International Events VIII: Been living under a rock so long

TheLastWolf

We should ask an expert, just like the journalists did.

The zoologist gave an opinion on effectivity of the concept. There is no doubt. Those who would suffer the most are the crocodiles and inhabitants of Dębica. Boars would take no harm.

Yeah, Crocodiles. Perfectly suited for the cold Polish winters. 

Introducing bears to deal with boars is like trying to cast out devils by the beelzebub.

They will come looking for food, too. 

I am sure there'll be plenty of morons to feed wolves pups to take away their fear of humans, and they will come to town too then. And they are smart, so they will likely try to avoid dangerous confrontations with boars and look with easier prey first. Liverstock on grassland comes to mind, then there's deer. 

I am all in favour of getting allowing natural wildlife back into Europe's forests. But anybody who suggests it to control anther species, should be aware of what will happen, actually.

Oc the whole action was political happening / prank and the goal was to ashame inactive mayor 

Some inhabitants might have taken it seriously, there was a comment like "I am already scared, bring the crocodiles and I won't dare to leave the house!," XD

1 hour ago, HoodedCrow said:

Sausages?

From political pov this seems perfect solution, free sausages for the masses!

I am all in favour of getting allowing natural wildlife back into Europe's forests. But anybody who suggests it to control anther species, should be aware of what will happen, actually.

Man, last year from my backyard I saw a moose , like 500 meters away, it run along  river bank.

Now there are beavers in the river i live at, and in 1989 they were almost extinct. In the 80's I saw dead piglets going with the flow, nobody sane would have swum in it. Now people do, there are also fish ( fit for consumption). When industry and state owned colective farming 'enterprises' collapsed around 1990 and ceased to pump / throw out their shit, the life started to return to rivers. Why do the bigger land creatures reappear in bigger numbers I do not know, afaik forests have not increased their areal since then and urbanization has progressed.

5 hours ago, Zorral said:

:idea:  Desperate times demand desperate measures!

Though -- are bear and boar naturally enemies?  Unless, maybe the boar and wolves attempt to appropriate the bear's dinner? Though both bear and boar (who are related genetically right?) are omnivorous.

Yes and no. Yes in that all life is genetically related, no in that bear and boar are not in the same order on the taxonomic tree. Their taxonomic relatedness ends at mammal. Wolf and bear are in the same sub-order, so closer in relation.

I do believe bears and wolves both prefer to hunt easier to kill, less aggressive and less likely to kill you back prey.

If pigs are the main source of XP in a wild server there is a good chance wolves and bears will look to the human server as an XP source, like the pigs have.

Crocs will take on anything, but the disadvantage as a re-balance patch is they are campers and they won't actively hunt pigs.

On 11/18/2021 at 7:06 PM, Tywin et al. said:

Has anyone been following the disappearance of Chinese tennis player Peng Shuai? She's now been missing for over two weeks after accusing a former high ranking member of the Chinese government of repeated sexual assaults, and it seems pretty clear that the Chinese government is behind it. China's state media released a statement they're attributing to her, but nobody is buying it. The WTA in response appears to be willing to cut all its events in China over this. 

The Chinese Government is lashing out at the Women’s Tennis Federation for pulling out of all Chinese events over the Chinese Governments attempts to cover this up.

I’m rather surprised there has been no discussion of Russia massing 90,000 troops on Ukraine’s Eastern Border and the US Secretary of State warning Russia not to invade and Ukraine not to give the Russians a reason to invade.

This is probably Russian brinksmanship seeing if they can bait the Ukrainians into giving them a reason to push across the border.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna7203

37 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

The Chinese Government is lashing out at the Women’s Tennis Federation for pulling out of all Chinese events over the Chinese Governments attempts to cover this up.

Not surprising, they treat stuff like this as personal attacks against the country, but there's nothing else the WTA could do, especially with the top players speaking out. It will be interesting to see how countries and athletes react at the upcoming winter games in Beijing in a few months.

"Poland plans to set up register of pregnancies to report miscarriages
Proposed register would come into effect in January, a year after near-total ban on abortion"

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2021/dec/03/poland-plans-to-set-up-register-of-pregnancies-to-report-miscarriages

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"On the Great Pacific Garbage Patch, scientists find a surprise: Coastal life
Scientists documented more than 40 coastal species clinging to plastic trash, including mussels, barnacles and shrimp-like amphipods"

https://www.nbcnews.com/science/environment/great-pacific-garbage-patch-scientists-find-surprise-coastal-life-rcna7292

“It’s almost like a new island has emerged,” said Ruiz, adding that the new habitat “represents a paradigm shift of what we thought was possible.” 

The finding raises questions about how these communities function, how they develop and what implications they have for the movement of invasive species.

So, I should know better than to try making predictions, ever, but I think one can put a coin on Valérie Pécresse becoming the French president in a few months.
Pécresse recently won the primaries for the "traditional" right-wing party (now called, hilariously, "republicans" (Les républicains)). She should be able to rely on a solid electoral base to reach the second round of the presidential elections (unlike Macron), and because she has denounced proximity to the far-right in the past, is well positioned to face either Le Pen or Zemmour (yes, we have TWO serious fascist candidates now, what a time to be alive, uh?).
She's as right-wing as they come (defining herself as "two-thirds Merkel, one-third Thatcher"), and will continue the neo-liberal agenda. But she's making just enough noises about injecting funds for justice, health, and education, to become palatable to anyone identifying as a moderate. And of course, electing a woman will be seen as "progressive."
In a nutshell: nothing new. The usual bullcrap of neo-liberals playing moderate and using fear of fascism to stay in power.
Oh, the left you ask? Well the "left" has at least five candidates, none of which should amount to much, barring a miracle.

Edit: on the environment, her big thing is a European carbon tax. Which sounds great, until you remember that the French president doesn't have the power to get it done, so it's a neat communication trick. Apart from that, she fully accepts the IPCC's reports, which goes to show that no serious politician can ignore the issue, which is something. But she's against any kind of "tax or fine", and offers empty platitudes instead.
She will continue Macron's nuclear strategy, which is interesting. I have the dark suspicion that these two will pull their punches with one another.

I guess the only real question is where she's at on the environment and climate change in particular? Neoliberal economic policies are hugely damaging to the poor and working poor. But if the climate problem isn't brought under control it won't matter too much whether neoliberalism is alive or dead. Though I guess one can argue that neoliberalism and inaction on climate change are inextricably linked.

There was a piece on Zemmour a couple of days ago on Spanish State Radio. You would have expected them to measure their words when speaking about a foreign presidential candidate, but they definitely made him sound like a "immigrants are destroying French culture" deplorable. For what it's worth, their money was on Macron. 

I'm not anxious to eat these newly thriving shrimp from the Pacific Garbage Patch.

Sad thing is it was always going to be the case that some life forms will start ingesting that garbage. And then the cycle of spreading through the foodchain begins.

We will eventually be ingesting our own plastic garbage, I guess that is our deserved karma for mindless consumption in the first place.

9 hours ago, Mentat said:

There was a piece on Zemmour a couple of days ago on Spanish State Radio. You would have expected them to measure their words when speaking about a foreign presidential candidate, but they definitely made him sound like a "immigrants are destroying French culture" deplorable. For what it's worth, their money was on Macron. 

From what I've read of him, Zemmour appears to be a candidate of those on the far right who consider Le Pen to be too liberal, and apparently there's 10-15% of those voters in the electorate.

Archived