International Events VIII: Been living under a rock so long

TheLastWolf

1 hour ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Though do Germans still call their country Deutschland and their language Deutsch? The question then is why does almost everyone else call it Germany / German.

I blame the Netherlanders. 

On 1/10/2022 at 9:17 PM, The Anti-Targ said:

Though do Germans still call their country Deutschland and their language Deutsch? The question then is why does almost everyone else call it Germany / German.

It may be something derived from the Latin Germania in many languages but there's also a lot which don't use that like French (Allemagne) or Spanish.

I didn't see that link before my original reply. I knew there was a bit of variation but I didn't realise quite how much there was.

Looks like talks between Russia and NATO have ended without anything to show for it. 

No surprises here, as soon as Russia announced their demands it was clear to me they were nothing more than a pretext to justify Moscow’s coming invasion of Ukraine. Some further talks are scheduled later in the month between Ukraine, France, Germany and Russia, but don’t hold your breath for anything to come of them. 

Time to buckle in and get ready for what’s next. Let’s see how well Ukraine is prepared to withstand an invasion and how Russia will respond to, supposedly much harsher, sanctions Washington has pledged to enact once Russia invades. 

5 hours ago, Ghjhero said:

No surprises here, as soon as Russia announced their demands it was clear to me they were nothing more than a pretext to justify Moscow’s coming invasion of Ukraine. Some further talks are scheduled later in the month between Ukraine, France, Germany and Russia, but don’t hold your breath for anything to come of them. 

Time to buckle in and get ready for what’s next. Let’s see how well Ukraine is prepared to withstand an invasion and how Russia will respond to, supposedly much harsher, sanctions Washington has pledged to enact once Russia invades. 

I mean, yes, the talks ending in a stalemate is not a particularly surprising outcome.  As long as Russia's primary demand is a non-starter to the US and NATO, that's what's going to happen.  Could Putin use the failed talks as a pretext for invasion?  Sure, that's definitely a possibility.  But that hardly means an invasion is inevitable or a foregone conclusion, we'll see.

27 minutes ago, Padraig said:

Very interesting map

You could see why Turkey joining the EU was feared and hoped for, both at the same time.  Before Erdogan showed how power hungry he was.

This is very interesting. I never would have pegged the Açores as having a place among the youngest in Europe. 

I guess what you kind of want for a population spread is for age brackets up to about 60 they are more or less the same, i.e. almost no deaths before 60, then a gradual reduction in population with older people not really dropping off in substantial numbers until their late 80s.

So I would think about 12% per 10 year age bracket up to 60 (72%), then 60-80 about 10% and 8% respectively then the final 10% for 90+, which will span at least 2 decades so maybe 6%/3%, then 1% >110. So 15-29 age group should be about 18%. Any region / country between 15-20% is pretty much the ideal. Any region/country above 20% is looking to be skewed on the younger side than ideal. Any region / country below 15% is looking skewed on the older side than ideal.

Has any country yet reached a state of health and wellbeing where 4% of the population is over 100? We definitely don't have 200,000 centenarians, but I would personally rate that as being a sign of a country having achieved a very high standard of lifelong health and wellbeing for the whole population.

18 hours ago, DMC said:

I mean, yes, the talks ending in a stalemate is not a particularly surprising outcome.  As long as Russia's primary demand is a non-starter to the US and NATO, that's what's going to happen.  Could Putin use the failed talks as a pretext for invasion?  Sure, that's definitely a possibility.  But that hardly means an invasion is inevitable or a foregone conclusion, we'll see.

Time will tell, but imo this has all been by design. Putin went into the talks with unrealistic demands he knew NATO would never meet in order to say that he tried and will now justify an invasion that way. 

There are a lot of OSINT reports out there detailing how Russia continues to transport large amounts of military hardware from their far eastern provinces west to the border with Ukraine. Not to mention Ukraine just suffered a major cyber attack this morning.

4 minutes ago, Larry of the Lake said:

Underwater Volcano near Tonga just errupted.  The statellite pictures are dramatic and humbling.  Hoping that casualties are to a minimum.  

Didn't this happen like 12 hours ago?

I agree, I hope causalities aren't too high.

Lots of comms systems are down in Tonga. Tsunami in various places around the pacific including here, property damaging, but I believe not terribly life threatening. Lots of ash all over Tonga. Biggest Tsunami here that I can recall (not me personally, since I live 10s of km inland so there would need to be an apocalyptic event for a Tsunami to reach my town).

I assume it's tsunami waves we are seeing radiate away from the blast zone.

Netanyahu negotiating plea deal in corruption trial:

The person said a number of elements remained unresolved, including the inclusion of the charge of “moral turpitude,” which under Israeli law would ban Netanyahu from politics for seven years. They were also deliberating whether Netanyahu would be forced to do community service under the deal.

Including “moral turpitude” would challenge Netanyahu's vows to return to lead the country after his 12-year reign was ended last year by a coalition of ideologically disparate parties with little in common other than its opposition to his leadership. But Netanyahu, dubbed a political wizard for his ability to survive repeated attempts at ending his rule, could make a comeback when the ban expires. He would be nearly 80.

I understand there's a strong desire to not offer him a deal, but if he's banned for seven years I say do it.

If he's convicted is he banned for life? If not, then might as well go for a plea deal. Get the conviction with acceptance of guilt without the hassle of a trial, even if the sentence is much less than would be obtained from a trial, and a trial with a guilty verdict can still have Netanyahu pleading his innocence and being a victim of a witch hunt. It's mostly the conviction and admission of guilt that counts.

Archived