What did Aegon the Conqueror had that Daenerys won't have ?

Aegon’s dragons were bigger, and he had two loyal riders.  He understood the Seven Kingdoms well and was in his early 30’s.  And he was a man.

Dany has none of those advantages.  But, she will have huge armies, and she will be arriving in a country that is exhausted by war.

8 hours ago, SeanF said:

Dany has none of those advantages.  But, she will have huge armies, and she will be arriving in a country that is exhausted by war.

Who don't trust her or her horde of foreigners. Besides, armies can be beaten. Dragons... Not so much

I still think that just as other user pointed out, her main issue will be that she's being forced a prophecy of distrust. Aegon knew he had a lot of people he could trust and rely, to the point that even after losing Orys, he barely had to rule at all. Dany can't even fully trust in Barristan.

We don't really know how big Drogon, Viserion, and Rhaegal are when they make their arrival in Westeros with Daenerys.  They may be much larger than Aegon's dragons.  So the only real advantage for Aegon was his personal fighting ability.  Aegon was a big fellow and a warrior.  All the other advantages are with Daenerys.  She is a great strategists.  She won the battle against the Titan's Bastard with guile and cleverness.  I don't think Aegon or anybody else was that smart at 15 years of age.  Daenerys is a prodigy when it comes to tactics and strategies.  Daenerys is also the Azor Ahai.  Aegon was just a successful warlord who conquered a bunch of petty men playing at being kings. 

On 11/19/2021 at 6:24 AM, Widowmaker 811 said:

Dany is Azor Ahai.

Gods be good, this must be the first thing we both agree upon. 

On 11/19/2021 at 9:43 PM, Frosted Lucky Charms said:

In her favor, Dany is already a ruler and a Queen. She is a Khaleesi of the Dothraki. She has seen much of the world and its people. Her Infantry, Cavalry, and future Navy will be better than his. She will have an awesome team consisting of Dothraki, Westerosi, Ghiscari, and others. She is very intelligent. She is fire-resistant. She has Quaithe, Missandei, Barristan, Greyworm, Vic, and Jorah. And three elephants. 

My thread already explained why Dany's military capabilities in terms of Dothraki and Unsullied will have a difficult time in Westeros. Furthermore, on the elephants....killing an elephant is rather easy if you have plenty of archers and throwing spears. All you need to do is freak it out, and bim. The rest of your post I agree with, for the most part. 

Dany has a few disadvantages: the military and the political (PR) aspects. Bringing Dothraki is not going to look good when they burn and rape a bunch. Furthermore, Aegon I spent quite a lot of time studying Westeros, had three fully grown dragons and two sister-wives he could trust completely. Dany's advisors, for the most part, want something else. However, she does at least have Barristan and the parts of Westeros most inclined to be against her are weakened and ripped up (except for Dorne, depends on how they react). 

6 minutes ago, Jaenara Belarys said:

My thread already explained why Dany's military capabilities in terms of Dothraki and Unsullied will have a difficult time in Westeros. Furthermore, on the elephants....killing an elephant is rather easy if you have plenty of archers and throwing spears. All you need to do is freak it out, and bim. The rest of your post I agree with, for the most part. 

Dany has a few disadvantages: the military and the political (PR) aspects. Bringing Dothraki is not going to look good when they burn and rape a bunch. Furthermore, Aegon I spent quite a lot of time studying Westeros, had three fully grown dragons and two sister-wives he could trust completely. Dany's advisors, for the most part, want something else. However, she does at least have Barristan and the parts of Westeros most inclined to be against her are weakened and ripped up (except for Dorne, depends on how they react). 

I expect she’ll have those families who lose out to Aegon/Arianne which means the Tyrells/Hightowers/Redwynes.

45 minutes ago, Jaenara Belarys said:

Probably, it at least solves her military problems. 

It won't solve all of her military problems but it will be at least a big military help and an even greater logistics help with a portion of the Reach's military but especially lots of food, wood and money at her disposal especially precious during winter as well as having the biggest and richest city/harbor of Westeros (even with King's Landing) to serve as a naval base.

17 hours ago, Terrorthatflapsinthenight9 said:

It won't solve all of her military problems but it will be at least a big military help and an even greater logistics help with a portion of the Reach's military but especially lots of food, wood and money at her disposal especially precious during winter as well as having the biggest and richest city/harbor of Westeros (even with King's Landing) to serve as a naval base.

Yes, it won't solve all her military problems, but it at least helps make sure that her men aren't only idiotic Mongol wannabes and a bunch of highly disciplined eunuchs. 

On 11/20/2021 at 9:01 AM, Walda said:

fixed it for you

Good point.

She has already had a penis and will definitely have another in short order.

18 hours ago, Jaenara Belarys said:

You're operating under the presumption that the Dothraki will behave the same way in Westeros that they always have in Essos.

Daenerys has established herself as someone who is unafraid of disciplines her soldiers and followers. And she protects the fallen and the defeated. While I do see her becoming tougher and more ruthless, I don't see her condoning the mass, indiscriminate burning, pillaging and raping of people she plans to rule over in a land that she wants to reside in.

Back in A Game of Thrones, she was making them change their behavior. And that was way back when she had very little power as someone's trophy wife.

Dany is a revolutionary. She might put the Dothraki in armor and leathers and turn them into real Mongols.

Daenerys is the protagonists of the series. Whatever obstacles come her way can be overcome. Knowing the threat of the Others, she will do what needs to be done to rebuild Westeros. The debacle caused by the Starks and the Lannisters notwithstanding, Westeros will be whole again. I hope it will require the eradication of the dire wolves and the lions. 

Daenerys has built a powerful force in a short amount of time. Many former slaves are in training. She is projected to have an army that harkens back to the ancient days. An army which combines the best of the Valyrians and the Ghiscari. Dragons and Unsullied. Every noble house wants to come out on the winning side. Most are willing to sell their great lords for a chance to replace them. It will be very easy for Daenerys to promise the Redwynes, Yronwoods, Dustins, Freys, Crakehalls of the world a promotion in exchange for fealty. She has the most to offer. The Targaryens have built a 300 year legacy. Which Aegon did not have when he started. Dragon is growing very, very fast. He will be formidable by the time Daenerys goes to Westeros.  It will not be long before many of the noble houses send their sons east to propose to the Dragon Queen. 

On 11/21/2021 at 2:38 PM, Lilac & Gooseberries said:

Brain?

I'd say that Dany, while being more naive, has as much brains.

Aegon only dealt with sectarian killings and total warfare once... And he lost that one too.

Even if more divided, the Westeros Dany's going to find is far more sectarian than Aegon ever dealt with.

1 hour ago, frenin said:

I'd say that Dany, while being more naive, has as much brains.

Aegon only dealt with sectarian killings and total warfare once... And he lost that one too.

Even if more divided, the Westeros Dany's going to find is far more sectarian than Aegon ever dealt with.

Can't gave away her plans to her enemy. She has no brain.

21 hours ago, Quoth the raven, said:

We don't really know how big Drogon, Viserion, and Rhaegal are when they make their arrival in Westeros with Daenerys.  They may be much larger than Aegon's dragons.  So the only real advantage for Aegon was his personal fighting ability.  Aegon was a big fellow and a warrior.  All the other advantages are with Daenerys.  She is a great strategists.  She won the battle against the Titan's Bastard with guile and cleverness.  I don't think Aegon or anybody else was that smart at 15 years of age.  Daenerys is a prodigy when it comes to tactics and strategies.  Daenerys is also the Azor Ahai.  Aegon was just a successful warlord who conquered a bunch of petty men playing at being kings. 

Daenerys' dragons are much younger than Aegon and his sisters' dragons were 300 years ago. Balerion was a century old at the time of the conquest. Even if Daenerys take years to go to Westeros, Rhaegal, Drogon and Viserion shouldn't come close to the size of the conqueror's dragons.

15 minutes ago, Lilac & Gooseberries said:

Can't gave away her plans to her enemy. She has no brain.

Oh, she has no brains? How about conquering Slaver's Bay? Sure, she's not good at ruling, but you can't say she has zero brains. I'd say she does pretty good for someone her age, with her experiences.  

Spoiler

Or is this your typical hate of Dany? 

20 hours ago, SeanF said:

I expect she’ll have those families who lose out to Aegon/Arianne which means the Tyrells/Hightowers/Redwynes.

I could easily see the Hightowers and the Redwynes but the Tyrells? Why would Daenerys trust them for even one second? They conspired to usurp the throne and crown Renly. As soon as Renly died, they turned around and joined with the Lannisters. If they lose to fAegon that means they couldn't even hold onto the throne once they had it. And what if Daenerys decides fAegon is legitimate and the Tyrells resisted fAegon? It would be so much easier and safer for Daenerys to unite with some other powerful house from the Reach, like the Hightowers, and offer them the Reach for overthrowing the Tyrells.

2 hours ago, Groo said:

I could easily see the Hightowers and the Redwynes but the Tyrells? Why would Daenerys trust them for even one second? They conspired to usurp the throne and crown Renly. As soon as Renly died, they turned around and joined with the Lannisters. If they lose to fAegon that means they couldn't even hold onto the throne once they had it. And what if Daenerys decides fAegon is legitimate and the Tyrells resisted fAegon? It would be so much easier and safer for Daenerys to unite with some other powerful house from the Reach, like the Hightowers, and offer them the Reach for overthrowing the Tyrells.

The Tyrells never rebelled, plotted or did anything against her and her family, and because they'll be motivated by the same things than her: revenge and retrieval of their power and she'd be foolish to refuse their help (the wealth of Highgarden, lots of foods and men to fight for her) and alliegance since it would send a negative message to the houses that may be willing to join her later than to reject people who were willing to follow her, especially as the majority of the houses willing to accept a Targaryen back will most certainely side with Aegon giving her only a limited choice of westerosi followers, as well as making herself look no better than Robert who was very lenient toward those bending the knee to him even if they were his enemies before.

Archived