What would have happened if Oberyn had won the trial by combat and killed Gregor Clegane instead of making himself vulnerable ?

Tyrion gets cleared, Tywin a priori doesn't die, Tyrion and Sansa are forced to leave to Dorne and that's about it. With Tywin alive. The Lannisters remain firmly on the driver's seat. The Golden Company never supports Young G and they are all waiting for Dany.

I think Oberyn's next obsession is going after Tywin. There's a theory (and I believe it) that Oberyn poisoned Tywin and that he would've died regardless of Tyrion killing him. If it's not true, Oberyn still tries any way he can to kill Tywin and get away with it.

Cersei would want Tyrion dead regardless.  He'd almost have to leave King's Landing. Maybe he goes back to the Rock and slowly assumes power there, again depending on whether Tywin is dead or not.

This is a really good topic/question. Thank you.

He'd have never woken up the next morning and his victory would have been discounted upon review. It may have taken an extra day or two, but we'd have gotten to the same place eventually. I don't think there's any set of circumstances where the Lannisters allow for Tyrion to be exonerated. Oberyn wasn't the only poisoner in Kingslanding at the time.

Simple, it would be a completely different story.

If anyone cares to answer I would seriously like to know why so many waste their time on alternate story lines when there is already plenty to keep you busy that is canon. Not to mention, GRRM does not like nor condone fan fiction.

Maybe "what if's" are just fan fiction disguised as questions in order to declare superiority over the genius of the author's original saga.

Anyways.

:cheers:

6 hours ago, the Other Wolf said:

Yes, and some people are curious to discuss how that might look.

If anyone cares to answer I would seriously like to know why so many waste their time on alternate story lines when there is already plenty to keep you busy that is canon.

To be frank, everything we do on this site is a waste of time. This isn't a productive hobby like drawing or writing, it's just talking about a bit of fiction that some other guy made a long time ago. It seems silly to condemn part of it as a waste of time but not other parts.

Not to mention, GRRM does not like nor condone fan fiction.

Oh, well, far be it from us to defy the will of the Almighty, Our Lord and Savior George. May he be merciful to us for our sinful transgressions.

Discussing plausible alternative ways the story could have developed in a forum setting, with back-and-forth between different posters, is not fanfiction.

Maybe "what if's" are just fan fiction disguised as questions in order to declare superiority over the genius of the author's original saga.

Jeez, I think you need to chill. Why have you taken such an extremely passive-aggressive and condescending attitude to a post like this? Are you, like.... personally offended by the concept of wondering what might have happened if things went differently? This is completely standard affair for any forum dedicated to fiction, or also history. Basically, anything that happened, people will be curious as to how things might have gone differently. It's just human nature. 

17 hours ago, Terrorthatflapsinthenight9 said:

The title says it all, what would have happened if Oberyn hadn't stupidely tried to get Gregor Clegane's confession and put himself in the Mountain's arm reach, and had finished the fight off instead ? 

What would have changed for him, Tyrion, Dorne and the global story in general ? 

I think the confession he took from the mountain was way more important than his life :(

if he had won - without confession, Tyrion wouldn't have killed Tywin but Cersei was more than capable to have both Tyrion and Oberyn murdered without thinking twice about the consequences. I'm guessing she would have been successful in that scheme all to Tywin's dismay who would have sent her back to the Rock. Varys wouldn't go to hiding in this scenario but he'd have Tywin murdered the way he killed Kevan . if not , GC wouldn't join fAegon and they'll have to wait for Dany or go to Mereen and lose a good number of men. who knows what dany might have done with Aegon but I think if Aegon showed up at her doorstep like that , there's more chance that she dismisses him as an unworthy pretender mummer's dragon than she sees him taking Westeros like a Targaryen. 

I think the confession could be helpful for Aegon and if he dies without the dance later for Dany . people who already condemn the ferocity of Targaryens' murders  like Mathis Rowan ( whom I don't remember if he was in kingslanding at the time but sure has heard of the confession ) would be more willing to join Targaryen side against the Lannisters.

On 11/23/2021 at 12:02 AM, the Other Wolf said:

If anyone cares to answer I would seriously like to know why so many waste their time on alternate story lines when there is already plenty to keep you busy that is canon. Not to mention, GRRM does not like nor condone fan fiction.

Anyways.

:cheers:

We get it bro. You're over this childish matter.

You're a serious guy.

Archived