Dane Whitman and Kit Harrington

Ok this maybe reading a little too much into things but recently the movie Eternals came out with Game of Thrones alums Richard Madden and Kit Harrington playing some major characters in the movie. Both of them were fantastic in their portrayals of Robb Stark and Jon Snow on the show and their performances in the Movie are stunning. One major coincidence that I saw in the movie was that Kit Harrington played Dane Whitman. Dane Whitman and House Dayne have many similarities such as the Ebony Blade and Dawn which are both carved from Fallen Stars. Dane and Dayne both sound super similar. I haven't found any specific SSMs saying that Martin influenced House Dayne off Dane Whitman but the similarities are very prevalent. Kit Harrington plays Dane Whitman and also plays Jon Snow. Is this specifically hinting something in the series, like Jon's Dayne heritage or possibly foreshadowing that he could wield Dawn? Let me know if you think that is me going tinfoil into a mere coincidence. Also the wiki says this

Dawn may be a reference by George R. R. Martin to the Ebony Blade, a sword carved from a fallen meteor and wielded by Dane Whitman, a comic book superhero known as the Black Knight.

Yes, I think that one is a stretch. Yeah, George knows about the Black Knight and Dane Whitman, of course he does, but it feels to me like the name is more related to the motifs of the family (Dawn, "Day" in "Dayne") moreso than a nod.

If he had made it a black sword, I think the theory would solid enough to canonize in the Wiki. As it stands, seems really dubious.

1 hour ago, Brynden"Bloodraven" Rivers said:

Ok this maybe reading a little too much into things but recently the movie Eternals came out with Game of Thrones alums Richard Madden and Kit Harrington playing some major characters in the movie. Both of them were fantastic in their portrayals of Robb Stark and Jon Snow on the show and their performances in the Movie are stunning. One major coincidence that I saw in the movie was that Kit Harrington played Dane Whitman. Dane Whitman and House Dayne have many similarities such as the Ebony Blade and Dawn which are both carved from Fallen Stars. Dane and Dayne both sound super similar. I haven't found any specific SSMs saying that Martin influenced House Dayne off Dane Whitman but the similarities are very prevalent. Kit Harrington plays Dane Whitman and also plays Jon Snow. Is this specifically hinting something in the series, like Jon's Dayne heritage or possibly foreshadowing that he could wield Dawn? Let me know if you think that is me going tinfoil into a mere coincidence. Also the wiki says this

it's a coincidence for sure.

1 hour ago, Ran said:

Yes, I think that one is a stretch. Yeah, George knows about the Black Knight and Dane Whitman, of course he does, but it feels to me like the name is more related to the motifs of the family (Dawn, "Day" in "Dayne") moreso than a nod.

If he had made it a black sword, I think the theory would solid enough to canonize in the Wiki. As it stands, seems really dubious.

Is the color of the Ebony Blade black? I haven't read the comics so I wouldn't know.

1 hour ago, Ran said:

I feel like there are too many similarities for George not have drawn upon that particular character.

I've always taken a sword from a falling star to be more so reminiscent of King's Tut blade of iron, believed to be from a meteorite.  I can't be the only one that thinks of that instead of other fantasy/sci-fi/comic inventions, can I?  Dawn has always reminded me of the blade found in King Tut's tomb, thinking it a nod to real history.  

I once saw a comment that said Arthur Dayne's name directly comes from a name used in Tolkien's works, something like 'Arthurdein', or dunno. Now I wonder, was it just a random guy talking BS or is there actually something. Apparently googling it gives me nothing. 

14 hours ago, Brynden"Bloodraven" Rivers said:

I feel like there are too many similarities for George not have drawn upon that particular character.

George was a really big comic book fan, especially in the 60's.  I think he attended the first ever comic book convention.  So it wouldn't be a surprise at all if part of his inspiration from Arthur Dayne to have come from Roy Thomas' take on the character in the late 60's in a story titled "the Black Knight Reborn" where it's revealed that the Black Knight came from a lineage of persons assuming that title, and the sword was forged from a meteor.  And yes, while GRRM most probably has additional inspirations for the last name of "Dayne" it wouldn't surprise me if it's also a bit of a nod to the comic book character.

Another poster, can't recall who, had a thread about some similarities to Bran's storyline and some early 70's story arcs from Dr. Strange comics.

Archived