bulgaria. And in the group.

Italy were/are safely in control against NI, but totally unable to create anything dangerous (thus far), or are rather playing with fire defensively. 

Again, the group have been solved if Jorginho (who misses half the penalties he takes these days and is still allowed to take them for some reason) hadn't missed a penalty last game.

But yeah, it's hilarious that Italy might not make to the WC again after the Euro title and all that period undefeated.

Also, great victory by Scotland.

I think I am legally required by law for the Bantz to hope for the Netherlands to balls it up tomorrow.

Also the Czechs still ahve a chance to make it to the play-offs. They have to win their game against Estonia and hope for Belgium to beat Wales. Not totally out of the question.

Edit: just checked.

One of those results would've to be with a difference of two goals. As the Welsh have an edge in their head to head results.

Archived