The Wheel of Time: The Thread Reborn (Book Spoilers)

A True Kaniggit

I liked it as entertainment.  I don't need it to be 100% faithful to the book.  My wife hated it.  She could not follow and thought it was going too fast without any back story.  She only lasted one episode and then started the second and decided it was not for her in the Valda scene.  

My 17-year old daughter who I am trying to get to read the books liked it and was upset there were only 3 episodes.

I don't mind the actors, but do find the mole on Egwene's nose distracting :) .  I did like how they introduced the darkfriend at the end and like how Thom.  I read in one of the other posts here that there is no Caemlyn this season.  That's a bit disappointing. 

I also agree I was waiting for a "Blood and bloody ashes" or "Burn me".  I was waiting to explain to my daughter that's the equivalent of cursing in this world.

But I enjoyed seeing the books on the screen and the scenery was incredible.

Oh, and I hate what they did to Perrin.  No need for that at all. 

34 minutes ago, grozeng said:

I liked it as entertainment.  I don't need it to be 100% faithful to the book.  My wife hated it.  She could not follow and thought it was going too fast without any back story.  She only lasted one episode and then started the second and decided it was not for her in the Valda scene.  

My 17-year old daughter who I am trying to get to read the books liked it and was upset there were only 3 episodes.

I don't mind the actors, but do find the mole on Egwene's nose distracting :) .  I did like how they introduced the darkfriend at the end and like how Thom.  I read in one of the other posts here that there is no Caemlyn this season.  That's a bit disappointing. 

I also agree I was waiting for a "Blood and bloody ashes" or "Burn me".  I was waiting to explain to my daughter that's the equivalent of cursing in this world.

But I enjoyed seeing the books on the screen and the scenery was incredible.

Oh, and I hate what they did to Perrin.  No need for that at all. 

:lol:  Same!  I keep thinking its a nose piercing from certain angles then she turns her head and I remember its a mole!

So am I alone in thinking the fridged wife of Perrin was actually a darkfriend and likely we will get shown that at some point? Possibly a darkfriend with regrets as she is sad prior and is not really into him; but to me when he accidentally swings the axe into her she looks to me as if shes actually about to attack him since there are no more trollocs.  Plus the dream, wolves are shown to be 100% good in the books and I don't see why that would change, so the wolf eating/disembowling her is because she's a darkfriend.

2 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

So am I alone in thinking the fridged wife of Perrin was actually a darkfriend and likely we will get shown that at some point? Possibly a darkfriend with regrets as she is sad prior and is not really into him; but to me when he accidentally swings the axe into her she looks to me as if shes actually about to attack him since there are no more trollocs.  Plus the dream, wolves are shown to be 100% good in the books and I don't see why that would change, so the wolf eating/disembowling her is because she's a darkfriend.

Someone else pointed out that above.  I hope that is true and just not a poorly developed character that was not given any thought because of how little screen time.  I did not think of the wolfdream idea.  I like it.

I admit, Linda and I both laughed about the fact that she seemed to be abotu to whack him, but put that down to just bad choreography or her trying to help kill the trolloc or something. But we did see others speculate that she was trying to kill him.

I don't fully understand her behavior, though, if she's a darkfriend. She literally saves his life to start with, hitting the trolloc with a hammer when Perrin can't defend himself or something like that. 

14 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

10 minutes ago, grozeng said:

Someone else pointed out that above.  I hope that is true and just not a poorly developed character that was not given any thought because of how little screen time.  I did not think of the wolfdream idea.  I like it.

7 minutes ago, Ran said:

I admit, Linda and I both laughed about the fact that she seemed to be abotu to whack him, but put that down to just bad choreography or her trying to help kill the trolloc or something. But we did see others speculate that she was trying to kill him.

I don't fully understand her behavior, though, if she's a darkfriend. She literally saves his life to start with, hitting the trolloc with a hammer when Perrin can't defend himself or something like that. 

I'm almost positive someone linked a recent interview with Judkins where he denied her being a darkfriend.  Which if so, is a colossal waste of the character.

1 minute ago, Rhom said:

I'm almost positive someone linked a recent interview with Judkins where he denied her being a darkfriend.  Which if so, is a colossal waste of the character.

I was looking for this myself. 

Classic example of fans imagining up something to try and make sense of the nonsensical. (#headcannon! LOL, just pretend the material says what I want it to say!) No different from Indoctrination Theory or thinking thunderstorms are battles of the gods. 

The entire concept of the character is pants-on-head stupid, darkfriend wishery or no.

Sometimes the people making a property you like just don't know what the fuck they're doing.

19 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Perrin’s wife was pregnant wasn’t she?

Maybe she was just worried about becoming a mother.

I don't remember that... but that might be because I don't always understand all the fake English accent talky talky!

Which is another gripe... English accents are pretty much standard for all high fantasy.  How do you know its fantasy?  Well, all the characters are talking like they stepped off the set of Monty Python and the Holy Grail of course!  But they also have gone all this way to diversify up the actors, so why do we need all the fake accents???

Rewatched episode 2 tonight and... It's better upon rewatch. Y'all were right: episode 2 is significantly better than episode 1.
It felt far less rushed this time. On my first watch, I had to remember everything from the books, and that felt a bit overwhelming somehow. But looking at it with fresh eyes, I realize the pace is fine. Also, Shagar Logoth does give the viewer a glimpse of what's to come. Moiraine's story too.
I still don't like what they did with the whitecloaks. Valda is too much of a cartoonish villain for my taste, and burning a wilder would have been enough to establish him as a fanatic. But that scene doesn't last long, so I just hope the next ones are better.

26 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Perrin’s wife was pregnant wasn’t she?

I read it the other way: that she was barren.

The last wave of reviews have been broadly positive, pushing the RT score up to 73% (critics) and 83% (audience), which is impressive given the organised review-bombing campaign by some quarters. Critically, the show is now well above The Witcher's first season (68% critics). Surprisingly, both still trail Shadow and Bone, the first season of which has a slightly inexplicable 88% (only 2% behind GoT's first season). I mean, S&B was solid and fun, but it wasn't that good.

Only 3 episodes down so it'll be interesting to see how it fares. Many of the critics who had the first 6 episodes indicated the improvement continues, and several of them and Brandon Sanderson all rated the sixth episode as the best that they'd seen (no-one's seen the last two yet).

19 hours ago, karaddin said:

On the success of the show, they're already working on season 2 and unless I'm confusing reality for a dream they already greenlit season 3 - they've got time to find their feet and grow the audience, I'm not stressing on that front until we're into season 2.

They haven't greenlit Season 3, but it's probable they've already "amberlit" it (ordered scripts and pre-production work) so they go into it full tilt once they decide to pull the trigger, which is what's caused the confusion. There's no hurry with that since they're still shooting Season 2 until at least February, I believe.

The fact that there is seemingly no division of Saidin/Saidar and that the Dragon can be a woman changes the entire fundamental structure that is Jordan’s world.

”Weep ye for your salvation.” Has no meaning if the Dragon can touch the untainted source.

If we believe the titles of the upcoming Origins episodes, the division between saidin and saidar is still there, or at least the two terms will be used (one episode is called Saidin and Saidar and Stone, so presumably will tap into the One Power and the Stone of Tear; next episode, since it's Logain-heavy, might be the best time to do that). It's possible they might be used in a different way.

So am I alone in thinking the fridged wife of Perrin was actually a darkfriend and likely we will get shown that at some point?

I'm thinking no, because the Shadowspawn, Darkfriends and Myrddraal seem to be under orders to take the five prisoner, so it makes no sense that a Darkfriend Laila would try to kill Perrin, unless the idea is that she was trying to knock him out.

More prosaically:

[spoiler]The showrunner has said no, but there is more backstory to reveal.[/spoiler]

But they also have gone all this way to diversify up the actors, so why do we need all the fake accents???

I'm thinking this might change. The Tuatha'an all have Irish accents, and I wouldn't be surprised to hear other accents as we move further afield. RJ always said that the Two Rivers part of Andor was pretty much English all around.

To be honest, I'd be happy for them to have completely different languages, just all descended from the same origin so somewhat easy for people to learn, with perhaps the Old Tongue still in use as a lingua franca, since the lack of language drift was always a big problem in the books (also in ASoIaF, though it's perhaps ever so moderately more justified there and there's a ton of other languages in the world, whilst there are literally no other languages other than the Old Tongue and the modern tongue on the entire WoT planet).

I might have missed something but they seem to be reluctant to use the word Myrddraal, just calling it fade or eyeless. Which is odd because they’ve fully embraced other fantasy sounding language.

36 minutes ago, john said:

I might have missed something but they seem to be reluctant to use the word Myrddraal, just calling it fade or eyeless. Which is odd because they’ve fully embraced other fantasy sounding language.

Plenty of time, yet. I don't think even in the book was that name given early. Halfman and Fade I think were the first. Here we got the Eyeless, which I think was cleverly done for Dana the darkfriend to say one of the Eyeless, as the audience can connect with the creature leading the Trollocs. And Myrddraal is harder to pronounce.

2 hours ago, Slurktan said:

2 hours ago, Rhom said:

Alternative take: she was a nascent wolfbrother and will become his "guide" in place of hopper.

Amazon have confirmed they are extremely happy with with WoT's launch. It's one of their five top series launches of all time - not just scripted series, but series full stop - meaning it's drawing in viewership numbers within the same level as The BoysThe Marvellous Mrs. Maisel and The Grand Tour, probably ahead of The Expanse. At the moment the show is trending above their expectations, and they rate it as their most successful social media engagement programme of all time. They seem particularly happy with the retention rate: most people who watched Episode 1 went on to watch all three. Some independent trackers said they think the show might actually be the second-most-successful season launch that Amazon have done, behind only The Boys Season 2. Amazon reported "tens of millions" of streams, which would be extremely impressive. For the award-festooned third season of The Marvellous Mrs. Maisel Amazon only confirmed 3 million views on average (I suspect that show's somewhat cheaper than WoT, but it's certainly not cheap either).

They haven't confirmed the Season 3 renewal but have said they expect the show to last for "many years" to come.

33 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Amazon have confirmed they are extremely happy with with WoT's launch. It's one of their five top series launches of all time - not just scripted series, but series full stop - meaning it's drawing in viewership numbers within the same level as The BoysThe Marvellous Mrs. Maisel and The Grand Tour, probably ahead of The Expanse. At the moment the show is trending above their expectations, and they rate it as their most successful social media engagement programme of all time. They seem particularly happy with the retention rate: most people who watched Episode 1 went on to watch all three. Some independent trackers said they think the show might actually be the second-most-successful season launch that Amazon have done, behind only The Boys Season 2. Amazon reported "tens of millions" of streams, which would be extremely impressive. For the award-festooned third season of The Marvellous Mrs. Maisel Amazon only confirmed 3 million views on average (I suspect that show's somewhat cheaper than WoT, but it's certainly not cheap either).

They haven't confirmed the Season 3 renewal but have said they expect the show to last for "many years" to come.

Very interesting. Good for Judkins and crew. Also, I'm happy for those who are liking this show that prospects are looking more positive for its continuation.

I might give this show another shot myself and hope it grows on me.

Archived