Ghostbusters: Afterlife (May Have Spoilers!)

Jaxom 1974

There might have been an old thread, but I didn't feel like searching...

Just came from the theater and I thoroughly loved this movie. I thought it had exact the right tone and blend of nostalgia, whe telling its own story.  It isn't perfect, and the end is a little stretched with how the fight went with the convenient appearance from the past...but I could get past that as the basic concept of the story held up for me...

I knew about the stuff with the original guys appearing, but I didn't actually expect the stuff with Egon...

Loved it too.  Yep, agree with everything you said, though I was expecting that Egon stuff.

Honestly though with how many times the mom said "don't be yourself" to Phoebe I was expecting "Be yourself!" to be in the climax.

The second after-credits scene (which I missed because I left before that) was apparently a deleted scene from the original movie with Egon handing Jeanine a coin, then transitions to present day with Jeanine holding the coin, while in Winston's office.

4 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

The second after-credits scene (which I missed because I left before that) was apparently a deleted scene from the original movie with Egon handing Jeanine a coin, then transitions to present day with Jeanine holding the coin, while in Winston's office.

Yeah.  And it's definitely meant to play into a set up for some sort of sequel. Particularly as it had Winston reestablishing the fire house...

And I honestly wondered who mothered Callie...

I saw it earlier today and I liked the film. I think it's got fewer comedic scenes than the previous films did but when it tries it did manage to be very funny at times. I thought the story was interesting in its own right and also a good sequel to the original's plot. I thought Mckenna Grace was good as Phoebe and did feel like one of Egon's family.

Trying to include Harold Ramis in the film could have been handled badly but I thought the way they did it managed to feel poignant.

6 hours ago, Myrddin said:

Haven't seen it yet, but are you saying good writing is what made this movie good, not the gender of the main characters?

Yes...?

I've never actually watched the female led reboot, and carry zero opinions on it.  

It was a bad movie, but not because of the media or incel reason of an all female cast. Cast was fine. Writing was horrible. Just a bad movie.

I'm thrilled this new one is good. Sounds like they've tapped into what made the originals worked and expanded it.

Funny most of the reviews I’ve seen say Afterlife is a dull plodding slog of a movie that suddenly turns into a vomit inducing fan service montage. 

The 2016 Ghostbusters movie was absolutely dreadful but at the same time I don’t know if there is enough nostalgia for ghostbusters to sustain a whole movie dedicated to creating nostalgia.

Hopefully I’ll get to see it at some point but I’m surprised to see such positive reactions to Afterlife here

• 1 month later...

I finally got to see it!

I loved it.

I cried at the end. 

I did think just a couple of things would have made it even better...

If they would have played "Cleanin' Up the Town" while they were in the Ecto-1 going after Chomper.

They played "Savin' the Day" when the original team showed up.

But that would only have been a little extra gravy.  I'm more than fine with what we got!

I liked this movie a lot more than I thought I would. Enjoyed the actors, took a minute to recognize the grand daughter from her role on Young Sheldon. I think if this had come out without the 2016 movie ever existing then this would have done better. I don't know if I even finished the 2016 one and I was leery of this one because of the bad taste I still had in my mouth. Luckily someone told me to try it, that it was better than you'd expect and he was right.

Archived