Best thing you have seen on the internet today.

LynnS

On 12/23/2021 at 1:45 PM, Zorral said:

https://slate.com/human-interest/2021/12/victorian-christmas-cards-history-goodall-company.html

The examples of the Victorian Christmas cards make it worth scrolling through, even if one isn't that interested in the history of our Christmas traditions -- which for reasons I have been since a kid. :dunno:  From the first viewing of such illos in those very old magazines in Greatgrandmother's basement Victorian era popular art fascinated me.  It was always just somehow off kilter from the expected, at least the expected as I knew it then.

Thank you for posting this link.  Not only was it interesting but it yielded one heck of a surprise.  We now know that GRRM's winter rose is the hellibore!  Also called the christmas rose.  :D

13 hours ago, Zorral said:

My first card? I think I was about 4 or 5 and could not even read yet. I still went every week so I could get Babar books and look at the pictures.

Our mom took us in to get our first library card the first weekend of our first week in the first grade.  It was a Family Tradition. Ha!  I still have it in a box of mementos, though I'm not sure where the box is, though I think it is among the many other boxes in storage.

My first library card was a bright yellow "juvenile" card for the local college's library, where the top floor balcony stacks comprised the children's section.  Sitting way up there above the rest of the library in the cool air, on the mahogany chairs as a stop on the way home from baseball practice, smelling the book dust and scanning a selection before getting my choices stamped was excellent.

My second was a red one for the Bookmobile, which would park on Main Street between the bank, the doctor's office, and the drug store every Wednesday afternoon.  The black lady who drove the Bookmobile for the county library system would ask me which of the books I had liked, and she would pick out 30 or 40 books that she thought would suit me every week.  She called me "Honey Child" and was happy to help me load them onto my bike for the trip home, and she was probably responsible for shaping my tastes in popular literature with her selections.  Thank you, Bookmobile Lady!

"Archaeology
A Hungry Badger Dug Up a Stash of Ancient Roman Coins From a Cave in Spain and Archaeologists Are Amazed (the Badger Less So)
A historic blizzard also played a role in the find."

https://news.artnet.com/art-world/badger-discovers-roman-coins-2058585

The coins date from the 3rd through the 5th centuries, probably buried somewhat later, during the 'barbarian' invasions of Iberia, the tipping point out of late antiquity to early 'dark ages' medieval eras.

Archived