Football: Forever blowing bubbles...or more?

A Horse Named Stranger

News update on Bayern and their unvaxxed players.

Musiala and Gnabry have recieved their first jabs. With Musiala it's kind of a more complex story, why he didn't do it earlier. They'll get their second jab during the winter break.

Kimmich and Choupo-Moting have now both been tested positive for corona.

Atleti can still go through if they beat Porto and Milan fails to beat Liverpool.

The three Portuguese teams have been the big surprises. Sporting already qualified, Benfica in a good position to leapfrog Barca and finish second and Porto goes through if they beat Atleti (a draw would also be enough provided Milan doesn't beat Liverpool).

Liverpool got to rotate plenty of players and still take the win, although some sloppy moments in the first half could have conceded goals.  Konate especially looked rusty after not playing recently — he looked much sharper in his prior games.  Thiago is class, and he or Henderson can offer a more defensive MF shape alongside Fabinho.  And credit to Ox who has looked more balanced and consistent after getting a run of games.  Well done to Tyler Morton, getting a start in the CL even before a start in the PL.

Looking aside from the CL, both Harry Wilson and Dominic Solanke are having great seasons in the Championship.  I hope their careers take off now.

On 11/24/2021 at 1:38 PM, Heartofice said:

I think Tuchel has just shown that he is an elite level manager and that is what is needed by big clubs. The days of having some bloke in charge who can just play players in their most obvious positions and shout a bit to get them to run faster are over.

Club management is a lot more detail oriented and requires far more intelligence and knowledge than I think it probably ever did to compete with the best. 

Lampard just isn’t in that bracket, I hope he actually realises that. Maybe with the right team behind him he can do well somewhere but he’s at most only ever gonna be a middling or championship manager. Probably a pundit.

No, Tuchel had just highlighted how poorly managed that team was. 

Rüdiger, whom Lampard wanted to push out is now once again one of their Key Players. The long forgotten Jorginho, for whom Lampard also had little use? Same story, and his personal awards make that even more obvious. Lampard had the exact same players at his disposal Tuchel did. Tuchel just managed to get performances out of that group of players. Yes, Tuchel is a manager on the upper end of the food chain, thus he even got a CL title out of them. But 8th place (was it 9th) in the league, when Tuchel came in was clearly underperforming by quite a bit. Tuchel is good, but getting a CL title out of a midtable team, he is not that good.

29 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

But that Chelsea squad was quite clearly not a midtable team.

Which was kinda my point of Lampard being just plain bad and that he had his squad woefully underperforming.

10 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Which was kinda my point of Lampard being just plain bad and that he had his squad woefully underperforming.

I got that and agree with it but why did you conclude with:

Tuchel is good, but getting a CL title out of a midtable team, he is not that good.

That doesn't make much sense given that the Chelsea squad is very far from being a midtable team even though Lampard had them playing like one.

Meant to further highlight Lampard's lack of ability. 

Tuchel is a very good coach who probably got the optimum out of the team under the circumstances. But even asa good as he is, he wouldn't win the CL with a mid-table, logical conclusion, that it was not midtable team, but Lampard failing miserably.

2 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

No, Tuchel had just highlighted how poorly managed that team was. 

Rüdiger, whom Lampard wanted to push out is now once again one of their Key Players. The long forgotten Jorginho, for whom Lampard also had little use? Same story, and his personal awards make that even more obvious. Lampard had the exact same players at his disposal Tuchel did. Tuchel just managed to get performances out of that group of players. Yes, Tuchel is a manager on the upper end of the food chain, thus he even got a CL title out of them. But 8th place (was it 9th) in the league, when Tuchel came in was clearly underperforming by quite a bit. Tuchel is good, but getting a CL title out of a midtable team, he is not that good.

I mean I agree with your point. Lampard was underperforming, though potentially over performing the previous season given the restrictions he was working under. 

My point was really that times have moved on, the level needed to do well at the top level is far higher than it was before. Lampard is on another planet to Klopp or Pep, he could never compete with that. Not sure if that makes him bad, just massively out of his depth. Probably similar to Ole

2 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

though potentially over performing the previous season given the restrictions he was working under. 

Disagree here. Lampard still had the third best squad in the league (and a much better squad than United) but only managed to finish level on points with a United team that due to injuries were playing a midfield of Fred, Pereira and Lingard for a good portion of the season. 

18 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Disagree here. Lampard still had the third best squad in the league (and a much better squad than United) but only managed to finish level on points with a United team that due to injuries were playing a midfield of Fred, Pereira and Lingard for a good portion of the season. 

I dunno about that. He was playing Zouma, Barkley and Abraham. Utd’s squad was pretty similar in quality if you take it as a whole 

Archived