US Politics - Hot takes from my cold dead hands

Larry of the Lawn

6 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Tragical. It’s a callous move to sneer at the idea of caring about that.

Not nearly as callous as your constant attempts to deny the humanity of the people Rittenhouse shot. Their lives to you have less value than some random small businesses, which by the way are likely insured.

Hey quick question those Korean business owners in the la riots do you sneer at them?

Constantly bringing this up isn't you making a good point. It's a dumbass comparison.

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

Not nearly as callous as your constant attempts to deny the humanity of the people Rittenhouse shot.

I never got a straight forward answer on the level of violence his attackers you thought his attackers were morally obliged.

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

It's a dumbass comparison.

Oh because they’re property couldn’t be rebuilt?

7 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I never got a straight forward answer on the level of violence his attackers you thought his attackers were morally obliged.

There you go again, calling them his attackers as if that's true. And if their goal was to disarm someone with an illegally obtained gun who is shooting at people, yeah, kick his ass if that's what it takes to get his gun away from him.

Oh because they’re property couldn’t be rebuilt?

*their

7 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

It’d be callous to chuckle at the thought people being waterboarded. “It’s just water on your face!”

You don’t have explicitly say really bad thing bad. Just don’t frame bad thing as benign or trivial.

Yeah. It's kind of like how with car accidents everyone talks about the fatalities, which implies that the increased insurance premiums are benign and trivial.  It's really disgusting if you think about it.  Maybe we should do some self-reflection and think about how we're all complicit in this.  You wouldn't be laughing about cracked phones if your car insurance went up 12%.

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

There you go again, calling them his attackers as if that's true.

Did the people he shoot not attack him?

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

And if their goal was to disarm someone with an illegally obtained gun who is shooting at people, yeah, kick his ass if that's what it takes to get his gun away from him.

I’m going to ask you this one last time; where are you getting this motivation for any of them? 
If you can’t substantiate it then it’s no more a plausible explanation than they were angry at his shoes.

4 minutes ago, 1066 Larry said:

Yeah. It's kind of like how with car accidents everyone talks about the fatalities, which implies that the increased insurance premiums are benign and trivial.  It's really disgusting if you think about it.  Maybe we should do some self-reflection and think about how we're all complicit in this.  You wouldn't be laughing about cracked phones if your car insurance went up 12%.

Why are you so offended at the idea of their being an awknowledement that riots over racial injustice can and often do hurt real people? 

The Specials addressed both police brutality and footwear fashion in the classic "Do Nothing":

Each day I walk along this lonely street
Trying to find, find a future
New pair of shoes are on my feet
Cause fashion is my only culture

Nothing ever change, oh no
Nothing ever change

People say to me just be yourself
It makes no sense to follow fashion
How could I be anybody else
I don't try, I've got no reason

Nothing ever change

I'm just living in a life without meaning
I walk and walk, do nothing
I'm just living in a life without feeling
I talk and talk, say nothing

Nothing ever change

I walk along this same old lonely street
Still trying to find, find a reason
Policeman comes and smacks me in the teeth
I don't complain, it's not my function

Nothing ever change

They're just living in a life without meaning
They're just playing in a life without thinking
They talk and talk, say nothing
I walk and walk, I'm dreaming
I talk and talk, say nothing
I'm just living in a life without meaning

Just now, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Ah. You get you can emphasize with the people who suffer from the riots(like losing their livelihoods)  and people of color’s concerns of police brutality right?

I am anti-police brutality and pro- people suffering from riots.  I hope everyone suffers from many riots.  My christmas wish this year is that I personally suffer from a riot.  For christmas gifts for friends and family, I'm orchestrating a riot to destroy all of their property, place of business, and dreams.  

On another topic.  Julius Jones seems quite guilty to me.  It seems a very odd case that has gotten so much attention and celebrity involvement. 

His two previous lawyers gave sworn depositions that he told them he was not at home the night of the carjacking, making his 'alibi' lack credibiltiy.  His DNA and only his DNA was found on the murder weapon and the red bandana, stashed in his closet. 

I get that there might be a smidgen of doubt that possibly it was the accomplice who did the shooting, but if so, how did he get Jones' DNA conveniently on the murder weapon? 

This feels a lot like the Roger Keith Coleman case, where everyone was sure that the DNA would exonerate him but they did the test after his death and it proved his guilt, even though he went to his death proclaiming himself an innocent martyr to the system.  

8 minutes ago, 1066 Larry said:

pro- people suffering from riots

Again why are you so offended at just minimizing the pain of real people?

You know what that was a loaded question and I apologize for that. I know you and some other well-meaning progressive don’t want the movement for racial just in America to be relegated because there will be a degree of violent civil unrest. I just think when talking about the people often hurt in the riots directly or indirectly they’re pain shouldn’t be trivialized.

18 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Again why are you so offended at just minimizing the pain of real people?

A somewhat outdated classic example of a leading question goes "have you stopped beating your wife?"

In case all of my responses to you have been taken as anything else, I've been trying to demonstrate (apparently poorly) that no one is minimizing or disregarding the [damage] caused by riots when they scoff at Rittenhouse protecting property.  You're choosing to ascribe intent to the lack of lamentations about the suffering caused by the riots.  If I didn't know any better I'd just call this concern trolling. 

12 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

On another topic.  Julius Jones seems quite guilty to me.  It seems a very odd case that has gotten so much attention and celebrity involvement. 

His two previous lawyers gave sworn depositions that he told them he was not at home the night of the carjacking, making his 'alibi' lack credibiltiy.  His DNA and only his DNA was found on the murder weapon and the red bandana, stashed in his closet. 

I get that there might be a smidgen of doubt that possibly it was the accomplice who did the shooting, but if so, how did he get Jones' DNA conveniently on the murder weapon? 

This feels a lot like the Roger Keith Coleman case, where everyone was sure that the DNA would exonerate him but they did the test after his death and it proved his guilt, even though he went to his death proclaiming himself an innocent martyr to the system.  

Are you talking about the public defender who doubted the alibi?  The DNA isn't much because Jordan could have just wrapped the weapon in one of Jones bandanas.  They were sharing a car and I think Jordan was living with the Joneses as well 

5 minutes ago, 1066 Larry said:

I've been trying to demonstrate (apparently poorly) that no one is minimizing the or disregarding the dance caused by riots when they scoff at Rittenhouse protecting property. 

Yes, they are. Why would anyone see any value in defending a used car-lot? The framing of the question implies a triviality to something that can matter people in some significant ways.

Archived