Best thing you have seen on the internet today.

LynnS

On 11/22/2021 at 5:18 PM, A wilding said:

Totally agree. That was the biggest one for me as well.

An add-on: due to those essays I began this holiday weekend to re-watch, after a very long time, the Battle of Helms Deep on screen, and re-read this section in print.  I see it all with a much deeper appreciation on both sides.  What I didn't get, starting with my first reading as a barely more than a child -- holy cow -- because of course I didn't know anything coz, you know a kid.  Now lOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOng after being a kid, and hopefully having learned, kept learning, keep learning, it's all so much deeper.

And then there's this -- it's that time of year, when I always re-read the LOtR trilogy, and used to re-watch Jackson's trilogy, but quit for a very long time -- it's kind of comforting to be doing this again, in These Times.

@Zorral It does help me appreciate the mechanics of the battle a lot better (I enjoyed watching him rip the timelines and logistics to shreds....but how does he know how much time has passed or how long Theoden has to get to Minas Tirith? Saying he has only 48 hours to get to Minas Tirith is pretty specific and it's not like they helpfully provide dates and months.....)

2 hours ago, Zorral said:

And then there's this -- it's that time of year, when I always re-read the LOtR trilogy, and used to re-watch Jackson's trilogy, but quit for a very long time -- it's kind of comforting to be doing this again, in These Times

I tend to rewatch these as well.  I'm fascinated with the appendices especially the set made for the Hobbit.  I'm also a fan of commentaries.

Bret Devereaux delivers again, at The Bulwark, with an essay,  "Ancient Insurrections—and Ours.
Would-be tyrants keep trying until they succeed."  
It illuminates what happened here on January 6th, with a variety of insurrections in Ancient Greece.

https://www.thebulwark.com/ancient-insurrections-and-ours/

... Another key lesson from this history should be even more sobering: Would-be tyrants keep trying until they succeed. ....

"Camels kicked out of beauty pageant for using Botox, lose $66M prize"

https://nypost.com/2021/12/08/botox-pumped-camels-disqualified-from-beauty-contest-in-biggest-bust-yet/

.... More than 40 camels were booted from a Saudi Arabian beauty pageant after getting administered Botox, hormones and other appearance enhancing techniques. This marks the biggest crackdown in the contest’s history.

“The club is keen to halt all acts of tampering and deception in the beautification of camels,” the Saudi Press Agency said of the dromedary disqualification which occurred at the annual Abdulaziz Camel Festival, near Riyadh, where breeders compete for nearly $66 million in prize money, the Washington Post reported. The camels are judged on the shape of their heads, necks, humps, dress and postures — think the camel equivalent of the Westminster dog show.

In order to enhance their camels’ countenance, dozens of breeders had reportedly stretched out the lips and noses, pumped the dromedary’s muscles full of hormones and tried to make their heads bigger with Botox — a substance that has been banned from camel competitions due to past infractions. Other verboten measures included inflating body parts with rubber bands and using fillers to relax their faces. ....

Something I saw a few days ago and meant to post: there's a baggage handler at the Vancouver Airport who does TikTok videos showing how things are done behind the scenes. He's @djsugue if you want to look him up, but here's an article that has one of his videos showing how baggage handlers load baggage on a plane. As I watched it I thought, crikey, really? But of course it has to be done manually...

https://www.narcity.com/vancouver/people-on-tiktok-are-mesmerized-after-a-vancouver-airport-worker-shares-what-happens-to-bags

Archived