International Events VIII: Been living under a rock so long

TheLastWolf

Meh. These environmental issues are being pushed under the mat. Forget Bolsonaro and Brazil and Amazon (don't, just a way a speech), UNESCO Heritage and pretty fucking rich biodiversity hotspot (lots of endemic sp), the Western Ghats is facing major threats from Modi's developmental policies. Population of wildlife goes up. Yay. Territory disappears. Boo. Inbreeding, fragmentation, no migration corridors, you name it

10 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

Announcement (didn't know where else to post down South)

Had fun for two weeks after a 6 week long break, now break resumes. Adios amigos, until next time (who knows when)

For friends and foes north south of the forum wall

:cheers:  Looking forward to your return.

Hasten my return to add: really like your choice for subject title!

Yeah, with Lybia being so unstable and the economy also not doing too well, there's some real gaddafi nostalgia going on (life was better under good King Aerys). It's not gonna be enough to get him into office presumably.

2 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Do the sins of the father rest on the shoulders of the son?

Well, the said son was part of his father's inner circle, he continues to vocally support all of his father's policies, and the party he currently leads explicitly declares itself as the "Gaddafi loyalist" party.

1 hour ago, Maltaran said:

Wrong tense, she has previously been in parliament though, in both Rome and Brussels

Interesting. All the reporting I saw indicated this was her first electoral victory. Wouldn't being on Rome's city council be a major downgrade over those two positions? 

14 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Do the sins of the father rest on the shoulders of the son?

I'm totally agnostic currently on whether Gaddafi Jr should or shouldn't be the next leader.

We shall see what the election holds.

Well, he was part of his dad's inner circle. The family had diverted (unsurprisingly) quite a bit state funds into their own pockets 200m US $ or so (rumoredly some of the Gaddafi gold (no, I mean that literally) was stored by disgraced former South African President Jacob Zuma), and he is basically running on life was good under my dad, let's return to the old ways, shall we?

So no, he doesn't get off the hook with the sins of the father card.

3 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Well, he was part of his dad's inner circle. The family had diverted (unsurprisingly) quite a bit state funds into their own pockets 200m US $ or so (rumoredly some of the Gaddafi gold (no, I mean that literally) was stored by disgraced former South African President Jacob Zuma), and he is basically running on life was good under my dad, let's return to the old ways, shall we?

So no, he doesn't get off the hook with the sins of the father card.

It will be an interesting election.

9 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Interesting. All the reporting I saw indicated this was her first electoral victory. Wouldn't being on Rome's city council be a major downgrade over those two positions? 

Just looked it up and we’re talking about two different granddaughters - the one on Rome council is the sister of the former MEP

12 hours ago, Maltaran said:

Just looked it up and we’re talking about two different granddaughters - the one on Rome council is the sister of the former MEP

The former MEP (Alessandra) also has a son, who is playing football. No bonus points if you can guess the club he has signed his first pro contract for. Since we are talking family trivia. Can you guess her (maternal) aunt?

Spoiler

Sophia Loren

Has anyone been following the disappearance of Chinese tennis player Peng Shuai? She's now been missing for over two weeks after accusing a former high ranking member of the Chinese government of repeated sexual assaults, and it seems pretty clear that the Chinese government is behind it. China's state media released a statement they're attributing to her, but nobody is buying it. The WTA in response appears to be willing to cut all its events in China over this. 

Archived