The Wheel of Time: The Thread Reborn (Book Spoilers)

A True Kaniggit

Very cool scenes.

My personal nitpick is just how new and clean most clothes (and tents) look. But I'm very much on board with this now.

It's weird to be reminded of just how huge this world is every few scenes. And we've still barely scratched the surface too.
If they can keep this level of tension from now on, it's going to be quite epic.

I'm not really bothered by them making the identity of the dragon a mystery. On the contrary I'm rather curious to know when and how non-book readers will figure it out. At this point they've done a good job of not making it too obvious.

Spoiler

Quite frankly, without having read the books, I dunno how obvious it is that Ran used magic on that door. It could be just as likely that the darkfriend was lying when she said it was reinforced with iron.

What I don't get is how did Thom, Ran, and Mat end up with Ran's coat and horses so quickly and -seemingly- without a fight. Wouldn't someone have attacked them as they went to get the coat back? And how did they steal horses that easily when so many people saw them fighting with a barmaid that they -presumably- liked?

49 minutes ago, fionwe1987 said:

The Wise Ones don't have an institute for learning, so the apprentices are spread around. We meet Aviendha, Surandha and another two, all Egwene's friends. 

The Wise Ones, however, have a higher attrition rate of trainees, also. The Tower rarely lets someone test for Accepted before they're believed to be ready, ditto for the Shawl.

With the Wise Ones, their initial apprentice test seems fairly ok, but they do the same things Clan Chiefs do for the main test, and that proves hard for them too, though not as much as the men, apparently. Still, more deaths than in the Tower.  f

I'd always kind of likened the differences akin to the Tower being university whereas amongst the Aiel it's trade school. 

Very strong episode.

Logain took things up a notch. The actor playing him has presence, and the show is finally starting to give a glimpse at how significant the Dragon Reborn is.

The use of the One Power is being portrayed quite well, I thought.

The battle was a bit messy, guess that's down to budget.

Moraine's "raging sun" line was epic although

Spoiler

I was thinking of Rand when she said it, but they instead turned it into a kind of bait and switch where a lot of the non-book audience probably now think Nyneave is the Dragon Reborn

Lots of good stuff in this episode, but the ending didn't quite land for me, but overall pretty good. I like that the warders and Aes Sedai have actual personalities and are actually friends, that alone is such a good addition to the show. The book portrays it much more like Nyneave said - lapdogs on two legs, mainly because he doesn't spend time with them other than as set dressing. I am still not quite happy with the channeling portrayal. Dunno what would make me love it, but it's just ok.

I would have liked to spend more time with Rand/Mat/Thom, but I get it. The Birgitte doll was adorable and I loved it.

35 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

I'm not really bothered by them making the identity of the dragon a mystery. On the contrary I'm rather curious to know when and how non-book readers will figure it out. At this point they've done a good job of not making it too obvious.

Hide contents

I think it’s also helped (unfortunately) by the fact that Rand has been given the least characterization of them all so far.

3 hours ago, JEORDHl said:

Everyone's book memory is impressive.

Well the imminent arrival of the TV show and all of *waves hand at the thread discussion* this had me go back and start reading the series again (admittedly skimming over a lot of the more tedious parts). 

There is also the excellent Encyclopaedia WOT website, which was a fine source of information, but that was never completed for the final little bit of the books.  The good news is that the project has moved web addresses and work appears to be ongoing on completing the mammoth task of completing it.

Old website

http://www.encyclopaedia-wot.org

new version

http://photeus.com/ewot2/

Obviously, spoilers for future direction of the story will abound for those who have not read the books, although the website has done a pretty good job of hiding most story points behind sufficient spoiler warnings.

33 minutes ago, Arataniello said:

Well the imminent arrival of the TV show and all of *waves hand at the thread discussion* this had me go back and start reading the series again (admittedly skimming over a lot of the more tedious parts). 

There is also the excellent Encyclopaedia WOT website, which was a fine source of information, but that was never completed for the final little bit of the books.  The good news is that the project has moved web addresses and work appears to be ongoing on completing the mammoth task of completing it.

Old website

http://www.encyclopaedia-wot.org

new version

http://photeus.com/ewot2/

Obviously, spoilers for future direction of the story will abound for those who have not read the books, although the website has done a pretty good job of hiding most story points behind sufficient spoiler warnings.

I liked it well enough on first read [shame RJ died, however] but I don't know if you could pay me to reread :)

Definitely down for the show if it keeps improving though.

I'm glad nonreaders seem to be watching. Amazon streaming numbers are great!

Loved the 4th ep, but I'm afraid the Lan/Nyn scene was a miss for me. The dialogue just wasn't good enough. Why would Nyn remember that long of a speech when she doesn't know the language? Lan talking about Malkier was a bit too hopeful for me.

Logain's actor was a great. I'm quite with everything overall.

2 hours ago, Maia said:

Anyway, back to the show - why was Kerene worriedly glancing at Moiraine - twice, right before she was killed? It must be some kind of misdirection, but I didn't see Liandrin doing anything untoward, either.

Maybe just gauging to see if they were going to hold or not since they were having trouble with the shield on Logain?

~Nope, I rewound it slower and saw that Kerene actually put a weave over Moiraine and Liandrin, saving them. WoT wiki says Kerene is actually stronger than both of them so I guess she knew they wouldn't have been able to block Logain's attack.  It was very heroic. Too bad it was too fast for me to see the first time.

8 minutes ago, Gigei said:

Nope, I rewound it slower and saw that Kerene actually put a weave over Moiraine and Liandrin, saving them. WoT wiki says Kerene is actually stronger than both of them so I guess she knew they wouldn't have been able to block Logain's attack.  It was very heroic. Too bad it was too fast for me to see the first time.

Just depends on what you’re looking for I guess.  I saw her shield them but not herself (and didn’t understand why she couldn’t defend herself). :dunno: 

My own interpretation of what Karene did is that Aes Sedai, depending on their strength, are limited to how many weaves they can do at the same time. She was already holding a shield weave on Logain, and then chose to save the other two with two weaves. She couldn't have done another so save herself, too. Which technically also shows Logain having weaved three different projectiles.

4 hours ago, Gertrude said:

I would have liked to spend more time with Rand/Mat/Thom, but I get it. The Birgitte doll was adorable and I loved it.

The Birgitte doll seems to get a lot of mentions, what is the significance? Have I missed something or is it foreshadowing?

4 minutes ago, Scott_N said:

The Birgitte doll seems to get a lot of mentions, what is the significance? Have I missed something or is it foreshadowing?

Bookreader Easter egg. It might or might not get cut next season.

12 hours ago, Werthead said:

I'm not sure there is any continuity error. Moiraine and Lan arrive in the Two Rivers and immediately hit on five candidates: Nynaeve, Egwene, Mat, Perrin and Rand. Moiraine then immediately eliminates Nynaeve because she's 5-6 years too old. However, no-one else is privy to that information, so the Darkfriends assume it's still five possible candidates.

It took a bit for the penny to drop for me that even before the story starts, at least with the show interpretation, Moiraine has information that the Dark One does not. The DO knows the dragon has been born, Moiraine knows exactly when they were born and how old they are now. So she has the necessary info to rule out Nynaeve, but the DO does not even if he knows how old she is (which he might not).

14 hours ago, oberonus said:

moiraine said in the episode she cannot see logains weaves, so it may be possible that men can see womans weaves/strength in this turning of the wheel, or she is ta'veren and he is seeing her as ta'veren

Per the book consultant they have on staff, Logain was reacting to "an actual shockwave and debris coming from her explosion of saidar." So that seems to rule out the ta'veren glow theory.

1 hour ago, Gertrude said:

Something just clicked for me regarding a character's later storyline

Well, yes, but...

Spoiler

How are they going to get him to no longer care about getting back to his sisters in the first place?

The most obvious way would be another fridging, I suppose.

17 minutes ago, Ran said:

Well, yes, but...

Reveal hidden contents

How are they going to get him to no longer care about getting back to his sisters in the first place?

The most obvious way would be another fridging, I suppose.

I think the simplest approach is

Spoiler

Don't. Its a change to book Mat, but simply have it so he's hyper aware that him returning will add more risk than it adds safety. He says he wants to go back verbally but its just to try put distance so no one knows that's a way to get to him

35 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

I liked the farm scene wheee for a moment it looks like the dagger has driven Mat to kill the famiky - and then we see the Fade.

I also liked the clever misdirection with the dagger’s corruption making Thom think Mat can channel

Archived