International Events VIII: Been living under a rock so long

TheLastWolf

54 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Tankies out in force in Greece…

The horseshoe theory strikes again.

They’re just a bunch of fascist simps.
 Russia isn’t communist, Putin doesn’t call himself a communist, and Russia’s economy has liberalized for a couple decades now.

But he’s a strong man fighting the “decadent” west—which is why most far-right groups in the west have supported him.

25 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Russia isn’t communist, Putin doesn’t call himself a communist, and Russia’s economy has liberalized for a couple decades now.

But he’s a strong man fighting the “decadent” west—which is why most far-right groups in the west have supported him.

For a decent part of the far-left, anyone that opposes the US, for any reason, is automatically the good guy, or at least not so bad as they are, and should be supported no matter what they do. Saying US=bad excuses anything.

I guess whereas the lesser of two evils for the US 2016 presidential election was not really true for most Democrats, even those on the left of the Democratic party (which is not very left), though no doubt it was for the US Greens. For the entire French left, which includes the centre-left even, it is very much a case of the lesser of two evils.

23 minutes ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

For a decent part of the far-left, anyone that opposes the US, for any reason, is automatically the good guy, or at least not so bad as they are, and should be supported no matter what they do. Saying US=bad excuses anything.

Absolute bull shit, that can only be uttered by an authoritarian, fascist, reichlican, neolib who knows nothing whatsoever.  Or from some other country than the USA and doesn't understand anything that's going on here.

1 hour ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

True. Sometimes this mindset lands them in the right position—for example opposing the Iraq war. But it’s bound to lead to some awful stances in others—for example supporting far right dictators because they’re doing something the us doesn’t like.

56 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Absolute bull shit, that can only be uttered by an authoritarian, fascist, reichlican, neolib who knows nothing whatsoever.  Or from some other country than the USA and doesn't understand anything that's going on here.

Dude, all what was said is that a decent part of the left(not even all or a strong majority) is reactionary when it comes to America.

The last part just reeks of American exceptionalism to where Americans must uniquely terrible to disagree with you, while left wing foreigners have to be just ignorant saps who simply can’t know any better.

2 hours ago, Zorral said:

It’s a fair assessment of the Stop the War coalition in the UK.  But, most of the British left supports Ukraine.

5 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Well, good to know that the German Linke aren't the only European leftist party that has a jarring disconnect with reality and is so desperately begging for the moment Putin hisses the USSR flag atop the Kremlin again.

Also wtf, it seems these are the guys whose take on a bloody civil war that killed ten thousands and would have ended in becoming a USSR puppet dictatorship is "Shame we didn't win."

22 minutes ago, Toth said:

Well, good to know that the German Linke aren't the only European leftist party that has a jarring disconnect with reality and is so desperately begging for the moment Putin hisses the USSR flag atop the Kremlin again.

Also wtf, it seems these are the guys whose take on a bloody civil war that killed ten thousands and would have ended in becoming a USSR puppet dictatorship is "Shame we didn't win."

If it was just Linke. The SPD isn't any different. The only party in Germany that's halfway credibly anti-Putin are the Greens. Everybody else wants Ukraine to surrender ASAP so they can go back to business as usual. 

9 minutes ago, Loge said:

If it was just Linke. The SPD isn't any different. The only party in Germany that's halfway credibly anti-Putin are the Greens. Everybody else wants Ukraine to surrender ASAP so they can go back to business as usual. 

Well, there is a certain difference in how a good chunk of Die Linke somehow thinks Russia is still big daddy USSR that needs help against the imperialist class enemy (and hiding that attitude beneath a veil of 'We are just pacifists!'), while a good chunk of the SPD while having a clearer grasp on what Russia is, are just as deep in the pocket of Putin as Schröder is. Quite a while ago there was that extremely troubling story going on about party trips to Russia and shit. Though I still have the hope that Scholz proves pragmatic enough to keep a firm stand against invasions.

[mod] I realise that not all English speakers understand this. But using the first four letters of Pakistan to describe people or places from that country is a very nasty racial slur in the UK and elsewhere. Don't do it, please. Thanks. [/mod]

8 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Who is this Irish MEP arguing against providing arms to Ukraine and against sanctions on Russia?

Clare Daly and Mick Wallace.

Well.

This isn't far off...

9 hours ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

Not your typical Irish MEP traditionally (although, now we have 2 of the same ilk).  I struggle to parse what she wants.  Effectively appeasement because NATO is evil.

9 minutes ago, Padraig said:

Clare Daly and Mick Wallace.

Well.

This isn't far off...

Not your typical Irish MEP traditionally (although, now we have 2 of the same ilk).  I struggle to parse what she wants.  Effectively appeasement because NATO is evil.

They’re Tankies?

On 12/6/2021 at 2:32 PM, DireWolfSpirit said:

I'm not anxious to eat these newly thriving shrimp from the Pacific Garbage Patch.

Sad thing is it was always going to be the case that some life forms will start ingesting that garbage. And then the cycle of spreading through the foodchain begins.

We will eventually be ingesting our own plastic garbage, I guess that is our deserved karma for mindless consumption in the first place.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/mar/24/microplastics-found-in-human-blood-for-first-time

1 hour ago, mormont said:

[mod] I realise that not all English speakers understand this. But using the first four letters of Pakistan to describe people or places from that country is a very nasty racial slur in the UK and elsewhere. Don't do it, please. Thanks. [/mod]

That was my mistake, sincere apologies, had no idea it had a derogatory connotation.

Let me try again.

Pakistan's PM out-

Islamabad, Pakistan  (CNN) - Pakistan's Prime Minister Imran Khan has been ousted as the country's leader following a vote of no confidence over allegations of economic mismanagement and mishandling of the country's foreign policy, bringing an end to his tumultuous term in office.

28 minutes ago, Padraig said:

Doesn't that imply Putin is a Communist?  I'm not very familiar with that terminology.

I think there are people in the “Tankie” column instinctively supporting Putin because they traditionally supported Russian communism.  I cannot see how this person claimed the Russians would never invade and that the build up on the Ukrainian border was “entirely defensive in nature” can now, with a straight face, argue that we shouldn’t provide arms to Ukraine and shouldn’t sanction Russia.

This person is denying reality as far as I can tell.

12 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

a decent part of the left(not even all or a strong majority) is reactionary when it comes to America.

Again not true.  You too know nothing about the USA and the so-called left (which many times you have demonstrated in many areas on many threads).  Sheesh.

At best you are talking about a situation decades ago.  That has changed enormously in the last decades.  It is the fascist civil war takeovers  that are all about supporting Putin.

Archived