Best thing you have seen on the internet today.

LynnS

"An ode to those women who say what we’re thinking"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2022/02/04/masks-youngkin-amtrak-black-jesus-manspreading-amtrak-safeway/

. . . . Thursday was when Stacey Patton, a.k.a. Black Jesus, made an appearance on the Northeast Regional headed to Trenton.

Patton, a journalism professor at Howard University, book author and frequent contributor to The Washington Post, was in business class on an Amtrak train from D.C. when she decided she’d had enough of The Guy.

You’ve seen him. Manspreading, maskless, perhaps, voice booming through the quiet of a train, Metro, bus, space.

She’s a master storyteller, so I’ll let her tell the tale, as she posted it on social media:

“There is a white man.

Southern.

Loud.

And important.

Let's call him Chuck.

I'm about 8 rows behind him. He's been on his cellphone since we boarded. He's talking loud, as if he's in his home office. Everyone else in the train car seems unbothered. But I'm annoyed.

“HERE'S MY CELL NUMBER. SEVEN ZERO THREE … ”

I write down his number.

I dial *67 then 1-703- …

“GIMME A SEC. GOT ANOTHER CALL COMIN' THROUGH. YELLL-OOOO?”

I whisper. “Hello, this is Black Jesus calling. I'm riding on Northeast bound train 176. I hope y'all find the right interns for your search. You will make it to New Brunswick in time for that teams meeting. I also think your pitch for the new project, with some minor adjustments, will be well received by the rest of the team. And I recommend either the Frog and the Peach or Steakhouse 85 for dinner tonight. But for right now, Imma need you to lower your voice while riding this train. In my name, Amen.”

Click.

Dude actually stood up and looked around frantically. I kept looking at my computer like I’m not Black Jesus.”

That post quickly went viral, with more than 30,000 shares and nearly nine thousand people saying “Amen” and “Thank you.”  . . . . .

Archeologists uncovered ancient Egyptian 'notepads' mostly from the Ptolemaic dynasty.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/archaeologists-uncover-18000-ancient-egyptian-ostraca-180979543/

A large number of the fragments appear to be linked to an ancient school. Over a hundred feature repetitive inscriptions on both the front and back, leading the team to speculate that students who misbehaved were forced to write out lines—a schoolroom punishment still used (and satirized in popular culture) today.

Imagine having to write "I will not talk loudly in class" 100 times on pottery. :laugh:

Read this yesterday and find it really exciting.  The survival story of Shackleton and his crew after the loss of the ship Endurance is truly incredible and I hope they find the ship.   The book Endurance by Alfred Lansing is really good and if one wants a true story of incredible survival, and yes, endurance, this book is a good choice. 

A team of scientists has announced an expedition to find the remains of Ernest Shackleton's long-lost ship, the Endurance, below the dark and icy waters of the Antarctic Ocean.

Shackleton and his crew abandoned the ship in 1915 after it was crushed by ice. The Endurance now lies somewhere at the bottom of the Weddell Sea, a large bay in the western Antarctic. Its exact location remains unknown, but a new expedition plans to find it.

Shackleton's Endurance: The impossible search for the greatest shipwreck

book link goes to Thrift books

article link goes to BBC

45 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Archeologists uncovered ancient Egyptian 'notepads' mostly from the Ptolemaic dynasty.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/archaeologists-uncover-18000-ancient-egyptian-ostraca-180979543/

Imagine having to write "I will not talk loudly in class" 100 times on pottery. :laugh:

In October I saw the same thing at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, in the Late Antiquity - 800 CE galleries -- from schools, where students in monastery schools, and other sorts of schools, repeat over and over lines from the classics, particularly Homer and Virgil, on pot sherds.  To practice their writing.  These were found particularly across northern Africa and very particularly in upriver Egypt and down river Alexandria.

Archived