If Sansa hadn't been initially betrothed to Joffrey, to whom Ned may have agreed to betrothe her ?

Let's imagine that Ned had declined Robert's offer to marry Sansa to Joffrey, or that she had already been promised to someone else, and also wasn't married to Tyriok Lannister later in the story, to who do you think that Ned, Catelyn and/or Robb may have agreed to betrothe her amongst northern young lords, heirs or other kingdoms candidates ?

Possible guesses:

• Willas Tyrell (let Sansa get a chance to be with him)
  • Theon Greyjoy (maybe, but not entirely sure)
  • Patrek Mallister (good friends with her uncle Edmure, hails from a high-ranking Riverland house)
  • Jojen Reed (same age as Sansa, would also connect Houses Stark & Reed and strengthen ties with the Neck)
  • A young Frey
  • Another high-ranking Northern house to strengthen ties with them (Manderly, Cerwyn, Tallhart, Glover, etc.)
  • One of Tytos Blackwood's sons (A Blackwood married a Stark at one point, plus Blackwood is another high-ranking Riverland house)
  • I'd probably suggest someone from a Dornish house, like Dayne or Yronwood, but I don't know what Ned's relations with Dorne is actually like.

Ned would have found some honorable Northron or Vale man for her ( is there any Manderley grandsons?) . he would have also more or less cared who Sansa wanted , so , if she liked a Southron and the guy was honorable in Ned's view he'd let her marry him. if our speculations about Ned and Starfallian mutual respect is true , I could see him consider Ned Dayne who is the same age as Sansa

Cat would be more politically aware than Ned .  I can totally see her sending Sansa to Southron castles to find a husband (the way Princess of Dorne did for Elia and Oberyn).. she'd probably start from Riverlands ( maybe Blackwoods who have similar religion and family ties) and then Vale ( so Royces , Waynwoods and Harry the heir, even little Robert would have been good options)... if she could push hard enough , she would find Reach/Dornish bachelors too ( so Redwyne heir or Willas Tyrell or if she really wanted to be ambitious Quentyn ) 

if there was no war and Robb got Winterfell before Sansa was wed and Cat was already dead , he'd even consider Theon!

47 minutes ago, Kinola said:

Willas Tyrell (let Sansa get a chance to be with him)

I think this one is pretty plausible. Ned would approve because of Willas's reputation for honour and decency, and Sansa would approve because of his reputation for chivalry, as well as being the future lady of Highgarden, which is like.... exactly what young Sansa wanted out of life.

44 minutes ago, Kinola said:

Theon Greyjoy (maybe, but not entirely sure)

I don't think this is likely. Not only was Theon a hostage - so Ned could theoretically have to execute him some day - but it would necesitate Sansa having to move to the Iron Islands when Theon became lord, and I don't see Ned willingly putting his daughter at risk like that to keep what would be a pretty weak and uncertain alliance. 

50 minutes ago, Kinola said:
  • Patrek Mallister (good friends with her uncle Edmure, hails from a high-ranking Riverland house)
  • Jojen Reed (same age as Sansa, would also connect Houses Stark & Reed and strengthen ties with the Neck)
  • A young Frey
  • Another high-ranking Northern house to strengthen ties with them (Manderly, Cerwyn, Tallhart, Glover, etc.)
  • One of Tytos Blackwood's sons (A Blackwood married a Stark at one point, plus Blackwood is another high-ranking Riverland house)

All very plausible and sensible choices. I think of all of these, Ned's personal preference would be a marriage with Jojen, because of his friendship with Howland. I doubt Sansa would much like that one though - Greywater Watch is no Highgarden, that's for sure!

52 minutes ago, Kinola said:

I'd probably suggest someone from a Dornish house, like Dayne or Yronwood, but I don't know what Ned's relations with Dorne is actually like.

This has made me very curious as to what Dorne's opinion of Ned. I've almost finished my reread of the series but I can't recall any Dornish characters talking about Ned at any point, unfortunately. 

Ned’s generation appears to have been unique in marrying outside of their region. Sansa probably would have married the firstborn son of one of his vassals, although if Ned had never been Hand (and subsequently gotten killed) he may have eventually considered betrothing her to Theon in order to establish some kind of relationship with the Iron Islands. That said, Ned also may have been overprotective and worried that Sansa wasn’t tough enough for the Iron Islands. But as we learned in ACOK, Sansa’s more resilient than she seems.

I tend to think that Ned would have betrothed Robb to Meera, since he has such high regard for Howland and it would be a good way to create closer ties with the crannogmen. Like I said in another thread though, RobbxAsha would have likely been the most politically advantageous match, and they could have made one hell of a power couple. It would have certainly pleased their grandfathers. The only downside is that it would have taken Asha away from her ship.

1 hour ago, WhatAnArtist! said:

This has made me very curious as to what Dorne's opinion of Ned. I've almost finished my reread of the series but I can't recall any Dornish characters talking about Ned at any point, unfortunately. 

Edric Dayne talks about Ned and Ashara with Arya in ASOS. He is a child, so everything he knows about Ned Stark comes from other people, especially his family. Ned is the guy who killed his uncle, Arthur Dayne, and allegedly had an affair with his aunt, Ashara Dayne, who threw herself from a tower after Ned arrived at Starfall with her brother's sword after Ned had killed him. Edric seems to believe about the affair and must know about Ser Arthur's death but despite that he doesn't seems to have any grudges or bad blood towards Ned Stark that I expected a Dayne to have. Edric even mentions that he and Jon Snow had the same wet nurse, Wylla, probably a servant to the Daynes and Edric's surname is Ned.

1 hour ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Like I said in another thread though, RobbxAsha would have likely been the most politically advantageous match, and they could have made one hell of a power couple. It would have certainly pleased their grandfathers. The only downside is that it would have taken Asha away from her ship.

Agreed, Robb+Asha would have been a really prosperous marriage except for the fact that Asha is a little too much promiscuous for Robb's tastes.

1 minute ago, Brynden"Bloodraven" Rivers said:

Agreed, Robb+Asha would have been a really prosperous marriage except for the fact that Asha is a little too much promiscuous for Robb's tastes.

she would have been good for him though. maybe she could teach him honor doesn't have to be so strict.

3 hours ago, Brynden"Bloodraven" Rivers said:

Hey, according to Jeyne they were doing it multiple times a day ;) 

Another reason why I like this pair is because Asha seems to respect him as a warrior, given the way she mentions his record during her kingsmoot speech (I think she calls him the Young Wolf too).

2 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Hey, according to Jeyne they were doing it multiple times a day ;) 

I believe @Brynden “Bloodraven”Riversmeans Asha wasn't a maiden anymore. Most of Westeros is very strict about women being virgin until their marriage.

Robb broke a marriage pact and married a girl he barely knew 'cause she was a maiden he deflowered. I don't think he would feel ok about marry a woman that many men would call wanton.

6 hours ago, Odej said:

I believe @Brynden “Bloodraven”Riversmeans Asha wasn't a maiden anymore. Most of Westeros is very strict about women being virgin until their marriage.

Robb broke a marriage pact and married a girl he barely knew 'cause she was a maiden he deflowered. I don't think he would feel ok about marry a woman that many men would call wanton.

Agreed. Robb wouldn't demean Asha for this reason - he was too chivalrous for that - but as the son of Ned Stark, I don't think he'd view it as befitting the honour of a great lord to marry a woman with Asha's sexual history.

How about Renly?  He's high ranking, fairly young, good looking, and enjoys luxury and entertainment.  Yes, he's gay, but as long as he can occasionally have sex and father some children, it should be OK.  Sansa would probably be quite happy. 

Archived