US Politics: Turkeys Available Here

DMC

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Anyway I'm not sure McConaughey would have ran in either primary due to sore loser laws.  He'd have a very hard time beating Abbot in a GOP primary and even Beto would be difficult to defeat in a Dem primary.  Seemed pretty clear he would have run as an Independent.

I think defeating Beto for the Democratic nomination would have been pretty easy actually, assuming that McC had any real political chops.  But it hardly matters now. 

20 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I think defeating Beto for the Democratic nomination would have been pretty easy actually, assuming that McC had any real political chops

Definitely wouldn't have been easy given Beto's institutional support.

24 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I think defeating Beto for the Democratic nomination would have been pretty easy actually, assuming that McC had any real political chops.  But it hardly matters now. 

Wrong party. Democrats are not the party that offer actors and tv personalities with dubious qualifications to run for office. I mean afaik the most political statement from McC was something along the lines of I think the political left went too much to the left, and the right too much to the right. Maybe we should find the middleground again. 

Ah, you said if he had any real political chops. Anyway, given the depth of McC's political thought process, I've an easier time seeing Chuck Norris winning an Oscar for Best Actor than McC winning the Governorship of Texas - unless he is on a GOP ticket, obviously.

7 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Wrong party. Democrats are not the party that offer actors and tv personalities with dubious qualifications to run for office. I mean afaik the most political statement from McC was something along the lines of I think the political left went too much to the left, and the right too much to the right. Maybe we should find the middleground again.

Have you forgotten about Cynthia Nixon's NY Gov run already?  Or for a more successful example, Al Franken? 

3 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Have you forgotten about Cynthia Nixon's NY Gov run already?  Or for a more successful example, Al Franken? 

Also Clay Aiken's North Carolina congressional run, or, going back a bit, Ben Jones served in Congress from 1989-1993. 

And, expanding to other celebrities like professional athletes, Colin Allred is currently in Congress, Heath Shuler used to be in Congress; and Bill Bradley was a two-time NBA champion (he's also an Olympic gold medalist).

6 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Franken had far more political chops than C. Nixon or McC have, and probably ever will. And C. Nixon didn't win the nomination, did she?  I was more thinking of: Schwarzenegger, and the 45th idiot of the USA. If you claimed Clooney might end up running for CA governor as a Democrat some day, I could buy into that one, and I assume his campaign would consist of mroe than a Hasta la vista unpopular tax. 

34 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Speaking of celebrities, Mehmet Oz is planning to run in PA for Toomey's seat (as a Republican).

Dr. Phil will be our next president, apparently. 

Anyway, what's going on with the BBB stuff? I dont think it will get passed this year, so we have essentially wasted 2021.

Probably not given what still has to get passed and the holiday break. Shocking that dragging one's leg tends to lead to shit not getting done...

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

Dr. Phil will be our next president, apparently. 

Probably not given what still has to get passed and the holiday break. Shocking that dragging one's leg tends to lead to shit not getting done...

Sadly this will not help my workload because people are still rushing to get everything done by 12/31 *just in case*.  I’m mad at the Democrats for this reason if nothing else.  WORST YEAR END EVER.

58 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

I dont think it will get passed this year, so we have essentially wasted 2021.

The Senate GOP blocking quick passage of the NDAA isn't a great start but we'll see.  (Why Schumer waited so long to take it up remains somewhat of a mystery.)  Having to pass so much shit and everything looking intractable only for everything to magically come together at the last minute is literally SOP at this point.  Either way, it doesn't mean the entire year was "essentially wasted."

25 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Probably not given what still has to get passed and the holiday break.

LOL, there ain't gonna be no holiday break.  I liked Debbie Stabenow's response to reporters - "We could be in every weekend between now and Christmas, so…sorry."

Just now, IheartIheartTesla said:

I mean we have wasted an opportunity for reconciliation in 2021

The deadline for reconciliation is the fiscal, not calendar, year - i.e. September 30.  The House-passed bill is for FY 2022, as will be the Senate's if/when it passes - regardless if that's before or after the New Year.

1 minute ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Well shoot, then we already wasted 2021 (for reconciliation, I hasten to add). The recovery act

The recovery act was passed through reconciliation for FY 2021...

2 hours ago, sologdin said:

going the opposite direction, jerry springer used his JD to play mayor before he went on to adjudicating claims on television regarding someone who's proud to be a homewrecker or is marrying a horse.

The politician to reality/talk celebrity is really the underrated pipeline.  Who was the first?  *Not a politician, but I remember being shocked to find that G Gordon Liddy turned his Watergate career into a reliable right-wing radio gig.

Who was the first?

after instituting such proto-democratic reforms as freeing athenian slaves and expanding citizenship from noble birth to mere property qualification, radical leftist solon resigned for a career as itinerant poet-sage.  we might therefore conclude that the politician/celebrity talkshow pipeline pre-exists democracy proper.

Supreme Court hears oral arguments in an abortion rights case that could overturn Roe v. Wade. Listen live

Conservative legal activists watch SCOTUS abortion cases with worry over what happens if they lose

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/30/politics/conservative-judges-legal-movement-abortion/index.html

But others say that if the Supreme Court disappoints conservatives with its upcoming rulings, the prevailing lesson is that the vetting process for nominees must be drastically revised -- even if that means dismantling the conservative legal movement in its current form. Advocates for such change said more stakeholders should be consulted in the vetting process and more probing questions about how potential judges might rule in certain cases should be encouraged.

"If the court gets this wrong, future administrations will need to consult a far wider group of people than they have previously, and we need more people in the room asking more direct questions," Bovard said.

Archived