Football: Forever blowing bubbles...or more?

A Horse Named Stranger

3 hours ago, The Sunland Lord said:

Apparently Aguero will retire. 

I assumed this was because he's been perennially injured over the last few years but I just saw that apparently he's got some sort of heart condition the news of had totally passed me by so, leaving aside the football side of things, hopefully he's ok.

4 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Ah, c'mon now. Firing Solskjaer before the Chelsea game would kinda distorrt the competition, wouldn't it?

You have to give all the title challengers an equal chance to improve on their goal differrence. :leaving:

I am in full agreement.

40 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

I assumed this was because he's been perennially injured over the last few years but I just saw that apparently he's got some sort of heart condition the news of had totally passed me by so, leaving aside the football side of things, hopefully he's ok.

Yes, probably the best decision, and I think Eriksen will do the same-in any case, hopefully they are OK as that's most important.

So, can United hurry up with their decission on Ole's future. I mean I am watching The Masked Singer finale, and have the notebook open waiting for the news.

Probably also should prepare something for a chess game tomorrow. C'mon, Woody, one last managerial appointment, before you leave.

4 hours ago, Consigliere said:

I don't think Zidane is particularly interested in the job, at least that's what all the reports were saying. Maybe if they throw enough money at him he might change his mind but hiring a manager who doesn't really want to be here and doesn't speak any english either doesn't bode well.

Yeah, but surely by the same token hiring a manager (Conte) that the board don't really want wouldn't have boded well either?

Managerial appointments have to be right for both sides. Enough clubs have persuaded themselves that they should want Mourinho, whether he's a good fit for the club or not, to prove that. Man United among them.

For the same reasons, I'm not sure about Rodgers following Solskjaer. But yeah, there is a dearth of other options. ten Hag maybe?

Question is whether ten Haag would want to leave mid-season, and whether Ajax are willing to even discuss it.

Ajax are financially healthy to say the least. So they are perfectly capable to tell United to get lost. On top of that ten Haag's English rumoredly rather meh. Which would make life a bit more difficult coming in now to salvage United's season.

Conte would have been a good short-term fix but a risky option for any longer than the end of next season. 

Zidane's probably a better option with the mess we have if anything, in that he doesn't particularly need to have the team playing good football to get results and we might need that sort of... I wouldn't even say pragmatism, Conte's pragmatic, but let's say weird kind of disciplined improv in which I think Zidane can work around holes in a way I'm not sure Conte can. 
But he doesn't seem to want it so that would be moot.  

Rogers is a terrible immediate option because he needs a strong possession-passing midfield to do his best work and the closest we have to that is Pogba, who isn't really one and is out anyway for ages. 

There isn't really a perfect option and Conte wouldn't have been that either. But at this point with availability issues we might be looking at a caretaker situation for at least a while tbh. 

10 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Zidane's probably a better option with the mess we have if anything, in that he doesn't particularly need to have the team playing good football to get results and we might need that sort of... I wouldn't even say pragmatism, Conte's pragmatic, but let's say weird kind of disciplined improv in which I think Zidane can work around holes in a way I'm not sure Conte can. 
But he doesn't seem to want it so that would be moot. 

I think if we offer Zidane the job until the end of the season only then he'd take it. I suspect that Zidane is waiting for the French NT job (Deschamps' contract runs out after the WC) and doesn't want to be tied into a club contract when/if that opportunity comes up.

Unfortunately it looks like we are going from bad (Solskjaer) to worse (Fletcher and Carrick) because the clueless clowns waited too long to do the obvious thing and are now desperately scambling. Typical of the shambolic manner in which this club is run.

Jonathan Wilson tweeted an interesting fact I didn't know; Man U have only won the league with 3 managers in their whole history: Ernest Mangnall (back in the early 1900s), Matt Busby and Sir Alex Ferguson.

So they have the most league titles of any team (20) but they're all between 3 managers, with Ferguson having 13 of them.

Just shows Ferguson's unprecedented dominance, that when he took over Man United had 7 league titles in their history (which I think was less than what Villa and Everton had at the time) to Liverpool's 18 titles! If you'd told people that Man U would have have overtaken Liverpool by the time Fergie left no one would've believed it.

Archived