Football: Forever blowing bubbles...or more?

A Horse Named Stranger

8 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Manchester City’s Benjamin Mendy charged with two additional counts of rape
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/nov/16/manchester-ctys-benjamin-mendy-charged-with-two-additional-counts-of

Total 6 counts of rape.He sounds like a serial rapist! WTF.

At this rate, Prison FC will soon be able to move out of the five-a-sides and into the eleven-versus-elevens.

23 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

It appears Canada owns Mexico now, too. :laugh:

We'll sidebar the underwhelming performance we had tonight because at least we got a point, but did you see some of the pictures before the game? Does European football ever take place in a stadium that gets half a foot of snow in a day? Legit ignorant on this, but I've never seen it across the pond.

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

We'll sidebar the underwhelming performance we had tonight because at least we got a point, but did you see some of the pictures before the game? Does European football ever take place in a stadium that gets half a foot of snow in a day? Legit ignorant on this, but I've never seen it across the pond.

Yes. However, the clubs in top flight (top two in Germany) have an undersoil heating. But sometimes that's not enough.

My worst away game was in the midst of winter in '09. (20.12.2009 to be precise). It was even a bit colder than at the Canada-Mexico game. A stadium in the middle of nowhere, and it was fucking cold. And we lost that game on top of that.

From that game.

On the other hand, I also have a very fond memory of home game.

Full game. Not as cold, but in a time when were dwelling in third tier football and had no undersoil heating in place. But yeah, Bremen was howling they had to play on that soil and Klose picked up an injury iirc. In the end, we knocked out Bremen, leaving a lot of their fans seething, that the game should never have been played that day, and that we effectively handed the title to Bayern. Couldn't care less, next round was the semi-final. And Bayern put an end to our cup run that year. And yes, they won the final against Frankfurt.

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

As @A Horse Named Stranger said, lot of European leagues have under soil heating which greatly reduces possibility of snow-covered pitch (except in some strong blizzards or something). Others have a winter break and some even start their season in spring and wrap it up in autumn.

If I'm not mistaken, last round or two of the group stages in European international competitions are not played in countries with colder climate and high probability of snow, with clubs from those countries playing their home games before that.

It was over 10 years ago, so I can't remember which team played Dinamo Kyiv in Ukraine mid-December but players were wearing sweatpants and sweatshirts under their kits, had caps and gloves on etc. I guess that was one of the reasons why Ukrainian teams don't play at home at that round anymore.

4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

It's common enough that there's a special ball (bright orange) for playing in snowy conditions.

Thankfully Netherlands will be at the next world cup, still a risk that Italy will miss out yet again, but their playoff will be at home so hopefully they will get the job done.

Well done to Wales for just pipping Czech to that play-off spot.

12 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

It appears Canada owns Mexico now, too. :laugh:

Jokes aside and sweet goal celebrations of jumping into a snowbank, I cannot believe we are likely going to make the world cup and actually look good doing so. I legit never thought it would happen.

Archived