Why aren't there any dinosaurs in westeros/essos ?

Falcon2909

Well if Barth was right (I agree with his book) about humans having (Valyrian bloodmages) muddled with spells, sorcery and genetics to breed dragons from wyverns/firewyrms then there's no need for dino like creatures in Planetos evolution. We have tales of Sea Dragons in the Sunset Sea and Ice ones in the Shivering Sea aport from the wyrms and wyverns mentioned, there are crocodiles in Sothoryos and giant marsh/swamp lizards in the Neck. So rich diversity, no need for Dinos to complicate (and dullen, no fire, meh, duh) things and push the plot further than needed (wait few more years for winds lol)

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/18/2021 at 5:08 PM, Falcon2909 said:

We know there are dinosaurs in Sothoryos. Why aren't there any in Westeros/Essos?

Theory: dragons finished them all, and as sothoryos has no dragons they were safe from harm

Wait where in the text or wiki does it say there are dinosaurs in Sothoryos.

9 hours ago, Brynden"Bloodraven" Rivers said:

Wait where in the text or wiki does it say there are dinosaurs in Sothoryos.

World of ice and fire, sealord keeps a one in his zoo (terrible walking lizards with scythes for claws.) , GRRM even confirms it in an interview.

• 2 months later...

In general, Sothoryos has dinosaur-like creatures since it's an exotic place similar to Africa in the Medieval European world view. Thus I would say that either people simply think that there are dinosaurs there, because it's a foreign place, or there are dinosaurs there for the same reason that there are other large exotic animals in the tropic continents in our world.

Evolutionarily speaking, some scientists believe that there are still megafauna like elephants, rhinos, giraffes and so forth in Africa because they evolved along the early humans and were therefore able to adapt to and survive human hunting strategies, whereas the megafauna in Eurasia, like mammoths, were taken by surprise when humans migrated there with technology like spears and so forth.

Thus, one rational evolutionary explanation would be that primitive humans in Westeros and Essos directly or indirectly drove the dinosaurs to extinction several thousands or millions of years ago.

Or maybe these particular dinosaurs simply thrived better in warm, exotic environments and thus survived mainly in the warm, tropical and densely forested areas of Sothoryos, and not in the colder areas of Essos and Westeros. Or maybe there was some or several cataclysmic events akin to the Long Night or something else, but way before that, which drove the dinosaurs of Essos and Westeros extinct. That actually seems like the second best explanation to me.

(I am an amateur "paleontologist", so I know about how this works in real life. But GRRM isn't, of course, so he could just have whatever other reason for it. But in general, story-wise, it makes sense that there are dinosaurs and similar large creatures in remote, tropical areas with low levels of human habitation. And so forth and so forth...)

I tend to think that the dinosaurs were created in Gogossos, a former Valyrian colony right off the coast of Sothoryos infamous for its blood magic. The world book talks about how new tortures were created there and how slave women were mated to beasts to create half-human chimeras. The dinosaurs could have been released when the Red Death plauge destroyed the city.

Or maybe the original inhabitants of Yeen were responsible. The world book describes it as a huge, ancient city made up of black stone like Asshai and that every attempt to repopulate it has ended in tragedy. 

On 2/13/2022 at 5:28 AM, Lucia Targaryen said:

I tend to think that the dinosaurs were created in Gogossos, a former Valyrian colony right off the coast of Sothoryos infamous for its blood magic. The world book talks about how new tortures were created there and how slave women were mated to beasts to create half-human chimeras. The dinosaurs could have been released when the Red Death plauge destroyed the city.

Or maybe the original inhabitants of Yeen were responsible. The world book describes it as a huge, ancient city made up of black stone like Asshai and that every attempt to repopulate it has ended in tragedy. 

Why would the dinosaurs be created by people instead of simply existing and having evolved naturally? 

Tormund's ancestors ate them all to extinction, that's why. Tormund is ferocious in chicken eating, this is known. What's less known is he does so out of instinct, as he's coming from a long line of big chicken eaters. After all, what's a dinosaour, if not a very large chicken?

On 3/6/2022 at 1:20 PM, Corvo the Crow said:

Tormund's ancestors ate them all to extinction, that's why. Tormund is ferocious in chicken eating, this is known. What's less known is he does so out of instinct, as he's coming from a long line of big chicken eaters. After all, what's a dinosaour, if not a very large chicken?

Your explanation of the relationship between dinosaurs and birds is hereby appreciated, mylord. Although I still think that would have been on Essos or Sothoryos, long before Tormund's ancestors - the First Men - migrated over the arm of Dorne.

Also: Old Nan once told me that the sky is blue because we all live inside the eye of a giant chicken called MacChicken [Latin name: Megagallus rex]

Archived