Football: Forever blowing bubbles...or more?

A Horse Named Stranger

13 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Liverpool got to rotate plenty of players and still take the win, although some sloppy moments in the first half could have conceded goals.  Konate especially looked rusty after not playing recently — he looked much sharper in his prior games.  Thiago is class, and he or Henderson can offer a more defensive MF shape alongside Fabinho.  And credit to Ox who has looked more balanced and consistent after getting a run of games.  Well done to Tyler Morton, getting a start in the CL even before a start in the PL.

Looking aside from the CL, both Harry Wilson and Dominic Solanke are having great seasons in the Championship.  I hope their careers take off now.

Klopp is doing a good job of bringing in youth and promoting from the Academy.

Kelleher, Trent, Neco, Nat, Rhys, Morton, Gordon, Jones, Elliott, etc. have all played useful roles in the team, and they have to be a good example for why a young player might want to join the Liverpool Academy.

5 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I dunno about that. He was playing Zouma, Barkley and Abraham. Utd’s squad was pretty similar in quality if you take it as a whole 

And had Kante, Jorginho, Kovacic, Mount, Pulisic, Rudiger. The two squads were objectively not similar. Chelsea's midfield especially was vastly superior to United's that season since Matic was injured for half the season, Pogba injured for most of the season and McTominay missing a couple of months due to a knee injury. Defensively Chelsea were dogshit but it was due to Lampard not being able to organise a team defensively to save his life rather than Chelsea having shit defensive players. That team should never be conceding anywhere near 55 goals in the league. Lampard most certainly didn't overperform with the squad he had that season; if anything, he underperformed. At best, if you want to be generous, you can say he performed just about on par. 

Rangnick announced as United’s interim manager for the rest of the season.  He’s a very good tactical manager but his pressing style seems badly suited to the United attacking players (other than Cavani, in fairness).  Just as Poch is struggling to get the PSG attacking players to buy into his vision of collective effort.  Let’s see if he can effect a change in attitude.

Re: Rangnick. I'm not sure how the interim manager thing will work out given that Rangnick has not actually coached in over two years. I think the 2 year consultancy gig with us after that is far more important. If Rangnick were to flop as interim manager but excel at the consultancy role, I'd happily take that. It's painfully clear that United need major help when it comes to recruitment. Given that City is the only club in the world to have spent more money than United since Ferguson retired, it's a massive embarrassment and scathing indictment on our recruitment process that we still have holes at CB, RB and especially in midfield.

I disagree, with the exception of maybe Ronaldo I see no reason why United's forward line can't learn press. It just needs to be drilled in during training. There the question is, how fast he can drill it into that team. But that's really stuff that can be learnt. The bigger issue with a high press is the lack of pace on CB (Maguire) when Varane is absent.  

Let's be fair, giving Ragnik six months in which to get a first hand look at the squad so he can best feel out what he thinks his replacement needs is a great idea.

I don't think attitude-wise most of the attackers will have a problem  - like HNS says, it's Maguire that's the issue, which is the whole reason we bought Varane in the first place. A gegenpress should suite Bruno down to the ground, Sancho started at City and grew at Dortmund, even this latter Dortmund, so he should be fine, Martial's got a lot of issues currently but the will to press isn't one of them. I do worry about Rashford's fragility in putting that constant hard-sprint effort in though. When he's recovering from or working with an injury he has a tendency to lose confidence to fully drive even when he's running with the ball. We'll see I guess.

19 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I don't think attitude-wise most of the attackers will have a problem  - like HNS says, it's Maguire that's the issue, which is the whole reason we bought Varane in the first place. A gegenpress should suite Bruno down to the ground, Sancho started at City and grew at Dortmund, even this latter Dortmund, so he should be fine, Martial's got a lot of issues currently but the will to press isn't one of them. I do worry about Rashford's fragility in putting that constant hard-sprint effort in though. When he's recovering from or working with an injury he has a tendency to lose confidence to fully drive even when he's running with the ball. We'll see I guess.

Hopefully Rangnick will make better use of the squad than Solskjaer did and rotate a bit more i.e. Rashford/Martial, Ronaldo/Cavani, Bruno/Lingard and Greenwood can rotate with Sancho or up front. He could make more use of VdB too. Solskjaer tended to run players into the ground. Greenwood also seems to be getting a free pass when it comes to pressing - he's one of the laziest in terms of pressing in the league. A soon to be 37 y/o Ronaldo with 20 years and nearly 1,100 games in professional football does more work off the ball than 20 y/o Greenwood. It's embarrassing. He needs a kick up the arse.

Ah, almost forgot. Bayern had a fun club meeting.

Part of their fan scene want to end the Qatar business connection (namely Qatari Airways sponsoring). 

The Bayern board fought tooth and nails that a motion on the issue would not be tabled there. They managed to suppress by involving the courts. The fans did not particularly like it. The fan who wanted to table the motion (a lawyer by trade I think), fired back at the meeting and managed to get a vote on another motion. Prohibiting Bayern from selling another 5% of their club shares (I think 75% of the club shares are still with the club right now). The otion would've needed a two third vote to be accepted. Kahn pleaded to vote that motion down. The motion got a majority and was mighty close to get the necessary 2/3 of the votes, but didn't quite get enough votes in the end.

That in turn has lead to quite a few unhappy fans. They chanted "Heiner Out!" "We're Bayern, you're not!". So I am fairly sure, the Qatar business connection will keep Bayern entertained for a whle longer. And there'll be a vote on it next year. This year the Bayern board avoided it on the technicality, that the motion wasn't filed in time and the courts supported that view. 

4 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

It sounds like there's a little kid right next to the BT crowd microphone. You can hear it chuntering away and screeching every time an Arsenal player is fouled. Can't they send someone to shut the horrible little fucker up?

That's Arteta. 

Archived